Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Splitting the Gig Money

Two friends play a gig. Friend A drives. They get paid $1600 for the gig. Gas is $50. Friend A gets $50 from the pot of $1600 since he drove. How much does each friend get out of the $1600?

Show your work.

Splitting the Gig Money
  1. How much does each friend get29 votes
    1. Friend A gets $850. Friend B gets $750.
      20.69%
    2. Friend A gets $825. Friend B gets $775
      65.52%
    3. Other.
      13.79%

Comments

• 1600 - 50 = 1550

1550 ÷ 2 = 775

775 + 50 = 825

Am I missing something?

• @richardyot said:
    1600 - 50 = 1550

1550 ÷ 2 = 775

775 + 50 = 825

Am I missing something?

What if we split first, 800 each.

Then Friend B gives 50 to Friend A. 850/750 split.

The reason is order of operations. But which is the right thing to do? Friend A should get their full due right? The 825/775 split means Friend A contributed 25 to gas. Right? Haha.

Hence the post…

• @richardyot said:
    1600 - 50 = 1550

1550 ÷ 2 = 775

775 + 50 = 825

Am I missing something?

I would do the split before taking out gas, that’s the difference. To me, it’s like basing your tip on the total before any discounts at a restaurant.

So 1600/2 = 800 + 50 = 850

• @mjcouche said:

@richardyot said:
    1600 - 50 = 1550

1550 ÷ 2 = 775

775 + 50 = 825

Am I missing something?

What if we split first, 800 each.

Then Friend B gives 50 to Friend A. 850/750 split.

The reason is order of operations. But which is the right thing to do? Friend A should get their full due right? The 825/775 split means Friend A contributed 25 to gas. Right? Haha.

Hence the post…

The expenses are deducted before the profit split, that's standard accounting practice. You get the gross, deduct expenses, then split the profit. It's the only fair way to do it.

• How much for wear and tear on the motor? 😂

• IME, any business -- big or small -- deducts operational expenses first. Especially something like gas money where there is nothing left for anyone to possibly keep and use personally.

So take the gas out first, then split the profits for the earnings.

• 2 questions- where are you finding duo gigs that pay $1600 (well done!), and why did you only get half a tank of gas?

• Did friend B help push the car to the gas station so that the gas could be purchased? Who bought the ramen so the duo could eat for the next week? Most importantly, which one of A or B owns the PA?

(Sorry, question induced flashbacks to the 70's.)

• Which Friend wrote the songs?

• Who played the most notes?

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:
    Which Friend wrote the songs?

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. Might be more than you want to tackle this time. But it should matter.

• First of all, where are you able to fill up for $50?

• How much were the lawyer fees?

• Okay you jokers.

Friend A drove his own car, owns the PA, and most original songs (others are cover) are written by Friend A. Friend A also played the most notes.

No cars were pushed in the making of this gig. Dinner was provided at said gig.

Hour drive (one way), not the whole tank.

• edited May 2022

50/50 everything. The gig pays 50 for the fuel. You split the rest. Theoretically the fuel money is already gone as you spent it when you filled up the band bus.

I'm in a similar situation. To much haggling over money leads to trouble. If you want to keep the band, play nice.

• A band is no different from running a small business and everything should be treated as such. Expenses get submitted to the company for reimbursement. No matter if it's a one-person band or a large group, the same rules apply to everyone.

• You forgot to tip the bartender so she continues in the future to let you drink unlimited on tap instead of holding you to a lame 5-per-band limit.

• @mjcouche said:
    Okay you jokers.

Friend A drove his own car, owns the PA, and most original songs (others are cover) are written by Friend A. Friend A also played the most notes.

No cars were pushed in the making of this gig. Dinner was provided at said gig.

Hour drive (one way), not the whole tank.

You’re at the same place for the same amount of time? You spent the same amount of time practicing, helping to support a lead writer who thinks he’s awesome? You make the same amount of money. Unless you’re just a hired gun for a more established artist, obviously. The only thing that can be argued is that the drummer is owed a little kickback for the extra labor. Normally this can be covered by simply bumming him smokes, though.

• @mjcouche said:
    Okay you jokers.

So, factor that as operational costs "as a band". Remove the operational costs, but neither friend pockets that amount as profit. Instead, put it in a "band account" which serves to fund other projects, fix broken PA systems, buy new gears etc...

Then take the remaining profit, and split it among yourselves.

If you're feeling underpaid for your efforts as an individual, start an independent side project. But as a band, remember that not everyone has the same amount of knowledge, experience, or resources.

• I think since Gödel and Wittgenstein did their work, the neutrality of the relationship between humans and words was promised forever. They rode in an electric car / There was a third person (e.g. manager) as a subjective viewpoint of the story / They drove from the top of a mountain in a car with the engine off and down the road to the gig location at the bottom of the mountain / The gig location straddled a border and they were in two different countries with different tax rates and tax laws (i.e. world tour), etc. (So my answer is "Other.")

• edited June 2022

@seonnthaproducer said:

@mjcouche said:
    Okay you jokers.

So, factor that as operational costs "as a band". Remove the operational costs, but neither friend pockets that amount as profit. Instead, put it in a "band account" which serves to fund other projects, fix broken PA systems, buy new gears etc...

If you're feeling underpaid for your efforts as an individual, start an independent side project. But as a band, remember that not everyone has the same amount of knowledge, experience, or resources.

One thing to remember about a band (which also applies to a business, by the way)... if everyone is in charge, then no one is in charge.

One person should be designated the point person/final decision maker on band decisions, even if all band members must "sign off" on important (especially money-based) decisions. And even if other members don't care about the money very much, they should be informed what things are costing them when they go into the studio or on tour. I'm guessing most bands and most band members don't ever recover their expenses because they don't pay attention to mounting costs and losses.

• edited June 2022

Its like any other gig or job. You agree on a number BEFORE services are rendered.
    I like to know what Im walking away with before the doing work rather than after.

• I regularly play guitar with a singer. I nearly always pick her up and drop her off. To simplify things, lets only include the place we play where I don't need to bring my tiny PA. Also, travel time to this gig is 10 minutes tops, half that if i was not picking her up. And it's a covers gig.

We split the $300 fee (minus tax) fee 50/50, and I never ask for gas contributions. Even though the complicating factors are that I have a $4000 amp, $2000 guitar and 2 mics, and she has 1 mic. And i pretty much set up and pack up everything. BUT... The audience looks at her 95% of the time, thank her about 3 times as often as they thank me. Songs are about the singer, so there's that. Sometimes I might feel slightly resentful that I'm not getting my full dues, but most of the time I feel lucky to be doing this, helping people have a nice time, playing for a really talented singer and performer. I think it's important keep the nit-picky side of your personality in check, as long as you don't actually feel like you're being taken for granted.

Even when I occasionally do gigs with original bands, the fee is split evenly usually, because the artist needs the band, and kinda gets the glory. These are originals gigs with artists who are only known locally of course, and not exactly riding round in limos.

That's my experience FWIW

• What about their manager's 25%? :smiley:

• @Simon said:
    What about their manager's 25%? :smiley:

15% merch tax taken by the venue too 😡

• Alternatively, this thread itself could be some kind of encrypted communication from A to B. (a pastiche of Sherlock Holmes)

• @SimonSomeone I like your outlook on this

• What do The KLF have to say on the matter?

When it comes to what to do with the proceeds from musical ventures they are the definitive experts in such matters.

• @NeuM said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@mjcouche said:
    Okay you jokers.

One thing to remember about a band (which also applies to a business, by the way)... if everyone is in charge, then no one is in charge.

One person should be designated the point person/final decision maker on band decisions, even if all band members must "sign off" on important (especially money-based) decisions. And even if other members don't care about the money very much, they should be informed what things are costing them when they go into the studio or on tour. I'm guessing most bands and most band members don't ever recover their expenses because they don't pay attention to mounting costs and losses.

Agreed. Very true.

• edited July 2023

Hey! Let's break it down. The gig paid $1600, and Friend A receives $50 for driving. So, we deduct that $50 from the total, leaving us with $1550. Now, we need to split that between two friends. Since both friends contributed equally to the gig, they each got half of the remaining amount. So, each friend would receive $775. By the way, if you ever need a mortgage broker in Market Weighton, there's a reliable service you can check out. They can assist you in finding the right mortgage options.