Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ableton AUv3 Support in Beta

Comments

• edited May 2022

@Pynchon said:

@mistercharlie said:
    Drambo runs fine. I haven’t yet worked out how to route its MIDI to instruments in Ableton.

Also, all my Eventide apps work. They still run from the time it was possible to side load your own already-purchased apps from ios to Mac. The plugin UI doesn’t load, but all parameters are available.

Wait, if you update MacOS, the installed iOS apps will still launch? I thought that they stopped working.

If you can confirm this, I will install the first version of Big Sur on an external hard disk, to install all my iOS apps. Moving them to my main partition, once they have been validated.

If I can use Auditor on my Macbook Air, it will be a dream. My favorite audio editor, I haven't found something as powerful and intuitive at the same time in desktop.

Also, please someone can confirm if Igor Vasiliev AUv3 plugins are loading correctly under Ableton Live? I haven't been able to make SynthScaper LE to work in the rest of AUv3 hosts.

Igors apps are NOT working as AUV3s (they do as standalone) 😢😢😢

I don't have Synthscaper LE so I can't say if that works. For instruments I only have Synthscaper and Fieldscaper but those are only IAA

• edited May 2022

Man I really wish ios Mixbox was available as AUv3 in Live but since they already have legit versions I know it's not gonna happen :/

• @shazbot said:

@Pynchon said:

@mistercharlie said:
    Drambo runs fine. I haven’t yet worked out how to route its MIDI to instruments in Ableton.

Also, all my Eventide apps work. They still run from the time it was possible to side load your own already-purchased apps from ios to Mac. The plugin UI doesn’t load, but all parameters are available.

Wait, if you update MacOS, the installed iOS apps will still launch? I thought that they stopped working.

If you can confirm this, I will install the first version of Big Sur on an external hard disk, to install all my iOS apps. Moving them to my main partition, once they have been validated.

If I can use Auditor on my Macbook Air, it will be a dream. My favorite audio editor, I haven't found something as powerful and intuitive at the same time in desktop.

Also, please someone can confirm if Igor Vasiliev AUv3 plugins are loading correctly under Ableton Live? I haven't been able to make SynthScaper LE to work in the rest of AUv3 hosts.

I don't have Synthscaper LE so I can't say if that works. For instruments I only have Synthscaper and Fieldscaper but those are only IAA

Last time that I tested his AUv3s (SynthScaper LE, SoundSaw, Beatcutter, AltiSpace 2), none of them worked.

And yeah, I know that all load correctly in standalone. Indeed, I hace a super complex audio setup with virtual ports, to emulate the IAA functionality of FieldScaper (I can send audio from my DAW to its mic input, and then processing its audio signal back to my DAW). It's one of my most used MacOS apps!

• edited May 2022

@Pynchon said:

@shazbot said:

@Pynchon said:

@mistercharlie said:

Last time that I tested his AUv3s (SynthScaper LE, SoundSaw, Beatcutter, AltiSpace 2), none of them worked.

And yeah, I know that all load correctly in standalone. Indeed, I hace a super complex audio setup with virtual ports, to emulate the IAA functionality of FieldScaper (I can send audio from my DAW to its mic input, and then processing its audio signal back to my DAW). It's one of my most used MacOS apps!

They really are something special. Fingers crossed. 🤞🏽

Can you explain your setup or have a diagram? I messed about with different configurations and programs, even tried making max patches to try different serial/parallel configurations but in the end there didn't seem to be any other outcome that was different from using Blackhole 2 Out :/

• I have to say, the sonic richness of Fractal Bits really shines when you put it through Arturias Bus Force presets 🤯

• @shazbot said:

@Pynchon said:

@shazbot said:

@Pynchon said:

@mistercharlie said:

Can you explain your setup or have a diagram? I messed about with different configurations and programs, even tried making max patches to try different serial/parallel configurations but in the end there didn't seem to be any other outcome that was different from using Blackhole 2 Out :/

I first tried Blackhole, and it was impossible, to send and receive audio at the same time. The only way that I found was Rogue Amoeba Loopback Audio. Some day with time, I will try to write a guide with pictures. But summarizing, you need to create a Loopback virtual device with two channels. Using this as the default input in your Mac general audio settings (instead of the microphone). Then, creating other separated Loopback virtual audio device with two channels, that will serve as the output. And then, using the patchbay included in Loopback Audio to route the audio of FieldScaper to these two output channels. Then, in your DAW, send the audio to the Loopback input. And create an audio track with the Loopback output.

• @Pynchon said:

@shazbot said:

@Pynchon said:

@shazbot said:

@Pynchon said:

@mistercharlie said:

I first tried Blackhole, and it was impossible, to send and receive audio at the same time. The only way that I found was Rogue Amoeba Loopback Audio. Some day with time, I will try to write a guide with pictures. But summarizing, you need to create a Loopback virtual device with two channels. Using this as the default input in your Mac general audio settings (instead of the microphone). Then, creating other separated Loopback virtual audio device with two channels, that will serve as the output. And then, using the patchbay included in Loopback Audio to route the audio of FieldScaper to these two output channels. Then, in your DAW, send the audio to the Loopback input. And create an audio track with the Loopback output.

Ah, ok. Nothing too complicated. I don't remember having a problem sending and receiving at the same time because the Multi-output setup worked but the problem is the apps themselves don't allow you to set which channels you want to route to (but why should they when they're ios apps?) so there's no option except for each app to return on the same virtual out.

Anyway I'll look at Loopback Audio again. I didn't really see a difference between Rogues apps except for aesthetics. Thanks.

• @shazbot said:

@Pynchon said:

@shazbot said:

@Pynchon said:

@shazbot said:

@Pynchon said:

@mistercharlie said:

Ah, ok. Nothing too complicated. I don't remember having a problem sending and receiving at the same time because the Multi-output setup worked but the problem is the apps themselves don't allow you to set which channels you want to route to (but why should they when they're ios apps?) so there's no option except for each app to return on the same virtual out.

Anyway I'll look at Loopback Audio again. I didn't really see a difference between Rogues apps except for aesthetics. Thanks.

The difference is that in addition to create virtual audio interfaces (same as Blackhole), Loopback also has the option to route the audio signals with its internal patchbay (this is missing in Blackhole). So it doesn't mind if iOS apps don't let you to choose the output, you will use the patchbay tool for this. Not to talk that you can create as many virtual audio interfaces as you need.

But if someone figure out how to do the same routing with Blackhole, please post the results. I tried everything for an entire week, without luck.

• Yup, figured it out in Loopback. So I have separate inputs for Beatcutter and SpaceFields in Live now. And the bonus is they both support Link!

So technically it's working.
    The only thing I don't get is, Beatcutter as a source is outputting as expected, but Spacefields as a source isn't, it's outputting from Loopbacks Pass-thru...
    It still works when you choose the respective inputs in Live, but instead of routing from SF as a source you have to route from LB's pass-thru. Weird.

Anyway, yeah, I'd like to find the same thing but without having to pay 100. You can't even reorder the sources, rename the output channels, no right-click options....🙄

But hey, it works.

Say, are you able to route audio to Beatcutters specific inputs? Probly not possible on Mac atm....

• @Pynchon said:

I would be very interested to hear if you get this working, it is a good idea.

• This is seriously awesome. Skipping through Animoog or Model 15 patches I’ve made years (or even a decade??) ago in Live, on a laptop, is a lot of fun. The AUv3 plugins appear more stable than with a wrapper, although they still steal the keyboard focus.

Sadly not everything from Burns Audio’s Spectrum Synthesizer Bundle works, namely Resonator and Spectrum. Also, the FX version (?) of SpaceCraft crashed Live. Drambo‘s window (how awesome is that 😍) could be a bit bigger.

I also love that Fractal Bits remembers its saved state. And I don’t understand why miRack is still Intel.

Now I want more apps :p Where’s Zeeon for example? Or …let’s dream for a second… an Elastic Beats AUv3?

• edited May 2022

@shazbot said:
    Yup, figured it out in Loopback. So I have separate inputs for Beatcutter and SpaceFields in Live now. And the bonus is they both support Link!

So technically it's working.
    The only thing I don't get is, Beatcutter as a source is outputting as expected, but Spacefields as a source isn't, it's outputting from Loopbacks Pass-thru...
    It still works when you choose the respective inputs in Live, but instead of routing from SF as a source you have to route from LB's pass-thru. Weird.

Anyway, yeah, I'd like to find the same thing but without having to pay 100. You can't even reorder the sources, rename the output channels, no right-click options....🙄

But hey, it works.

Say, are you able to route audio to Beatcutters specific inputs? Probly not possible on Mac atm....

Never tried BeatCutter in MacOS! For me, when it really shines is as an AUv3 unit, processing various live inputs. I think that as a standalone app, it can only process a single live source (but maybe I'm wrong, never used the standalone app in iPad!).

The worst part of Loopback Audio is not the price, is that it forces you to disable the security boot on your Mac.

But for me, it's worth for having FieldScaper processing the audio in Bitwig.

Also, it's much more easier to manage external samples (once you figure out the location of the FieldScaper folder, which is an iOS container placed on an hidden folder, lost in your user account library).

• True, I still have an old jam I wanted to put up where I used the Streemur app to feed Alex Jones's live show into one of of BC's inputs along with DrumComputer on another (but I'm green screening bits of Jones vids and making them sl-mo to go along with the video first)

Still, every time I load BC and SF up a couple hours fly by.

Here's how I set it up. Also the weird SF output fixed itself when I switched Macs inputs back and forth.
    For some reason it won't allow full screen even on YT?

• @Pynchon said:

@shazbot said:

@Pynchon said:

@shazbot said:

@Pynchon said:

@shazbot said:

@Pynchon said:

@mistercharlie said:

The difference is that in addition to create virtual audio interfaces (same as Blackhole), Loopback also has the option to route the audio signals with its internal patchbay (this is missing in Blackhole). So it doesn't mind if iOS apps don't let you to choose the output, you will use the patchbay tool for this. Not to talk that you can create as many virtual audio interfaces as you need.

But if someone figure out how to do the same routing with Blackhole, please post the results. I tried everything for an entire week, without luck.

@Pynchon said:

@shazbot said:

@Pynchon said:

@shazbot said:

@Pynchon said:

@shazbot said:

@Pynchon said:

@mistercharlie said:

My .02 cents = Aggregate and multi-output devices work, and for a free utility, you can do most everything with Blackhole. Loopback makes it easier, and you can quickly switch off routings and devices you aren't using - it's just a much easier workflow if you're doing a lot of routing. It also captures Siri, Voice Over, Finder... and you can adjust the volumes on all the devices and their channels individually, which I don't think can be done in Blackhole (or rather with aggregate/multi-output devices in macOS). I think with Blackhole you've also got to always include your Mac as the Master device in aggregate devices, which isn't a limitation, but I guess you'd just mute the output if you didn't want sound playing out through the built in speakers. SoundSource is probably more akin to Blackhole, but then it's also an AUv3 host and has built in FX as well. But then again, you can also run multiple instances of Blackhole simultaneously, and adjust their channel counts, but it does take a bit of extra configuring, but doing so gives some more routing options. For me, I run all my home audio through the Mac(s), with Dante on most my analogue speakers, HomePods, synths and the like, so it's an easy decision for the value. I also happen to like my interactions with the Rogue team, been very pleasant dialogues. I'd have to say Blackhole makes it for many needs tho.

• do we have a list / thread somewhere on the forum of ipad apps that work on M1 currently? i got excited this past weekend when i realized piano motifs and riffler both work on desktop flawlessly.

• Looks like midi AUs are not working: Zoa, Bud apps, etc.

• @Pynchon said:

The worst part of Loopback Audio is not the price, is that it forces you to disable the security boot on your Mac.

This is more Apple scare tactics than an actual security problem. Also, I’m almost certain you can switch it back on again after installation.

• @shinyisshiny said:
    do we have a list / thread somewhere on the forum of ipad apps that work on M1 currently? i got excited this past weekend when i realized piano motifs and riffler both work on desktop flawlessly.

I started a list here. Maybe you could add those two?

• Beepstreet's RadioUnit is now available on Mac!!

• Koala FX works perfectly. I have it mapped to a Nanokontrol 2, and all my knob twists get recorded as automation. Great stuff.

Also, the iOS version of Koala will work in Ableton, although the midi AU doesn’t record midi, and the audio one doesn’t respond to MIDI keyboard input.

This seems to be a common problem in several AUs

• @mistercharlie said:
    Koala FX works perfectly. I have it mapped to a Nanokontrol 2, and all my knob twists get recorded as automation. Great stuff.

Also, the iOS version of Koala will work in Ableton, although the midi AU doesn’t record midi, and the audio one doesn’t respond to MIDI keyboard input.

This seems to be a common problem in several AUs

Hey, @mistercharlie , probably you missed this in the discussion :)

But please, can you confirm if after updating MacOS, the installed iOS apps using Big Sur using the .ipa trick, will still open? Or only the AUv3s are working, and not the standalone apps?

• @Pynchon I think I installed my iOS Eventide apps using the ipa files, and they still run on my Mac. I did that on Big Sur, now running Monterey.

So while I’m not certain, it seems to be working for me.

• @mistercharlie said:
    @Pynchon I think I installed my iOS Eventide apps using the ipa files, and they still run on my Mac. I did that on Big Sur, now running Monterey.

So while I’m not certain, it seems to be working for me.

Many thanks for the info! I'm creating a USB installer with Big Sur 11.2.3, the latest version in which it was possible to do the .ipa trick. My idea is to install this on an external hard disk, and then installing all my iOS apps using the .ipa files created with iMazing.

Then, the idea is to move the validated installed apps with its containers, to my main Monterey partition. If this works, I only will need to boot the external Big Sur partition every time that I want to install a new iOS app.

In theory it should work, let's see!

• So, apparently, midi au won't be supported yet, they are only adding instrument and fx functionality like auv2. I submitted a bug report last night and they asked me to put in a feature request, because this is out of scope right now. Bummer.

• Stoked! Another step in unifying the MacBook and iPad.

• @Pynchon said:

Then, the idea is to move the validated installed apps with its containers, to my main Monterey partition. If this works, I only will need to boot the external Big Sur partition every time that I want to install a new iOS app.

In theory it should work, let's see!

It should. I moved the apps from one Mac to another just by copying the app file.

@auxmux said:
    So, apparently, midi au won't be supported yet, they are only adding instrument and fx functionality like auv2. I submitted a bug report last night and they asked me to put in a feature request, because this is out of scope right now. Bummer.

Serious bummer. Drambo as a MIDI sequencer was the whole reason I was getting excited about this. Are you saying that it cannot work like that?

• edited June 2022

Correct, only audio devices - synths and fx are supported. Midi out is not option for any of the AUs when I tested.

Midi out from VSTs from Ableton is problematic to begin with because it merges midi out from VSTs into just a single midi channel.

• At least Koala FX is awesome in Ableton.

• That it is.