Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beginning 3rd week with new Mac mini M1

I have been an iPad user for quite a few years but it's my first Mac computer. So I have no problem running older software as I don't have any!

As my 2 Windows machines are getting old (12 and 6 years respectively) I am planning to use the Mini for music, sound design and create some videos. That computer is as quiet as a tablet and it keeps its cool! I will (hopefully) take the occasion to trim down my music software.

The software I use the most on a desktop nowadays are audio editors and iZotope RX Advanced license can be installed on both macOS and Windows at the same time! And the same goes for Reaper and Native Instruments, so I am all set there.

I will miss Sound Forge though as the Mac version does not support video like the Win version. Twisted Wave will likely replace it.

To replace the Win sample browsers I have, I found 2 great apps: Audioease Snapper and Atlas 2 (license valid for Windows too!).

So far I was able to install the following iOS apps that I already owned:
Drambo 2, Moog synths (Animoog Z, Model 15), Koala Sampler, Goldwave Audio Editor, Lumafusion (yeah!!!) and Sunrizer.

And it's great to play pinball! But I will probably not install other games except for some Solitaire and Mahjong.

Comments

• Nice, I didn’t know LumaFusion worked on the Mac!

The M1 Mac mini is just great. Silent, tiny, fast, just perfect for music. And don’t forget that you can use you iPad as a wireless, touch-enabled monitor for the Mac. And then there’s Universal Control, which is excellent.

What kind of music things do you plan for it, that can’t be done (or aren’t as easy) on the iPad?

• edited May 2022

I bought the entry Mini M1 a couple of month ago - excellent value for money.
    Monterey is the 1st MacOS after 10.6.8 that delivered a noticeable improvement (for me), so I‘m really happy with the purchase.
    Respect for Rosetta... with Crossover (Wine for lazy ones) I got 90% of the performance of an equally clocked Intel i5, even could run SAW Studio without graphic glitches, and it felt exactly like on the Win7 machine.
    Interface support is limited to a 2 channel USB standard thing, but no problems with sound.

• @mistercharlie said:
    The M1 Mac mini is just great. Silent, tiny, fast, just perfect for music. And don’t forget that you can use you iPad as a wireless, touch-enabled monitor for the Mac. And then there’s Universal Control, which is excellent.

What kind of music things do you plan for it, that can’t be done (or aren’t as easy) on the iPad?

Hi,
    Indeed silent and fast!

When I create the Memory Collection packs, I like to watch the movie while extracting the audio I want to use. Both Sound Forge pro (Win) and Twisted Wave (Mac) allow me to do it but with SF Pro I can also copy a frame of the movie and open it in an image editor to save it, TW does do that at the moment but I have contacted the developer and he may add it. Of course not everyone needs this feature!

Other things I am missing from Sound Forge Pro (or haven't found how to do yet in TW) are saving loop points info with wav files, ability to save effects or processes presets for instance.

On Windows, Resonic is an efficient and simple wav file player/browser that allows to copy and paste files but there seems to be some nice options on the Mac, Snapper is pretty cool though different and not free.

@Telefunky Thanks for sharing your experience. All the NI stuff currently needs Rosetta so I am running Reaper in Rosetta mode and everything works flawlessly so far!

• Just remember, you can also run a bootable version of Windows on Macs. So if you want or need, you can still run both macOS and Windows.

https://osxdaily.com/2022/04/14/how-run-windows-11-m1-mac/

• Thanks NeuM, will check that out!

• Crossover was a smooth experience back then around 2010 on Intel Macs.
    From time to time I tried some of the follow-up releases... and trashed them the next day.
    (it seemed to get more and more bloated with annoying screen response)

So no high hopes on the current version, but it was really stunning. B)
    (new license bought instead of trashing this time)

• @NeuM said:
    Just remember, you can also run a bootable version of Windows on Macs. So if you want or need, you can still run both macOS and Windows.

Yeah, UTM works great on M1 for WIN11. Congrats on M1, it's a great device. Using one right now to type this, LOL.

• @auxmux said:

@NeuM said:
    Just remember, you can also run a bootable version of Windows on Macs. So if you want or need, you can still run both macOS and Windows.

Yeah, UTM works great on M1 for WIN11. Congrats on M1, it's a great device. Using one right now to type this, LOL.

Same here. I absolutely love my M1 iMac. Any M1 macOS computer right now is a spectacular improvement over the Intel chip based computers.

• I'll add my good thoughts about the M1 Mini... It's pretty amazing. I paid a bit more for a bigger disk and more memory, but I throw EVERYTHING at it without a problem. I'm also running Parallels with Win11 Pro (I'm an old Windows guy) and Windows stuff runs just fine. I saw a mention about LumaFusion above and it works very well on the Mini.

• Hi auxmux, NeuM and motmeister!

I am favourably impressed so far, great computer!
    I got a refurbished from Apple and was able to save roughly $150 CAD on a 16 GB with 1 TB drive.

I am looking forward to switch my Lumafusion video production from the iPad to it. And I had fun playing Moog Model 15 (AUv3) in Reaper!

• I have a Roland A-49 MIDI keyboard and it sees the Mini M1 as an iPad. Meaning that when I connect the A-49 to an iPad I have to hold 2 keys while connecting it and I have to do the same to connect it to the M1!

Yesterday I played Sunrizer stand alone on the Mini, and Fractal Bits works too!