Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looping where you can choose to “print FX” or not, and then maybe go back

I’ve got two hardware loopers I like a lot: the Soma Cosmos and the Chase Bliss Blooper.

I am trying to recreate aspects of them in iOS. Both of them have “destructive”effects. On Blooper, you can choose to have a filter “before” or “after” the loop so that you can record the filter sound and move on, or not. But, you can also return to the previous version of the loop.

On Cosmos, both the filters and the distortion are destructive. So is the feedback between loops (and they are also “drift.”

I’m curious what the best way to set this sort of thing up would be in iOS. I’ve bought lots of apps so I’m more interested in the how than the what. It’s theoretically possible with Enso in AUM or maybe with Loopy Pro or Gauss in Drambo or vice-versa. But my layout gets too complex too fast for real time performance. Which suggests that the people at Soma and Chase Bliss know what they’re doing.

Comments

• Sure I would just set up multiple channels/instances of Enso in AUM and put the fx after so you can remove them non destructively.

• Destructive is easy. Make an AUM channel with Gauss in the fx slot. Set Gauss to overdub. Send the Gauss output through delays/filters/granulators. Send the fx outputs to the Gauss input.

Non-destructive? Hit the Gauss undo button.

• @JES000000 said:
    I’ve got two hardware loopers I like a lot: the Soma Cosmos and the Chase Bliss Blooper.

I am trying to recreate aspects of them in iOS. Both of them have “destructive”effects. On Blooper, you can choose to have a filter “before” or “after” the loop so that you can record the filter sound and move on, or not. But, you can also return to the previous version of the loop.

On Cosmos, both the filters and the distortion are destructive. So is the feedback between loops (and they are also “drift.”

I’m curious what the best way to set this sort of thing up would be in iOS. I’ve bought lots of apps so I’m more interested in the how than the what. It’s theoretically possible with Enso in AUM or maybe with Loopy Pro or Gauss in Drambo or vice-versa. But my layout gets too complex too fast for real time performance. Which suggests that the people at Soma and Chase Bliss know what they’re doing.

In Loopy Pro, effects can bd recorded or applied non-destructively.

• wimwim
    edited May 2022

There are lots of ways you could do this in AUM or directly in Loopy Pro. One way in AUM:

• Set up a channel with input from mix bus L and Loopy Pro (or other AU Looper) as the first FX.
    • Add a bus send to bus F right after Loopy
    • Set up a channel with input from mix bus F as the input and add your FX.
    • Add a Loopy instance after the FX for wet recording
    • Set up the input channel you want to record with a pre-fader bus send to bus L

To record dry, mute the Loopy Pro channel and set its bus send to F to 100%.
    To record wet use the Loopy instance on bus F. Stop the Dry loop (or bypass the plugin) once recorded.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Destructive is easy. Make an AUM channel with Gauss in the fx slot. Set Gauss to overdub. Send the Gauss output through delays/filters/granulators. Send the fx outputs to the Gauss input.

Important: turn monitoring off in Gauss, so you don’t create a feedback loop.

• Bumping this old thread. I’m now trying to recreate another aspect of the Blooper that I like: the “layers” function. You can think of it as several stage of undo and redo, but what is fun is that with the layers knob, I can easily jump between layer 2 and layer 5, which is great in building up a piece and then moving around different parts.

So is there an iOS looper that allows jumping between layers of undo and redo?

• Thank you!