Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala in AUM MIDI questions.

I searched the forum and Youtube and really couldn't find answers to most of my questions. I plan to host Koala in AUM and use Atom Piano Roll 2 (once I purchase it) to trigger MIDI events. My first question is "How do you trigger pads in Koala via MIDI", and this video succinctly explained it.

But I still have questions.

1. Can you trigger the sequences in Koala AUv3 via Atom 2, and if so, what notes on Atom trigger the sequences?

2. Can you automate various parameters in Koala AUv3 via Atom 2, and if so, how do I go about it?

3. Is there a way to use Atom 2 to trigger one pad melodically, or do I need to put each melodic note on its own pad?

Any answers you can give me to help me will be greatly appreciated! (Koala Sampler is definitely my favourite sampler app on the appstore!)

Comments

• Okay, I figured it out. The magic is in the MIDI mapping, which I didn't realise existed, lol.

But, I still want to know if it's possible to play one pad melodically in Koala, or not.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Okay, I figured it out. The magic is in the MIDI mapping, which I didn't realise existed, lol.

But, I still want to know if it's possible to play one pad melodically in Koala, or not.

On the sequence page, tap the piano and select a pad to play it chromatically using scales etc.
    As I mostly use Koala on the iPad and iPhone without a controller I'm not sure how it works over midi...

• @Samu said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Okay, I figured it out. The magic is in the MIDI mapping, which I didn't realise existed, lol.

On the sequence page, tap the piano and select a pad to play it chromatically using scales etc.
    As I mostly use Koala on the iPad and iPhone without a controller I'm not sure how it works over midi...

Thanks mate! :) I appreciate it.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Samu said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Thanks mate! :) I appreciate it.

I think if it’s in chromatic mode in koala, the midi plays that one pad chromatically, but if koala is in regular/pad mode, the midi plays each pad individually. Dont hold me to that, but I’m pretty sure that’s how it went last time I tried something similar.

• Does anyone know if koala can output midi from its built in patterns?

• I, too, want Koala pads to be triggered by a sequencer. I found this thread; I watched the video; I set up my midi map in Koala using the AUM keyboard.
    But now when I play a note on the keyboard, Koala ignores the midi map I just made and only plays one pad chromatically. I checked all the midi settings. I can't see how to get it to follow the midi map.

• @Stochastically said:
    I, too, want Koala pads to be triggered by a sequencer. I found this thread; I watched the video; I set up my midi map in Koala using the AUM keyboard.
    But now when I play a note on the keyboard, Koala ignores the midi map I just made and only plays one pad chromatically. I checked all the midi settings. I can't see how to get it to follow the midi map.

Do you have koala's onscreen keyboard active on the sequence page? If so, that gets the midi input. make sure it isn't active.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Stochastically said:
    I, too, want Koala pads to be triggered by a sequencer. I found this thread; I watched the video; I set up my midi map in Koala using the AUM keyboard.

Do you have koala's onscreen keyboard active on the sequence page? If so, that gets the midi input. make sure it isn't active.

Thanks, I checked about the keyboard but it's not active. There is either the keyboard or note grid; I don't see how to make either inactive. Still no luck.

It seems like something that should be simple enough. I don't get it.

• @Stochastically said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Stochastically said:

Thanks, I checked about the keyboard but it's not active. There is either the keyboard or note grid; I don't see how to make either inactive. Still no luck.

It seems like something that should be simple enough. I don't get it.

Is the note grid showing? If so, that’s you problem. Post a screenshot of the sequence page. And check to see if midi select pads is on.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Is the note grid showing? If so, that’s you problem. Post a screenshot of the sequence page. And check to see if midi select pads is on.

Thanks again. I figured it out I think. It only works if I begin a new blank project. Then the pads work with midi maps. But I was trying earlier to use a older project I'd already created. In that case no dice - it won't let me use midi to play the midi map.

So I won't be able to use my previous Koala projects which is kind of annoying. I'll have to re-import all the samples and edit them, etc.. vexing.

It would be nice if they could fix this problem.

• @Stochastically said:

@espiegel123 said:

Thanks again. I figured it out I think. It only works if I begin a new blank project. Then the pads work with midi maps. But I was trying earlier to use a older project I'd already created. In that case no dice - it won't let me use midi to play the midi map.

So I won't be able to use my previous Koala projects which is kind of annoying. I'll have to re-import all the samples and edit them, etc.. vexing.

It would be nice if they could fix this problem.

I haven't encountered this. I think you will need to provide them with a project and a set of steps to reproduce the problem. I wonder if there is some setting you have in those projects that prevent them from working correctly.

In any case, if you have a problem that you think needs addressing, you will need to provide the developer a way to reproduce the problem -- a demonstration can help. How old are these projects?

Are you sure that you have turned on the right settings in the project you were using?

• Anyone else experiencing midi issues? Opened some old projects and pads no longer being triggered by external sequencing. Created new project and same.

• Maybe midi channel per pad is saved via old project. Your controller is a different midi channel. Or koala is a different midi channel.

Cant remember why I chose a midi channel and not omni for koala

but you cant make different setting templates in koala. I think

Only different settings if state saved via host.

Dunno.

• edited March 2023

I cant save an init template for hold to record to be off and another for hold to record to be on.

but no apps work like this.

• @Zerozerozero said:
    Anyone else experiencing midi issues? Opened some old projects and pads no longer being triggered by external sequencing. Created new project and same.

Are you sure that you are sending the right MIDI? It was working fine a week ago.

• Yeah, ignore, user error!
    Didn’t realise the MIDI mapping button had been flicked on in standalone and has to be manually switched off in AUM project. It doesn’t remember that setting 🤦‍♂️

• Does anyone know if koala can output midi from its built in patterns?
    Would like to save my pattern and use it in Xequence
    @gregsmith asked this question also a while back
    Any help would be appreciated

• @Gdub said:
    Does anyone know if koala can output midi from its built in patterns?
    Would like to save my pattern and use it in Xequence
    @gregsmith asked this question also a while back
    Any help would be appreciated

I don’t believe koala sends midi from its sequencer

• @espiegel123
    I think you are right
    Tried with atom 2 and midi recorder quickly
    Shame but that’s life