Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

stand alone sample player

I have this idea to use and old midi controller and hook it up to a sampler, or brainbox, that only has piano sounds. and have a speaker hooked to that.
so basically it is just a piano, i can walk up to at any point in time and play. no ipad, no computer. is there anything out there that can work as a sample holder and playback brain for this?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited May 2022

Do you want to specifically load your own samples? If so then do you need multiple velocity layers?

If you don't need to specifically load your own samples then just about any app that has a standalone version (most do) and includes piano sounds will do. Which to choose depends only on how particular you are about the sound quality.

• You could maybe get an old iPad or iPhone and set it up for this. Hard for me to imagine another gizmo that would be configurable enough to do all this: handle MIDI over USB, select and play samples based on notes, generate audio output, do this polyphonically.

• There’s this thing: https://miditech.de/en/portfolio/pianobox-mini/

Doesn’t load samples though.

• cool. i’m gonna look into that thing.

• @eross said:
    cool. i’m gonna look into that thing.

You didn't respond as to whether or not you need to load your own samples, nor how particular you are about the quality of sound.

So, I'm going to assume you don't want to load your own samples, and recommend Bismarck bs-16i. This is a sound font player, and it comes with a "good enough" piano. If you want higher quality then there are plenty of better quality sound fonts that you can download for free.

If you want the best quality possible then search for some of the piano shootout threads on this forum.

It's worth checking the apps you already have. Probably most of them have standalone versions that are midi compatible. BeatHawk with the acoustic piano sound pack is outstanding. Pure Synth Platinum has some really good pianos, iM1 ain't bad, ...

• @wim I think he's looking for a stand-alone hardware module that could play samples triggered by MIDI notes, not a stand-alone iOS app. His question includes the words "no iPad, no computer".

• wimwim
    edited May 2022

@uncledave said:
    @wim I think he's looking for a stand-alone hardware module that could play samples triggered by MIDI notes, not a stand-alone iOS app. His question includes the words "no iPad, no computer".

Ahh. Thanks. Totally missed that. The question makes so much more sense now. I was really puzzled over it.

• yeah, i’m just looking for a sound module with decent piano sounds. i don’t need to
    load my own samples.basically instead of having a real piano. i just want something in my house i can just walk up to
    and play when i’m inspired, but don’t have the time to get in my studio or get on my ipad or phone.