Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS (IDAM) devices trying to connect in macOS when not plugged in -- weird?

Weird thing happened with IDAM since Big Sur came along on the M1 mac and is still happening in Monterey.

If I look in the far left column of the audio device section in the "Audio MIDI Setup" app on macOS, I can see (sometimes though not 100%) that even when an iOS device is not connected via a cable it is visible -- albeit greyed out and macOS seems to be looking for it. There appears a spinning wheel beside it as if it is seeking a connection.

If I have that device handy, I can plug it in, the device appears connected and the spinning wheel disappears immediately.

If it is not handy and I can't plug it in it will continue to spin -- even if I restart the mac.

The other issue is that sometimes it sees two versions of the same device. i.e. 2 x iPhone, or 2 x iPad.

I haven't been able to find any reports or info on this anywhere and have yet to report it to Apple. Have any other IDAM users experienced this? Any fixes?

Thanks.

Comments

• This is what I'm talking about.
    Just powered up my MacBook.
    My iPad is plugged in to the MacBook via USB but IDAM is not enabled.
    My iPhone is in another room sitting on a desk --- but somehow trying to connect???
    I just killed BT and WiFi then restarted Audio MIDI Setup and the phone has disappeared. Reactivated BT and WiFI and it's still gone.
    Positive it's gone but still not sure why it appears in the first place.
    And the double device thing, no idea...

• edited May 2022

If its wifi this Idam thing. Might be 5g. I cant get abelton link when an ipad switches to 5g option and other ipad isnt 5g option, of the internet connection. I even have to give password when manual connecting to 5g but sometimes it will connect. Without a password.

See if your internet connection has a 5g option. Then it might be the cause.

• @sigma79 said:
    If its wifi this Idam thing. Might be 5g. I cant get abelton link when an ipad switches to 5g option and other ipad isnt 5g option, of the internet connection. I even have to give password when manual connecting to 5g but sometimes it will connect. Without a password.

Interesting. IDAM is actually a wired Lightning (or USB-C) to USB connection between iPad and Mac. Nothing to do with 5G or internet.

• @sigma79 said:

I have 2.4/5.0GHz wireless at home but I never use the 5.0Ghz -- in fact I've blocked devices from auto-joining simply because the 2.4GHz is more reliable and seems to cover a wider physical area.

My iPad doesn't use cellular data and my iPhone is always on Wi-Fi at home.

• wimwim
    edited May 2022

I've seen it too.

My guess is it has nothing to do with anything the iOS device itself is doing, but with the Mac simply polling for a reconnection of a previously connected device. My guess is it's a "feature" not a "bug", and meant to make it so you don't have to enable the connection as often. I expect any overhead to do this on the Mac is negligible.

On the other hand, more than one recent previous MacOS version would periodically send my CPU skyrocketing to the point that the fan came on even while idle. It turned out to be some out of control Bluetooth polling that would kick in after the MacBook had been suspended. Flipping Bluetooth off and back on made it go away. Clearly they had screwed up some sort of polling there, and it did make a huge difference.

It would be good to understand if this is a bug or intentional.

• Mine have been doing this for a while. Some of the spinning ones are plugged into the Mac - There's no reason for it I can figure - some that are spinning, sometimes don't spin, most of my devices are also showing up twice in the list, one spinning, one isn't. Resetting CoreAudiod or whatever in Activity Monitor doesn't seem to do anything, nor does restarting the Mac. My best guess, and it's definitely a guess, is something is awry with USB Hubs and Monterey. Here in the image you can see 2 Mini4's - I only have 1 of them!

• Another Screenshot here - this is after unplugging/plugging USB Hubs:

• Are they set to sync wirelessly in iTunes (or more recently, in the Finder)?

• edited May 2022

@mistercharlie
    Are they set to sync wirelessly in iTunes (or more recently, in the Finder)?

Not in my case and I had already considered this.

The hub thing you demonstrated is even weirder than my problem.

@wim
    It would be good to understand if this is a bug or intentional.

Agreed. The bluetooth bug and device polling theory seems plausible but is hard to test as I'm using my Mac in clamshell mode which makes turning off bluetooth a problem.

I guess it's no big deal but it's mildly annoying for those who mind the details. Next, why is Universal Control so flakey? Lucky it's labelled as a beta!

But seriously, if anybody figures this out please post here!

• I just made a macOS bug report to Apple so see what happens. Feel free to do the same. It's very easy.

• Did you update to the latest version of macOS and iOS?
    It seems they fixed things concerning iDAM.

• @Alfred said:
    Did you update to the latest version of macOS and iOS?
    It seems they fixed things concerning iDAM.

Yes, I did. I’m not sure what they fixed…