Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Future of Zerodebug (studiomux, modestep, touchable)

All apps are gone from Appstore.

Pascal (Zerodebug) is missing from his forum since Nov'21.

IMHO, this is the future that we can expect for a lot of apps in this ecosystem.

Comments

• I keep saying it but this is the reason why I purchased hardware last year. I love the iPad ecosystem, although I get concerned about support from Apple and developers making enough money to keep keep it going.

• What a disaster. Studiomux is still the most efficient way of creating MIDI connections between an iPad and a Mac.

• It is possible that this is nothing more than a glitch related to renewing the developer account. Their website is still up.

This happens periodically. Maybe they are gone for good. But maybe not.

• @Pynchon said:
    What a disaster. Studiomux is still the most efficient way of creating MIDI connections between an iPad and a Mac.

For midi, why not just use Bluetooth?

• @auxmux said:

@Pynchon said:
    What a disaster. Studiomux is still the most efficient way of creating MIDI connections between an iPad and a Mac.

Because I need various ports, and Studiomux is the only way that I have found of creating an infinite number of network ports. Ideal to control all the chain of synths and effects in AUM, via Bitwig, using its modulators and saving the automation.

iOS without Studimux only creates a network port. If you use a MPE instrument, you have already filled all the channels in this port.

• @auxmux said:

@Pynchon said:

With StudioMux you can have much more than a virtual Midi cable and its 16 channels. It exposes all local Midi devices on the other side.

• edited May 2022

Ah got it, I use iConnectMidi in the case I need more midi ports/channels or access to the ones on my Mac.

• @espiegel123 said:
    It is possible that this is nothing more than a glitch related to renewing the developer account. Their website is still up.

This happens periodically. Maybe they are gone for good. But maybe not.

The last studiomux beta also is cancelled. In fact, in this version studiomux / aum loopback is broke and beta fixed it. But now, there is no beta and there is no app.

Is better to get use to it because this is the new reality. Only a few apps and developers are going to survive and iOS and all the apps have date of expiry

• Well, this is disturbing. Happily (?), I've been planning for this kind of eventuality since the original Noise Machine app died aeons ago - it was my go-to for arrhythmic bleeps/bloops, and I lost one of my fave instruments when it disappeared. My studio desktop is capped at Catalina, my main iPad is capped at iOS14, and I have Studiomux's software on both, so hopefully that will stanch this loss (for a few years, at least).

• I have Studiomux on my ipad. Out of curiosity I tried installing on my iPhone from purchased list
    Tapping on the app gives me an error "no connection on app store"
    Tapping the download button gives error "can't purchase this item | currently there is a modification, try again later"

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    I keep saying it but this is the reason why I purchased hardware last year. I love the iPad ecosystem, although I get concerned about support from Apple and developers making enough money to keep keep it going.

Exactly the reason why I invested in hardware and a setup around my MacBook Air M1. I’ve already got a lot (way too much) music related apps and am hesitant to invest further. It bothers me that a developer can pull its product back and we are not even able to download the latest working version (Lunar Lander and now Studiomux as an example). I would almost call it criminal from either side, be it the creator or Apple who facilitate or is pushing this behaviour.

• wimwim
    edited May 2022

There's no reason (yet) to jump to the conclusion that Studiomux is gone for good. As @espiegel123 has said, this happens occasionally and usually resolves after a few days or weeks if the cause is the developer inadvertently allowing their account renewal to lapse.

Sometimes a developer pulls out entirely, but that's hopefully not the case here.

• Is this perhaps due to the Apple deadline of apps not being updated being removed?

• wimwim
    edited May 2022

@Carnbot said:
    Is this perhaps due to the Apple deadline of apps not being updated being removed?

No. Studiomux has been fairly recently updated. It's all the apps from that developer, therefore almost certainly account related (either account closed deliberately, or temporarily lapsed).

• @wim said:

@Carnbot said:
    Is this perhaps due to the Apple deadline of apps not being updated being removed?

No. Studiomux has been fairly recently updated. It's all the apps from that developer, therefore almost certainly account related (either account closed deliberately, or temporarily lapsed).

Right, could be just a temporary thing or I guess it could still be a decision related to the current appstore rules being strengthened as to why they decided to remove the apps themselves. I doubt it though, but I guess we won't know until Zerodebug say something :)

• Their apps and forum disappeared at the same time… I think these were very hard apps to keep updated with the various versions of iOS, Mac, Windows and Ableton. They are around the same area is Ableton last I heard, could have even caught wind of them developing something similar. All speculation though, who knows.

• Their forum is here:
    https://community.zerodebug.com/

But they haven’t replied to any of the questions. I also hit them up on Twitter.

• @echoopera said:
    Their forum is here:
    https://community.zerodebug.com/

But they haven’t replied to any of the questions. I also hit them up on Twitter.

Since Nov’21

• That’s definitely a bummer. I never used the apps but heard a lot of good things. I hate the feeling of having to worry about apps expiring on iOS. That’s a big reason why I always have some hardware gear as well. These days I’m leaning more and more towards going all desktop with Maschine+ and just using the iPad as an auxiliary device for whatever apps haven’t left the store yet.

• @Model10000 said:
    Their apps and forum disappeared at the same time… I think these were very hard apps to keep updated with the various versions of iOS, Mac, Windows and Ableton. They are around the same area is Ableton last I heard, could have even caught wind of them developing something similar. All speculation though, who knows.

Their website and forums are still active.

• Ahh, you guys are right, forums are there, opened an old bookmark..

• I have to say before software these types of problems didn’t exist. I’m not ungrateful to software because I grew up only using it, but if you are working on a project and it gets interrupted because of an auto update that breaks a critical app that’s a bummer and costly on many fronts. At the same time gear has become more expensive recently with the chip shortages, so the pros and cons of both methods are apparent. It makes me think about software that doesn’t have this problem: Adobe, Microsoft to name a couple. Subscription is no fun at first, but perhaps it’s the happy medium to helping developers thrive and artists strive!

• wimwim
    edited May 2022

@Stuntman_mike said:
    I have to say before software these types of problems didn’t exist. I’m not ungrateful to software because I grew up only using it, but if you are working on a project and it gets interrupted because of an auto update that breaks a critical app that’s a bummer and costly on many fronts. At the same time gear has become more expensive recently with the chip shortages, so the pros and cons of both methods are apparent. It makes me think about software that doesn’t have this problem: Adobe, Microsoft to name a couple. Subscription is no fun at first, but perhaps it’s the happy medium to helping developers thrive and artists strive!

Or. Turn off auto updates and resist the temptation to jump into any update too soon. iOS devices can be considered "frozen" at some point and disconnected from updates altogether, which I'm considering real hard right about now with my Air 2.

We take care with our physical instruments and hardware that are important to us. I treat apps and iOS versions with the same mind set. There's always the chance that my disconnected Air 2 will die and that some prized apps will not be restorable to another device. But that's a risk with hardware as well.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ehehehe said:
    Ofc this is gonna happen from time to time. If one piece of software is super critical to your workflow, then freeze your device, disconnect it from the web and treat it like a piece of hardware, like a pro.

Well ... that does mean no access to the latest emojis though. :/

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @wim said:
    which I'm considering real hard right about now with my Air 2

I would. I regret updating a couple older devices a bit too far and should have just left em

• The iPad I’m writing this on, an Air 2018, will never be updated. I don’t want to risk losing Giant Isopod, and many other weirder things clinging on by their fingertips.

• edited May 2022

My very recent M1 never received iPadOS 15 and I think it will stay with 14 forever.

On the other hand, when you buy any piece of hardware, if you can’t buy it again in 10 or 15 years because it’s not made anymore this is exactly the same issue, your workflow is lost too in case of loss, damage or malfunction. You have to buy a backup to protect your creativity process. Same can go with iPad if you take things hyper seriously or is a pro musician. This and no updates. We should think iPad as pure hardware and apps as firmware with all risks associated to updates.

But it should be much better if it was like desktop/laptop. Especially Windows everybody have criticisms about, you can run same softwares during years and years. Ah no I forgot it, they killed it too with Windows 11 which is fully unreliable for now IMO!!

• edited May 2022

I don't belive that it is temporary.