Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Later That Night (Animoog Z, TAL-U-NO-LX, Continua)

This is a music track that I improvised on an iPad with Animoog Z, TAL-U-NO-LX, and Continua. I used MIDI Tape Recorder (within AUM) to capture the performance and AUM to record the audio.

After bringing the AUM recording over to my PC, I applied the Lurssen Mastering Console plug-in to the audio mix within Vegas Pro.

I used a higher bitrate this time when rendering the file out from Vegas Pro. The four minute and 50 second video was 3.2 gigabytes in size. That made the animation much smoother than in previous ones.

It's titled Later That Night.

Comments

• I’ve enjoyed all of your recent compositions (even though I might not comment on them all) and the visuals are excellent. Keep posting please.

• Thanks, @GeoTony. Much appreciated.

• Great stuff! However I’m curious, why record in both AUM and Midi Tape? Just in case you wanna change a bit of it later on?

• edited May 2022

@HotStrange, yes, it's mostly so that I can change things later on.

If I find a combination of synth presets in AUM that I like, I use MIDI Tape Recorder to capture a quick improvisation.

Then I can listen to it and perhaps tweak the relative levels among the synths. I might swap out synth presets, mute one or more of the synths during playback, and even slow down the MIDI (via exporting it) to see if I can make it sound better. Once I'm through experimenting, I’ll record the best version as audio in AUM.

In one case, I went back and used the MIDI data to create an isolated cello audio track separate from the supporting pads. I lined up the two tracks in Vegas Pro with the idea that I could bring out the cello there from the mix.

Fortunately, it takes up very little storage space to save these variations as AUM presets with a single MIDI data link, as opposed to saving those variations with different audio files.

• @DavidEnglish said:
    @HotStrange, yes, it's mostly so that I can change things later on.

If I find a combination of synth presets in AUM that I like, I use MIDI Tape Recorder to capture a quick improvisation.

Then I can listen to it and perhaps tweak the relative levels among the synths. I might swap out synth presets, mute one or more of the synths during playback, and even slow down the MIDI (via exporting it) to see if I can make it sound better. Once I'm through experimenting, I’ll record the best version as audio in AUM.

In one case, I went back and used the MIDI data to create an isolated cello audio track separate from the supporting pads. I lined up the two tracks in Vegas Pro with the idea that I could bring out the cello there from the mix.

Fortunately, it takes up very little storage space to save these variations as AUM presets with a single MIDI data link, as opposed to saving those variations with different audio files.

Thanks for the explanation. I need to dive back into MTR, I’m not sure why I haven’t done that yet. Seems like a very useful tool.

• @HotStrange said:
    I need to dive back into MTR, I’m not sure why I haven’t done that yet. Seems like a very useful tool.

I attach it to a spare channel in AUM, so I can easily switch it on, in case something interesting comes along.

• @DavidEnglish said:

@HotStrange said:
    I need to dive back into MTR, I’m not sure why I haven’t done that yet. Seems like a very useful tool.

I attach it to a spare channel in AUM, so I can easily switch it on, in case something interesting comes along.

Ah okay so you’re running all the inputs into that spare channel just in case? Good idea, thanks!