Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is AURIA Pro Abandonware?

Comments

• @espiegel123 said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@richardyot said:
    Crashes on startup could well be caused by a problematic AUV3 plugin, the app might be crashing as it loads the plugin.

An AUv3 plugin crashing shouldn't ever crash the host. This isn't like v2 AU's or VST's. The AUv3 plugin is in a separate process space. The host should be able to handle a crashing AUv3 plugin gracefully.

Sadly, it has seemed to be the case that certain AUv3 do make Auria less stable even though that shouldn’t be possible.

Could be, but then the bug that causes Auria to crash would be in Auria and the way it handles loading plugins. This is different from what happens in plugins that run in process. In that case, if the plugin crashes there is little to nothing the host can do except crash. For AUv3 on iOS, the host only needs to load the plugins correctly and then respond to notifications if one crashes.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@espiegel123 said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@richardyot said:
    Crashes on startup could well be caused by a problematic AUV3 plugin, the app might be crashing as it loads the plugin.

An AUv3 plugin crashing shouldn't ever crash the host. This isn't like v2 AU's or VST's. The AUv3 plugin is in a separate process space. The host should be able to handle a crashing AUv3 plugin gracefully.

Sadly, it has seemed to be the case that certain AUv3 do make Auria less stable even though that shouldn’t be possible.

Could be, but then the bug that causes Auria to crash would be in Auria and the way it handles loading plugins. This is different from what happens in plugins that run in process. In that case, if the plugin crashes there is little to nothing the host can do except crash. For AUv3 on iOS, the host only needs to load the plugins correctly and then respond to notifications if one crashes.

I understand. It is an unfortunate fact that a few hosts' stability is impacted by particular AU's and probably points to problems in something about how those hosts load AU's or manage memory or something.. and certain AU are more likely to trigger those issues. BM3 also seems subject to this.

• @espiegel123 the difference between BM3 and Auria Pro
    is that we can replace an auv3 and still carry on with the project.
    Sadly with Auria Pro we have to jump through
    a few hoops to get a project working again.

• @Gravitas said:
    @espiegel123 the difference between BM3 and Auria Pro
    is that we can replace an auv3 and still carry on with the project.
    Sadly with Auria Pro we have to jump through
    a few hoops to get a project working again.

I understand. My point is that both apps' stability is affected by particular AUv3s in ways that technically shouldn't happen.

• schsch
    edited May 2022

I tried immediately to create a new project, so no plugins at all, and the result is the same. You press the keyboard icon, you die.

Hopefully, @WaveMachineLabs can do a quick patch to get this fixed.

• New updated in the store that claims to address the crashing issues that some have been minimizing:

• edited May 2022

@sch said:
    I tried immediately to create a new project, so no plugins at all, and the result is the same. You press the keyboard icon, you die.

Same here. Pressed the piano keyboard button in the upper left corner and it crashed instantly.

• …and here. Hopefully, we won’t have to wait another year for man to release a fix..:)

• @mtenk said:

@sch said:

Same here. Pressed the piano keyboard button in the upper left corner and it crashed instantly.

Same.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    New updated in the store that claims to address the crashing issues that some have been minimizing:

Unfortunately, the crashes that are occurring now are after this new update.

• People getting crashes might want to consider helping the developer by posting videos?

• This is very good news. At least we’ll be believed now.

• Just to add another data point to the discussion. ;-)
    I've not had any major issues with Auria Pro for quite some time now.
    Best I can tell (so far), this latest update hasn't changed that for my setup.
    Using an iPad Pro 12.9 inch 3rd Gen. with a Motu M2 interface.
    I'm able to record a live vocal track with compression & reverb at 96k - buffer size of 32 - while listening to playback of a draft quality rhythm / background track.
    Later in my typical workflow, using higher buffer settings I'll usually get up to 12 tracks in my projects with several Auv3's running - has worked fine for a couple of year's now.
    Midi editing (and at times midi in general) will still crash the app more than I'd like, but for audio I can't remember that last time I had a major problem.
    For me AP has worked very well for the last few versions, and so far in this current version.
    It's a trusted tool that I don't think of as abandoned.
    Much like I don't think of decade's old hardware as "abandoned" because no one regularly comes knocking at my door and says "we're here with your latest free 1176 and Pultec updates".

• @sch said:

The pressing the keyboard thing is different from the general issue that we were discussing -- where for some people Auria crashes on load without touching anything (it doesn't even finish loading).

• @NeuM said:
    People getting crashes might want to consider helping the developer by posting videos?

Not much information going to be gained by a vid. Touch button, boom. I did fill out the popup that sends them feedback on the next launch. Does anyone if that info actually does make it back to the devs? It didn't provide any feedback on the send.

• Can anyone name any plugins that Auria crashes with at launch? I've never had that bug happen. I do have a little test AU with a "make me crash" button that I was wondering if I could modify a bit to test what might be happening.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@NeuM said:
    People getting crashes might want to consider helping the developer by posting videos?

Not much information going to be gained by a vid. Touch button, boom. I did fill out the popup that sends them feedback on the next launch. Does anyone if that info actually does make it back to the devs? It didn't provide any feedback on the send.

It is unclear. I have asked RIM about it in the past and the response left me with the impression that they may not always reach him.

• @NeonSilicon said:
    Can anyone name any plugins that Auria crashes with at launch? I've never had that bug happen. I do have a little test AU with a "make me crash" button that I was wondering if I could modify a bit to test what might be happening.

It is more complicated than that. It seems (and same was true of BM3 but less so since an update a couple of years ago). It is more like, certain AUv3 increase the likelihood of a crash while using the app. Something about how Auria saves its files makes projects subject to corruption which results in crashes on launch. Certain AU would cause problems when reopening projects when tracks were frozen.

The process of recovering is so annoying that it seemed i possible to get people to keep track.

For me, there was an era when SpaceCraft and AudioLayer were problematic...but then updates to those seemed to i prove things.

The strangest thing is that the presence on the device of some apps or AU could cause problems even if they weren't used which is hard to believe. But a couple of people that could not get it to launch eventually cleaned out old unused apps and the crashes stopped happening. Almost as if some scan at launch was choking.

• @espiegel123 said:
    The strangest thing is that the presence on the device of some apps or AU could cause problems even if they weren't used which is hard to believe. But a couple of people that could not get it to launch eventually cleaned out old unused apps and the crashes stopped happening. Almost as if some scan at launch was choking.

Yes a few years ago the app Tonebridge (by Ultimate Guitar) would crash Auria just by virtue of being installed on the device, even if it wasn't ever used in an Auria project. Auria would crash on startup when parsing the plugins if the app was on the device.

• edited May 2022

@NeuM said:

One would think that Rim could open an IPAD and click on the keyboard icon without the help of a video?

• @espiegel123 said:

@NeonSilicon said:
    Can anyone name any plugins that Auria crashes with at launch? I've never had that bug happen. I do have a little test AU with a "make me crash" button that I was wondering if I could modify a bit to test what might be happening.

It is more complicated than that. It seems (and same was true of BM3 but less so since an update a couple of years ago). It is more like, certain AUv3 increase the likelihood of a crash while using the app. Something about how Auria saves its files makes projects subject to corruption which results in crashes on launch. Certain AU would cause problems when reopening projects when tracks were frozen.

The process of recovering is so annoying that it seemed i possible to get people to keep track.

For me, there was an era when SpaceCraft and AudioLayer were problematic...but then updates to those seemed to i prove things.

This makes more sense to me know, or at least I think I could understand a path where this would happen.

The scan for AU's is done by a system call. So, that part shouldn't crash anything. But, there are things that you can't find out about the AU without loading it. So, maybe Auria is caching some of this info in the project files/documents and then configuring itself based on the cached info. If the cached info ends up out of sync with the AU because it's changed, then I could see a possibility that AU dependent intermittent type crashing could occur.

• I did test my purposeful crash AU in Auria. Auria doesn't crash when the AU crashes. The recovery isn't graceful. It just stops the audio and doesn't alert you to the crashed AU. But Auria itself doesn't crash.

• @NeonSilicon said:
    I did test my purposeful crash AU in Auria. Auria doesn't crash when the AU crashes. The recovery isn't graceful. It just stops the audio and doesn't alert you to the crashed AU. But Auria itself doesn't crash.

You're just not as skilled at writing crashing AU's as some of us are. I've managed to write them so that they even crash AUM.

... ok ... not intentionally. But I did.

• @wim said:

@NeonSilicon said:
    I did test my purposeful crash AU in Auria. Auria doesn't crash when the AU crashes. The recovery isn't graceful. It just stops the audio and doesn't alert you to the crashed AU. But Auria itself doesn't crash.

You're just not as skilled at writing crashing AU's as some of us are. I've managed to write them so that they even crash AUM.

That's impressive. I'm going to have to try harder now. I've got a plan. No it's not very cunning, I'm going to try to crash it in a couple of places.

I have accidentally induced memory access crashes in the audio thread and that didn't bring down AUM.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@wim said:

@NeonSilicon said:

That's impressive. I'm going to have to try harder now. I've got a plan. No it's not very cunning, I'm going to try to crash it in a couple of places.

I have accidentally induced memory access crashes in the audio thread and that didn't bring down AUM.

Finally, my skills put to good use! Let me know if you can't manage it son, and I'll see if I can dig up the source code. You youngsters think you know it all, but there's no substitute for age and experience. :p

• A while back I had problems with zMors EQ Audio damage -Grind.

Not at startup but zMors would crash my export and Grind would push my cpu over the top on very demand projects.

• edited May 2022

I hope Rim puts out a quick patch to fix this latest crash behavior
    (Which is not a result of AUv3 or IAA instruments, tested crash with only Lyra loaded)

Its a gui deal i guess, as mentioned above, touch the keyboard icon in upper left of gui,
    splat.

Does so after reinstalling, still crashes every time.
    Pre iOS 15, Air 4
    I doubt the iOS is the problem, backwards compatibility is promised for 14 at the minumum (claims to go back to iOS 6.1, iPad 4?!)

• @NeonSilicon said:

@wim said:

@NeonSilicon said:

To clarify, this issue can happen independent of whether the AU actually crashes! And AUs crashing in Auria don’t necessarily exhibit the issue.

• @espiegel123 said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@wim said:

@NeonSilicon said:

To clarify, this issue can happen independent of whether the AU actually crashes! And AUs crashing in Auria don’t necessarily exhibit the issue.

Yeah, I don't think crashing AU's is the root cause of the issue in Auria. It seems more likely that it's a configuration/state saving problem that has a particular interaction with some AU's. Of course, the whole AU system is a complex enough interaction that it could be multiple things.

My thing with trying to crash the hosts is now more of a personal challenge sorta thing. (I will note that it does serve as a learning exercise for me.)

• @wim said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@wim said:

@NeonSilicon said:

Finally, my skills put to good use! Let me know if you can't manage it son, and I'll see if I can dig up the source code. You youngsters think you know it all, but there's no substitute for age and experience. :p

Hah! Last time someone implied I was a youngster was an hour ago when their liquor license was at risk.

(I will report back on my progress.)

This discussion has been closed.