Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is AURIA Pro Abandonware?

Comments

• Keep in mind that Auria seems not to play well some AU..and if one has crash problems, it is worth spending a little time to see if changing the AUs being used makes things better.

• It's a shame if Auria Pro is abandonware at this point. I remember 10 years ago when I first betatested the original non-MIDI version of Auria prior to its 1.0 release.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    It's a shame if Auria Pro is abandonware at this point. I remember 10 years ago when I first betatested the original non-MIDI version of Auria prior to its 1.0 release.

It is maybe more in the neglected-ware category than abandoned. RIM does occasionally surface to update it. A couple of years ago there was a pretty major internal re-working to improve AUv3 support and add AU MIDI.

It seems pretty clear that RIM is not highly vested in it. It seems like it is in maintenance mode. Who knows, maybe something will cause his interest to be re-vitalized -- but I am not counting on it.

• @espiegel123 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    It's a shame if Auria Pro is abandonware at this point. I remember 10 years ago when I first betatested the original non-MIDI version of Auria prior to its 1.0 release.

It is maybe more in the neglected-ware category than abandoned. RIM does occasionally surface to update it. A couple of years ago there was a pretty major internal re-working to improve AUv3 support and add AU MIDI.

It seems pretty clear that RIM is not highly vested in it. It seems like it is in maintenance mode. Who knows, maybe something will cause his interest to be re-vitalized -- but I am not counting on it.

He is always active in his forum. If people show interest over there he will respond.

Also maybe buying some Auria plugin. Asking for more IAP.

If you care let your voice be heard https://www.auriaapp.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=6c7d3fb743cdf571ce4a9c75600f7aef

• @ecou said:

@espiegel123 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

He is always active in his forum. If people show interest over there he will respond.

Also maybe buying some Auria plugin. Asking for more IAP.

If you care let your voice be heard https://www.auriaapp.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=6c7d3fb743cdf571ce4a9c75600f7aef

I don't agree that he is active on his forum. I check it often, and he rarely responds to people there. People report bugs or ask questions and he rarely responds.

• @espiegel123 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

This is true. Not abandonware then. More like in the same category as NS2 , except NS2 is not exactly neglected-ware since Blip is very anal about making everything in his app perfect, lol.

Same. Ever since FabFilter released their plugins to AU, I've used CB3 to master my tracks. 🫢

• edited May 2022

I think we can sum up this thread as:

• Auria Pro is NOT abandoned
    • Auria Pro is stable enough to use regular
    • Auria Pro may have stabilityproblem with some AU-plugins
    • Auria Pro seems to be better on iPads with more RAM
    • Auria Pro is still useful and a very advanced DAW…
  • I still like the channel strips a lot too. The sound of the compressors in those strips being hit hard is something special. I wonder if PSP would ever release those as separate AUv3s? That along with the FF Twin2 would be nice additions to the AUv3 range of options.

• I regret purchasing a few of the IAPs like drumagog because I never use it, but Auria Pro is still my main daw for continuing and finishing multi-track audio/midi projects. No crashes for me, if anything a rare glitchy frame or visualization inconsistency. Anyway I start all my audio projects in AUM or garageband.
    Seems more pragmatic to learn and use Cubasis because it’s capable and devs are active. But I prefer the look, layout, and features of Auria Pro. I have to have tempo change/track.

It definitely needs to be “maintenanced” though. I would not trust it live.

• Auria has been my bread-and-butter DAW for the last 9 years, for me it's still reliable and stable (but I certainly don't want to minimise the problems that other people have had with it, according to numerous reports).

I use it every day and rarely have any issues, and there's nothing else on iOS that can match it for audio editing on a timeline and for routing/bussing.

@JoyceRoadStudios Drumagog can be pretty useful, especially if you want to add variety to drum parts. For example I've created a bunch of kits in NS2, and use these to create drum parts, but Slate in NS2 doesn't support round-robin samples, so I will often use Drumagog on the snare to fix this, since Drumagog has a pretty deep pool of samples with which you can create more realistic and varied drum tracks. I use it quite a lot, and I've bought a few libraries for it.

• @richardyot said:
    Auria has been my bread-and-butter DAW for the last 9 years, for me it's still reliable and stable (but I certainly don't want to minimise the problems that other people have had with it, according to numerous reports).

I use it every day and rarely have any issues, and there's nothing else on iOS that can match it for audio editing on a timeline and for routing/bussing.

@JoyceRoadStudios Drumagog can be pretty useful, especially if you want to add variety to drum parts. For example I've created a bunch of kits in NS2, and use these to create drum parts, but Slate in NS2 doesn't support round-robin samples, so I will often use Drumagog on the snare to fix this, since Drumagog has a pretty deep pool of samples with which you can create more realistic and varied drum tracks. I use it quite a lot, and I've bought a few libraries for it.

Nice trick 👍

• edited May 2022

@espiegel123 said:
    Keep in mind that Auria seems not to play well some AU..and if one has crash problems, it is worth spending a little time to see if changing the AUs being used makes things better.

@richardyot said:
    Auria has been my bread-and-butter DAW for the last 9 years, for me it's still reliable and stable (but I certainly don't want to minimise the problems that other people have had with it, according to numerous reports).

Im a fan and continue to play in AP, i have crashed some (i try to open a project and i get a pop up telling me i cant, offering an autosaved earlier project. Not sure why it happpens…a bit frustrating).

Anyway you've been on point on AP for quite a while on the forum, and ive used you as a resource often, maybe without thanks, so definitely thanks!

Im curious about Gog, ive tried using it a few times without really understanding the GUI. I can always rtfm again but i wondered if there were any video resources? Maybe from a long time back I know it’s one of our the first of the dev’s apps…for desktop

Meanwhile not to hijack the thread: i like it a lot, this AP, especially after a forum member shared a method for importing the desktop preset banks for the FabFilter apps (very sweet to have the full set for Twin 2!). And i like that i can install EXS resources, especially a huge piano instrument that i bought for desktop..

Once I figure out that Drumagog, and avoid any crashes or reversions to orebious projevts I will be happier still

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Im curious about Gog, ive tried using it a few times without really understanding the GUI. I can always rtfm again but i wondered if there were any video resources?

Here's an old SoundTestRoom video that might help:

But honestly the UI is very easy to understand, just select a sample from the list and set the sensitivity slider, there's isn't much more to it (well, you can play with some of the articulation variations too if you like, you can even automate them if you want).

• @richardyot said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    Im curious about Gog, ive tried using it a few times without really understanding the GUI. I can always rtfm again but i wondered if there were any video resources?

But honestly the UI is very easy to understand, just select a sample from the list and set the sensitivity slider, there's isn't much more to it (well, you can play with some of the articulation variations too if you like, you can even automate them if you want).

Thanks for this, i should have know there’d be a Doug video. And now to reload the ‘gog files.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@richardyot said:

@Littlewoodg said:

Thanks for this, i should have know there’d be a Doug video. And now to reload the ‘gog files.

Also for anyone who bought Drumagog, you can email Rim for some bonus files with extra drum and cymbal samples, there's 2GB of bonus content free to anyone who bought the plugin.

• edited May 2022

@richardyot said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@richardyot said:

@Littlewoodg said:

Also for anyone who bought Drumagog, you can email Rim for some bonus files with extra drum and cymbal samples, there's 2GB of bonus content free to anyone who bought the plugin.

Ive searched through old email for his contact, I exchanged emails with him years ago (invited him to dinner) but can’t find his address. Perhaps you could share in a DM?

• @Littlewoodg said:

@richardyot said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@richardyot said:

@Littlewoodg said:

Ive searched through old email for his contact, I exchanged emails with him years ago (invited him to dinner) but can’t find his address. Perhaps you could share in a DM?

It’s [email protected]

• I used auria to record a live show a few weeks ago at a theater where I do sound. They have an Allen and Heath qu32 and I hooked it up to my 2018 iPad via cck, no issues. I did transfer it to the Mac to prep the tracks and give them to the artist, but I fooled around a little bit with the tracks in auria for fun.

I use auria a lot to check out multitrack files while on the bus, etc.

I did use it as my primary mixing platform at one time, but haven’t in a while.

• For all lovers of Auria Pro, AND, all the users who thinks Auria Pro is abandonware, TODAY they released a new update!

So, we can still use this fantastic product on ours iPad several year yet…

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    For all lovers of Auria Pro, AND, all the users who thinks Auria Pro is abandonware, TODAY they released a new update!

Even after the update Auria till crash at startup.
    Dunno what to do except reinstall my iPad from scratch but don’t want to lose 2 or 3 days If someone has an alternative solution or an idea?

• Update crashes for me if I try to open onscreen keyboard. It was fine before. (Sobs.)

• @Jeezs said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    For all lovers of Auria Pro, AND, all the users who thinks Auria Pro is abandonware, TODAY they released a new update!

Dunno what to do except reinstall my iPad from scratch but don’t want to lose 2 or 3 days If someone has an alternative solution or an idea?

Do you get the chance to ‘cancel’ and start a new project? A lot of times if I load a project once Auria is open it works. Sometimes I just try reopening the same project and it literally feels like it gets farther every time, crashes, and eventually works.

The best advice I got (I too have a lot of crashes no matter what new iPad I get or reinstall, etc.) is that if you have a ton of apps, particularly IAAs, that can cause Auria to crash (even if they’re not in use).

I also have found that if I keep my Auria folder as empty as possible that it seems to help a little. Last time I installed Auria and restored my Pro purchase, I made sure not to restore any of my other purchases (since I use mainly external AUv3s), and that seemed to help a little. Long story short, you’re probably stuck with a crashy Auria instance, but if you can get to a new project, you might be able to at least make it functional.

Good luck!

• @Jeezs said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

At what point does it crash?

Does it give you a chance to not open the last project that was open?

See if you have a lot IAA and AUv3 that you don't use, particularly old ones. A few people have reported that that has made a difference for them.

If that doesn't work, I'd consider making a backup copy of your Auria folder and deleting the app. Rebooting (via a hard reset) and reinstalling the app. While a few people have problems such as you are experiencing, the majority don't.

• Crashes on startup could well be caused by a problematic AUV3 plugin, the app might be crashing as it loads the plugin.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ReflectiveHaze said:

@purpan2 said:
    Update crashes for me if I try to open onscreen keyboard. It was fine before. (Sobs.)

I have the exact same problem. Not on startup, but as soon as I press the onscreen keyboard icon.
    Ipad Air 2, latest iOS

Confirmed here too - instacrash on tapping the keyboard icon, Ipad Pro 2017 10.5"

• schsch
    edited May 2022

@richardyot said:

@ReflectiveHaze said:

@purpan2 said:
    Update crashes for me if I try to open onscreen keyboard. It was fine before. (Sobs.)

I have the exact same problem. Not on startup, but as soon as I press the onscreen keyboard icon.
    Ipad Air 2, latest iOS

Confirmed here too - instacrash on tapping the keyboard icon, Ipad Pro 2017 10.5"

And here! iPad Pro M1 12.9" OS 12.3.1

• Latest update seems to have made things so much worse, crashed like 8 or 9 times, a couple times after tapping on the keyboard icon like others, other times when loading an effects, and after restarting couldn’t load the session, I even restarted my 2020 IPad Pro and it still crashed, again….the latest update has made the app pretty much more unstable and unusable.

• @richardyot said:
    Crashes on startup could well be caused by a problematic AUV3 plugin, the app might be crashing as it loads the plugin.

An AUv3 plugin crashing shouldn't ever crash the host. This isn't like v2 AU's or VST's. The AUv3 plugin is in a separate process space. The host should be able to handle a crashing AUv3 plugin gracefully.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@richardyot said:
    Crashes on startup could well be caused by a problematic AUV3 plugin, the app might be crashing as it loads the plugin.

An AUv3 plugin crashing shouldn't ever crash the host. This isn't like v2 AU's or VST's. The AUv3 plugin is in a separate process space. The host should be able to handle a crashing AUv3 plugin gracefully.

Sadly, it has seemed to be the case that certain AUv3 do make Auria less stable even though that shouldn’t be possible.

This discussion has been closed.