Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DRAMBO 2.0 is LIVE!!!

Comments

• edited May 2022

@Samu said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

You can do this:

1. Tap the icon that looks like a bar chart to reach the correct editor.
    2. Go to the 'Comp' tab in the editor to access Step Components.
    3. Select the step in the sequencer lane that you want to add probabilities to. Any MIDI notes present will now appear in the window.
    4. Grab the header of one of the MIDI notes and drag right. Hit the '+' that has now appeared to the left of the header.
    5. Select 'Random condition' and choose a probability for that note. This will ONLY affect that note.
    6. Repeat steps 5-6 for any other MIDI notes you want to add a probability to.
    7. Et voila! Drums on the same step with different probabilities. You can also use this for chords. There are many other types of fun conditions you can add to notes in the step components tab to mix up your sequences.

This definitely works and I would not be surprised at all if at some point get per-note component editing in the piano-roll or 'explode' the regular sequencer to show each note on a step which would help with sequencing AUv3's with multiple sounds.

Personally I find that 'less is more', just use what is needed on a 'need to use' basis and I very seldom have a need for more than 10 tracks in total or it gets too 'busy'.

I would still love the 'iSequence' way finding its way into Drambo where the 'instruments' and 'tracks/channels' are separated (Ie. Classic Tracker Style) and one instrument can be used on multiple tracks. (ie. I might have 32 instruments/samples and use them on 8 tracks).

Cheers!

What I like about Drambo 2.0 is that there's so much in it now that there will be many different user workflows and approaches. I've taken to opening a saved template of 5 tracks that I can build from.
    1. Wavetable oscillator with decimator, delay and reverb modules
    2. Kick drum + saturation
    3. AUv3 (currently Model 15 by default)
    4. Er... can't remember - it's something! (EDIT: Ah, I think it's something bassy.)
    5. A Flexi sampler for drum loops or other stuff

Just this gives me an instant start for inspiration and means I don't have to configure everything from scratch each time. There are so many wavetables and AUv3s that it's very easy to go in loads of different directions! I feel you on the busyness - it's very easy to get into the habit of loading up every track with stuff and making a godawful musical mess.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    - it's very easy to get into the habit of loading up every track with stuff and making a godawful musical mess.

This is why I wish to separate Instruments & Tracks.

I could have one 'Lead' track that could use multiple differently articulated instruments (Change between Saw, Flute, Bells with various Envelope Shapes etc. by simply selecting which Instrument to use).
    A few Drum/Percussion/Sample Tracks where each step could use a different sound (ie. per step Instrument Change).
    A Bass Track again with option to use multiple sounds just like the 'Lead' track. (Ie. per step Instrument Change)
    A Pad Track which again could use multiple different instruments again per step Instrument Change.

This would already be possible if each 'step' in the sequence was connected to an 'instrument' instead of each track having its own sound.

Some may suggest using P-Locks and Layers but that would still lock that sounds to a specific track and not make them avaible on all tracks on a 'need to use' basis.

To simplify the above. You have an 'Instrument List' and each step in a sequence no matter on which track it's located on can use any 'Instrument'.

I know I'm too 'Stuck in The SunVox/Renoise Tracker-Land' where Instruments & Tracks are already separated and SunVox doesn't even have dedicated 'Tracks' everything is just connected to the output.

Cheers!

• @Samu said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    - it's very easy to get into the habit of loading up every track with stuff and making a godawful musical mess.

This is why I wish to separate Instruments & Tracks.

I could have one 'Lead' track that could use multiple differently articulated instruments (Change between Saw, Flute, Bells with various Envelope Shapes etc. by simply selecting which Instrument to use).
    A few Drum/Percussion/Sample Tracks where each step could use a different sound (ie. per step Instrument Change).
    A Bass Track again with option to use multiple sounds just like the 'Lead' track. (Ie. per step Instrument Change)
    A Pad Track which again could use multiple different instruments again per step Instrument Change.

This would already be possible if each 'step' in the sequence was connected to an 'instrument' instead of each track having its own sound.

Some may suggest using P-Locks and Layers but that would still lock that sounds to a specific track and not make them avaible on all tracks on a 'need to use' basis.

To simplify the above. You have an 'Instrument List' and each step in a sequence no matter on which track it's located on can use any 'Instrument'.

I know I'm too 'Stuck in The SunVox/Renoise Tracker-Land' where Instruments & Tracks are already separated and SunVox doesn't even have dedicated 'Tracks' everything is just connected to the output.

Cheers!

Watch this space. I know there are plans to massively increase how 'modular' Drambo is in terms of the sequencer over the coming months! It remains to be seen what form this all takes (so I don't know if your desired use cases will happen), but knowing giku, it'll exceed expectations.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

Watch this space. I know there are plans to massively increase how 'modular' Drambo is in terms of the sequencer over the coming months! It remains to be seen what form this all takes (so I don't know if your desired use cases will happen), but knowing giku, it'll exceed expectations.

+1

• edited May 2022

@rs2000 said:
    @RajahP
    One solution is to use separate tracks for the drum instruments (which can include hosting Drambo AUv3 inside Drambo) so you have quick and easier access to individual probabilities.
    Another solution is to scroll the editor bar on the top to the "COMP" section to give you full access to each note's individual probability.

Thanks.. Seems the second solution worked for me.. > @childofthecorndog said:

@RajahP said:
    So, what is the solution for ‘editing’ drums in Drambo’s editor.. Seems if a Kick and Hat note are on the same grid position and you want to add probability to just the kick drum, you cannot you must do both kick and hats.. or am I missing something here?
    Thanks

Giku’s discussed smoothing out poly/drumkit probability etc. I miss this too, hopefully he’ll have some desk space to look at it pretty soon🤞

Garage Band did a wonderful job with 'long presses ' on its Beat Sequencer. Pretty sure he will come up with a great solution.. > @BroCoast said:

@mistercharlie said:
    @RajahP I prefer to keep different drum types on different tracks, because I’m used to the OP-Z, which does it that way.

I too like drums on individual tracks. I just use the Drambo inside Drambo method.

I'm using the Drum Track to drive EG Pulse, Beathawk, and other Drum apps. I think having all elements of the drum track 'combined' makes life easier.. > @Michael_R_Grant said:

@RajahP said:
    So, what is the solution for ‘editing’ drums in Drambo’s editor.. Seems if a Kick and Hat note are on the same grid position and you want to add probability to just the kick drum, you cannot you must do both kick and hats.. or am I missing something here?
    Thanks

You can do this:

1. Tap the icon that looks like a bar chart to reach the correct editor.
    2. Go to the 'Comp' tab in the editor to access Step Components.
    3. Select the step in the sequencer lane that you want to add probabilities to. Any MIDI notes present will now appear in the window.
    4. Grab the header of one of the MIDI notes and drag right. Hit the '+' that has now appeared to the left of the header.
    5. Select 'Random condition' and choose a probability for that note. This will ONLY affect that note.
    6. Repeat steps 5-6 for any other MIDI notes you want to add a probability to.
    7. Et voila! Drums on the same step with different probabilities. You can also use this for chords. There are many other types of fun conditions you can add to notes in the step components tab to mix up your sequences.

Yep.. seems like the best solution for this workflow... Thanks..

• Do you all know if theres a way to shift the starting bar of a scene? When I get to jamming, I tend to record phrases that don’t start on bar one after a while.

• edited May 2022

@db909 said:
    Do you all know if theres a way to shift the starting bar of a scene? When I get to jamming, I tend to record phrases that don’t start on bar one after a while.

There is. In the row of buttons above the play button, you press that 🔁 button, or press the button to the left of that first if you're viewing the morph fader, and then in the area to the right of it, which shows you a zoomed out view of the notes, you drag to highlight the bars you want in the loop. Here I have bar 2 of 4 selected.

The only thing is, when you're done editing, you have to drag there again to select all of the bars, anywhere you've done that. Because every clip has its own set of loop markers.

Unless you only want to keep the highlighted section. In which case, you can just leave it like that, or you can select every step in the clip, and shift the notes over to the left, and then press the icon to the right of the "loop region highlighting area", and press "-1 bar" until it's how you want it. (Or if your jams respect the starting step of a bar instead of wrapping around like that, you can select the steps and use copy and paste.)

• My newly-loaded songs get stuck on the first scene, as if I have loop selected, until I manually select the next scene. After that it's fine. Not a big deal, just interesting. Anyone else have this? I've probably selected some button or other.

• @AtticusL said:
    My newly-loaded songs get stuck on the first scene, as if I have loop selected, until I manually select the next scene. After that it's fine. Not a big deal, just interesting. Anyone else have this? I've probably selected some button or other.

Yea I’ve noticed that most of the time, before I hit play, I have to tap “01” or whatever the first sequence is to arm that lane.

• Hi all, I’m wondering how I can record midi from an auv3 into drambo’s sequencer. For instance using EG pulse, I want to tap on the pads while recording and have the midi saved in the Drambo sequencer (then eg pulse can be controlled from that sequencer). I tried but failed to record. I see the same when I use an auv3 synth’s built in keyboard for instance. Thanks!

• @Oregano try this technique:

• Thanks @echoopera! It’s a bit clunky but it works :)

• edited May 2022

Well you wanted an answer on how to do it. A bit Ouroboros in nature in Drambo if you ask me 🤪 not to get too alchemical ya know though…

• Still wrapping my head around using Auv3 midi and instruments in Drambo standalone. On track1 I have Scaler into Module with FreEWI running the background. The midi won’t record in track1 but it will record on track2. Doesn’t seem to matter how I route the midi in FreEWI, 1 to1, 1 to 2, etc, I can record the Scaler midi to track2 only. What am I missing to be able to capture the midi in the piano roll of track1?

• @RJB Have you checked the MIDI settings of Track 1? (tap on the blue header labelled "1")

• Thanks @rs2000 for your help. All I’ve figured out there is to have midi input’s receive midi set to “never” to prevent midi feedback.

• @RJB said:
    Thanks @rs2000 for your help. All I’ve figured out there is to have midi input’s receive midi set to “never” to prevent midi feedback.

Ah, no wonder you can't record on track 1 😄
    To prevent MIDI loopback, disable the track's external MIDI output.

• @rs2000 said:

@RJB said:
    Thanks @rs2000 for your help. All I’ve figured out there is to have midi input’s receive midi set to “never” to prevent midi feedback.

Ah, no wonder you can't record on track 1 😄
    To prevent MIDI loopback, disable the track's external MIDI output.

Sorry, still not getting any midi on track1’s piano roll. I’ve tried every combo I can think of, what should the midi settings be on track1?

• @RJB Strange. Worked here instantly with these settings:

• ANY+ALWAYS 😉

• @echoopera @rs2000 thank-you both for your help, I really appreciate it.

So that works in the sense that I can record midi on track1 piano roll when Receives midi is set to
    Always but I also get midi feedback during or after the recording. Any work around?

• Drambo MIDI Route

• When I add sample using using drag and drop and then reopen my session Drambo lost all the imported sample.

Anyone has the same problem?

• @Jeezs said:
    When I add sample using using drag and drop and then reopen my session Drambo lost all the imported sample.

Did the sample end up in a Flexi Sampler? If so, maybe saving as a preset will help.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@Jeezs said:
    When I add sample using using drag and drop and then reopen my session Drambo lost all the imported sample.

Did the sample end up in a Flexi Sampler? If so, maybe saving as a preset will help.

I
    This is not flexi sampler but sampler that I use because I need to trig different sample. Unfortunately saving preset doesn’t help I have the same error message.
    I suspect there’s a bug here

• Thank you @zilch, @RJB for your comments.
    It helped us confirm an issue with overlapping notes in the piano roll.
    @giku_beepstreet has already prepared a fix for that.

• @rs2000 said:
    Thank you @zilch, @RJB for your comments.

Does @giku_beepstreet Know about this bug?

• @giku_beepstreet

Wow. Drambo 2.0 is an amazing update. It's really hard to find anything wrong, but you asked, so I did my best:

• When you tap a modulatable knob to select a modulation source, the knob doesn't blink. You can't see which knob you're assigning a modulator to. The knobs did blink in the previous version of Drambo.

• When using the Extended Step Editor to edit a step's components, you select a step, and then you see the components of that step -- no problem. If you want to see a different step, you can press that step's button. That all works properly as long as you don't start and stop playback while you're in the step component editor. When you start playback, the selected step's components are replaced with the "Select step" message. When you then stop playback and press a step to select it, its components are displayed only momentarily -- only as long as you press on the step. If you do a quick tap to select a step, the step is removed, not selected. The workaround is to hit the red COMP button again before selecting a different step.

• The "Shorcuts and gestures" section of the online manual says, "Hold STEP + play - start playback from selected step". This doesn't seem to work.

• In the manual, under the Sequencer section (https://www.beepstreet.com/drambo-docs/sequencer.html), the last note under the UNDO / CLEAR button says, "Swipe up to latch." It should say "Swipe down to latch." This error also appears under the same graphic on this page: https://www.beepstreet.com/drambo-docs/user-interface-overview.html. (But under "Shortcuts and gestures", it correctly says, "Swipe down on UNDO to latch".)

• This is very old issue carried over from earlier versions of Drambo. I've mentioned it before, but I'll try again. The Help info for the Math/Function module refers to inputs A and B, but the inputs are not marked as A and B. For subtraction and division it matters which is A and which is B, and the only way to find out is by experimentation. At the very least, the help text should state which input is which. Ideally the inputs would be labeled. Aha -- a quick experiment shows why the inputs aren't labeled: the module isn't even consistent with itself. When the "A>B" function is selected, A is the upper input; but with the function "A-B" selected, A is the lower input. This could still be documented in the module help, though. To avoid breaking lots of existing patches, a new, distinct Function module is needed. I'd bet it's already in the works.

You really need a tip jar. Really. Work of such exceptionally high quality deserves to be rewarded.

• @Jeezs said:

@rs2000 said:
    Thank you @zilch, @RJB for your comments.

Does @giku_beepstreet Know about this bug?

The bug only occur with the sampler module, there’s no problem with flexi sampler

• edited May 2022

Thanks @Jeezs.
    How did you create the Sampler program?