Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's the point of a real Moog synth when the apps are so amazing?

Comments

• @oat_phipps said:

@Pynchon said:
    I'm a 100% software guy. My only hardware synthesizer is an iPad Pro M1. In the sense that is treated as an external device, integrated in my desktop workflow. And from here, it can be converted in a lot of creative synthesizers. Think of this like an OP-1 with its different synth engines, but much more advanced. Samplr, Borderlands Granular, Koala, Animoog Z, FieldScaper, Mononoke, Drambo, Tardigrain, Sunvox, Virtual ANS 3, SKIIID, WebSDR, Fractal Bits, Cube Synth Pro, Redshrike, Aphelian, KQ Unotone, Hexaglyphics, StarWaves, iVCS3... None other external hardware synth comes close to this.

Also, I will say that the current trend of boutique hardware synths by small manufacturers is overrated, because most of the time, these are nothing more than glorified cheap Chinese ARM chips, relying in the software part, not the hardware components, to create its sounds.

But also, I understand why people were looking for classic hardware synthesizers, specially the Moog ones.

And this is because for some classic 100% analog hardware units (not your cheap Behringer clone, doing the same software emulation with a cheap Chinese chip encapsulated in a shiny box), there was something in the sound that was lost in the emulations.

But this has changed in the last years. And the turning point for me, regarding Moog sound, it's Synapse Audio The Legend. Contrary to past Arturia emulations with a cheap digital sound, this thing encapsulates the real Moog sound. Because finally, the computer tech is there.

Also, if you take some iOS emulations like iVCS3 and try to compare this to the real thing, in a waves spectrum analysis, it's so damn close to an exact replica of the original. Contrary to the Arturia one.

Your novels are overlong and underwritten. They’re just one convenient coincidence after another. Although, I did really like Inherent Vice once I relaxed and got into that stoner groove. Joaquin Phoenix was the worst casting of Doc imaginable as far as the movie goes.

I thought Joaquin did great in the role! But I’m a big PT Anderson fan.

• edited May 2022

@HotStrange said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Pynchon said:
    I'm a 100% software guy. My only hardware synthesizer is an iPad Pro M1. In the sense that is treated as an external device, integrated in my desktop workflow. And from here, it can be converted in a lot of creative synthesizers. Think of this like an OP-1 with its different synth engines, but much more advanced. Samplr, Borderlands Granular, Koala, Animoog Z, FieldScaper, Mononoke, Drambo, Tardigrain, Sunvox, Virtual ANS 3, SKIIID, WebSDR, Fractal Bits, Cube Synth Pro, Redshrike, Aphelian, KQ Unotone, Hexaglyphics, StarWaves, iVCS3... None other external hardware synth comes close to this.

Also, I will say that the current trend of boutique hardware synths by small manufacturers is overrated, because most of the time, these are nothing more than glorified cheap Chinese ARM chips, relying in the software part, not the hardware components, to create its sounds.

But also, I understand why people were looking for classic hardware synthesizers, specially the Moog ones.

And this is because for some classic 100% analog hardware units (not your cheap Behringer clone, doing the same software emulation with a cheap Chinese chip encapsulated in a shiny box), there was something in the sound that was lost in the emulations.

But this has changed in the last years. And the turning point for me, regarding Moog sound, it's Synapse Audio The Legend. Contrary to past Arturia emulations with a cheap digital sound, this thing encapsulates the real Moog sound. Because finally, the computer tech is there.

Also, if you take some iOS emulations like iVCS3 and try to compare this to the real thing, in a waves spectrum analysis, it's so damn close to an exact replica of the original. Contrary to the Arturia one.

Your novels are overlong and underwritten. They’re just one convenient coincidence after another. Although, I did really like Inherent Vice once I relaxed and got into that stoner groove. Joaquin Phoenix was the worst casting of Doc imaginable as far as the movie goes.

I feel like I should be a bigger one, and There Will Be Blood is my favorite non-nostalgia movie ever (Top Gun, Jurassic Park, Keaton Batman will always be sentimental favs). I did like the take on IV though, despite Joaquin. I just expected someone a little more clumsier and inept and for it to play on that subtle physical comedy more, because that’s how the character read to me in the book. More bumbling crackpot, less intensity.

But Licorice Pizza was a real mess despite the two leads’ great performances. It didn’t really DO anything but provide that one interesting psychological scene where he’s on the phone wheelin amd dealin and she tries belittling him by acting like a child herself, then he smokes the cigarette and takes her car. I found that part compelling, but struggling to remember much else and I only watched it a month ago.

• @oat_phipps said:

@HotStrange said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Pynchon said:

I feel like I should be a bigger one, and There Will Be Blood is my favorite non-nostalgia movie ever (Top Gun, Jurassic Park, Keaton Batman will always be sentimental favs). I did like the take on IV though, despite Joaquin. I just expected someone a little more clumsier and inept and for it to play on that subtle physical comedy more, because that’s how the character read to me in the book. More bumbling crackpot, less intensity.

But Licorice Pizza was a real mess despite the two leads’ great performances. It didn’t really DO anything but provide that one interesting psychological scene where he’s on the phone wheelin amd dealin and she tries belittling him by acting like a child herself, then he smokes the cigarette and takes her car. I found that part compelling, but struggling to remember much else and I only watched it a month ago.

I actually haven’t seen Licorice Pizza yet but I’m still excited to watch it. Is it streaming anywhere? It never came to the theaters around here.

TWBB is excellent but my personal favorites of his are Punch Drunk Love and The Master. Did you like Phantom Thread?

• edited May 2022

@HotStrange said:

@oat_phipps said:

@HotStrange said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Pynchon said:

I actually haven’t seen Licorice Pizza yet but I’m still excited to watch it. Is it streaming anywhere? It never came to the theaters around here.

TWBB is excellent but my personal favorites of his are Punch Drunk Love and The Master. Did you like Phantom Thread?

I LOVED Phantom Thread. DDL is so hilarious at the dinner table scene at the end. Always in perfect control of his face and speaking/delivery. Some say he’s a great actor, but I think of him as the greatest ham on earth, and I mean that in the best way possible. He’s so loud about being subtle. He knows he is playing to an audience, even if they aren’t live and he himself can’t feed off of them. And he loves every second of it; it’s like a constant wink to the audience to be in on this completely self-aware display of a mastery of skill. At times, it reminds me of Prince’s supreme confidence on stage to run the gamut from smug badass to pleading maniac to funky sex fiend.

Haven’t seen the master. I wasn’t into Punch Drunk Love at the theater when it came out so I don’t remember much. Just leaving the theater often to get another beer in those early days of drinking where its a rush to hit that peak buzz.

• @oat_phipps said:

@Pynchon said:

I approve of this literary review.
    I had a professor who was like a screaming teenybopper at a Beatles show as far as TP was concerned- “I just interviewed the second cousin of a woman he once dated at Cornell!”
    Different strokes…> @oat_phipps said:

@HotStrange said:

@oat_phipps said:

@HotStrange said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Pynchon said:

I LOVED Phantom Thread. DDL is so hilarious at the dinner table scene at the end. Always in perfect control of his face and speaking/delivery. Some say he’s a great actor, but I think of him as the greatest ham on earth, and I mean that in the best way possible. He’s so loud about being subtle. He knows he is playing to an audience, even if they aren’t live and he himself can’t feed off of them. And he loves every second of it; it’s like a constant wink to the audience to be in on this completely self-aware display of a mastery of skill. At times, it reminds me of Prince’s supreme confidence on stage to run the gamut from smug badass to pleading maniac to funky sex fiend.

Haven’t seen the master. I wasn’t into Punch Drunk Love at the theater when it came out so I don’t remember much. Just leaving the theater often to get another beer in those early days of drinking where its a rush to hit that peak buzz.

“Some say he’s a great actor, but I think of him as the greatest ham on earth, and I mean that in the best way possible.”

I get what you mean, and agree with you.
    Another great example of this is his performance in Gangs of New York.

• @oat_phipps said:

@HotStrange said:

@oat_phipps said:

@HotStrange said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Pynchon said:

Agree with those points fully! Now I need to rewatch it again as I haven’t seen it since it’s release.

I can’t recommend The Master enough. One of the greatest films of the last 20 years, imo. My affinity for PDL is probably partially tied to my love of Hoffman and Sandler but it’s an all time favorite for me.

• @oat_phipps said:

@HotStrange said:

@oat_phipps said:

@HotStrange said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Pynchon said:

I was spellbound by "There Will Be Blood" and liked "Punch-Drunk Love", but have been largely bored by his other movies. "Phantom Thread" gave me a pounding headache, even though I've generally liked the work of Daniel Day Lewis.

• @NeuM said:

@oat_phipps said:

@HotStrange said:

@oat_phipps said:

@HotStrange said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Pynchon said:

I was spellbound by "There Will Be Blood" and liked "Punch-Drunk Love", but have been largely bored by his other movies. "Phantom Thread" gave me a pounding headache, even though I've generally liked the work of Daniel Day Lewis.

Even Boogie Nights?

• @HotStrange said:

@NeuM said:

@oat_phipps said:

@HotStrange said:

@oat_phipps said:

@HotStrange said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Pynchon said:

Even Boogie Nights?

That one didn't really impress me either.

• @jolico said:

@MadGav said:

@jolico said:
    Software is better for the environment.

I’m not sure that’s the shoe-in you think it is, hardware synth are potentially very durable - that MS-20 over there is over 40 years old. How many iPads would I go though in that time?

The MS-20 is built like a Toyota, but the behringers that everybody here loves so much are probably built like behringers.

I have to say, the MS20 wasn’t built the best and it’s hard to replace parts on it because some don’t fit right.

Still mine is at 44 years old and all caps are still fine. It’s probably never even been recalibrated either.

• @PeteSasqwax said:

@sclurbs said:

Doesn't the ipad version of the model D pass the blind sound test against a physical model D? I remember hearing that...

It wouldn't remotely surprise me if it did but I'd definitely like to see/hear it if you find a link!

Not the video I remembered but there's one on the same subject:

• edited May 2022

In the 90s at the dawn of house music, I bought my first second hand drummachine, Yamaha RX7, sounded pretty crap and useless, bought a keyboard sampler with flippy drive, Amiga for sequencing, sold it and bought the awesome Prophet VS with messed-up presets, no manual or internet to seek advice. But the most beautiful thing. I had a tr606 and tb303, what a plastic cheap things they where. I had a Korg MS10, again no manual, had no idea where to plug in what. Nordlead, Akai sampler, DAT recorder. I remember you had to figure out a lot for yourself, it was the beginning days of the internet so no forum you could go to and ask for help. It was crazy expensive to just collect a basic set of equipment to make tracks. I loved tweaking real gear, but the possibilities we have on the iPad and PCs is just something I could only have dreamed of back then. A Prophet VS was 3000 bucks back then, I can buy the damn thing now for 10 in the app store!

• I'm sure there's a lot more to answering the question. But at least part of it would be that if you loved playing hardware you might not have too ask the question.

• Feedback, distortion, transients, distortion, overdrive, distortion, ...

For a polyphonic closed up synth, I can mostly agree that the simulations are pretty much there. But for a patchable mono synth, I can do all sorts of stuff that the simulation isn't going to be ready to handle and the analog version won't have any problems with (as long as I don't overdo the voltage).

• edited May 2022

@Pynchon said:

I think this is an erroneous claim re the Behringer clones. I know that at least the Minimoog clone is all analog, having seen inside it.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    @Pynchon said:

I think this is an erroneous claim re the Behringer clones. I know that at least the Minimoog clone is all analog, having seen inside it.

Yeah, the clones are clones. They are analog and Behringer has gone to the point of recreating some of the analog IC's that have been lost. The only parts on the clones that are digital are the USB connections and the MIDI-to-CV converters.

Some of the new little mini boxes are digital, but as far as I can tell, those are clones of digital synths.

BTW, I have all sorts of analog components in my parts drawers. Most all of them are from places like China, Viet Nam, Senegal, etc. IC's, op-amps, transistors, and passives, don't really care where they are made.

• @sclurbs said:
    Not the video I remembered but there's one on the same subject:

Ah, I remember this one! Excellent work from Jakob (and shouts to Kai!). Thanks!

• Moog effects are now on Mac OS.

IOS? Yes or no? When?

• @Montreal_Music said:
    Moog effects are now on Mac OS.

IOS? Yes or no? When?

They said they can’t yet recreate the modular connectivity between the effects in the iOS audio environment (aka AUM or a DAW). I wouldn’t hold your breath for them.

• @oat_phipps said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    Moog effects are now on Mac OS.

IOS? Yes or no? When?

They said they can’t yet recreate the modular connectivity between the effects in the iOS audio environment (aka AUM or a DAW). I wouldn’t hold your breath for them.

Although it's probably a safe bet that others will attempt to duplicate them.

• It’s not just the sound but also the physical interaction.

There’s not a synth emulation available that is more fun and inspiring than the hardware. Running an emulation with a MIDI controller is just not the same thing either. I have had hardware versions of several synths that have iOS/desktop versions. I find them disappointing. (Odyssey, Mono/Poly, M1, CZ-101, ESQ-1, SH-1, MC-202 among others…)

😎👍🏼

• The annual how long is a piece of string debate, it’s whatever works for you, simple as.

• The only way I can explain it is to say if you don't know then you probably don't need the hardware.

• edited November 2022

Hybrid. Different experiences entirely, but complementary. I am a random amateur at both, but I know the AUM workflow well enough that if an outcome is my aim, I can be up and running in seconds, and probably have a track not long after. Even in bed, or at the breakfast table.

The modular is more - a physical meditation. Try this. Tweak. Try that. Try again. The loveliness of physical knobs. The Mad Professor thrill of ‘what happens if I plug this into that?’ It may or may not result in something that I take into the iPad for more messing, but the journey is its own reward.

I think I will be still exploring my modular in years to come, unto death or loss of marbles. (Not Marbles - that’s a keeper!). Can’t say that for many apps, AUM excepted.

It is exploration, problem solving, a frustrating, delightful puzzle. Very, very occasionally… music, too! :)

• @Svetlovska said:
    Hybrid. Different experiences entirely, but complementary. I am a random amateur at both, but I know the AUM workflow well enough that if an outcome is my aim, I can be up and running in seconds, and probably have a track not long after. Even in bed, or at the breakfast table.

The modular is more - a physical meditation. Try this. Tweak. Try that. Try again. The loveliness of physical knobs. The Mad Professor thrill of ‘what happens if I plug this into that?’ It may or may not result in something that I take into the iPad for more messing, but the journey is its own reward.

I think I will be still exploring my modular in years to come, unto death or loss of marbles. (Not Marbles - that’s a keeper!). Can’t say that for many apps, AUM excepted.

It is exploration, problem solving, a puzzle. Very, very occasionally… music, too! :)

It’s a great way to live, learn and love.

• edited November 2022

My eBay feed is filled with cheap Behringer machines:

Odyssey

Poly D

Deepmind 6….

I was (still am) so close to getting the above but I’ve been there already and I’m old enough to distinguish the ‘sweatshop effect’ from the real need. I’ve bought stuff before and after the honeymoon period of 2 weeks (being generous here) I’d go back to messing with my iPad.

I’m so much stronger now that I have Drambo. I can build stuff that Deepmind users can only dream of without all the menu diving. In fact more than anything else it is about identifying the bottleneck which in this case is the small screen and with others the inability to save presets.
    Another one would be portability.

So no, I’m standing strong!!! 😬

• @sevenape said:

@JeffChasteen said:
    Wooden cheeks?

Looks like the dirty old tree has some massive wood hanging down to his knees too! Baby elephants arm or what!

• @supadom said:
    My eBay feed is filled with cheap Behringer machines:

Odyssey

Poly D

Deepmind 6….

I was (still am) so close to getting the above but I’ve been there already and I’m old enough to distinguish the ‘sweatshop effect’ from the real need. I’ve bought stuff before and after the honeymoon period of 2 weeks (being generous here) I’d go back to messing with my iPad.

I’m so much stronger now that I have Drambo. I can build stuff that Deepmind users can only dream of without all the menu diving. In fact more than anything else it is about identifying the bottleneck which in this case is the small screen and with others the inability to save presets.
    Another one would be portability.

So no, I’m standing strong!!! 😬

There are many advantages to Drambo/apps.

No cables
    No sync issues
    Total recall
    Better sequencing
    Etc. etc.

It’s nice to have one analog mono though.

• I tried an MS-20 at the Sound Parcel in Easton, PA. The difference between touching an MS-20 app and feeling actual physical knobs was night and day.

• edited November 2022

@BroCoast said:
    It’s nice to have one analog mono though.

This.

Not necessary in any way but really nice!

/DMfan