Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's the point of a real Moog synth when the apps are so amazing?

Comments

• edited May 2022

My hardware purchases were a bit midlife crisis 😂 I always wanted an MPC when I was young, finally got one last year as well as a Moog and others. I could do a lot with BM3, but I really wanted a standalone device if iOS music development slowed down, God forbid.

• edited May 2022

I’ve got just a few hardware things:
    Moog Sound Studio 3 (DFAM, Mother-32 and Subharmonicon), Grandmother, Lyra-8 and TR-8s.
    It lives besides my iOS and desktop (Mac M1) setup, yes you can have both!

• You do not depend on an iOS or the quirks of developers.
    • You can play or work without a screen in sight.
    • It partially holds it value so moneywise still seems a better investment.
    • With regards to Moog you own a small piece of a historic company.
    • You’re much cooler with a Moog (at least I am, I’m not so cool by myself). Take a look at Legowelt for example…Danny is a simple guy but when he poses with his synths he is way much cooler 😎
  • edited May 2022

point is - HW sounds MUCH better :-)) . Compared face to face Model D on iOS with behringer Model D and HW was soo much better, like the difference was som big that i was shocked.. especially high resonance (where iOS Model D has nasty disgusting digital aliasingh, HW sounds beautifully smooth and organic)... alao basses were much more round and firm...

• Yep, it hard to believe that out of 63 replies only 2-3 mentioned sound as an advantage... sure there are areas where the difference is negligible or soft synth makes more sense, but there are also areas where software (iOS or desktop) doesn’t even come close.

• @tk32 said:
    "our great tk32"

@ervin , I can't work out if that's the highest compliment, or most brutal character assassination I've ever had. :D

I'm content just being a second-rate humourist amongst this hallowed and esteemed group.

Compliment, mate, compliment. 🤝

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    Yep, it hard to believe that out of 63 replies only 2-3 mentioned sound as an advantage... sure there are areas where the difference is negligible or soft synth makes more sense, but there are also areas where software (iOS or desktop) doesn’t even come close.

True, but the Moog apps do sound really REALLY good

• sound is more subjective than the usefulness of knobs

• edited May 2022

@PeteSasqwax said:

@0tolerance4silence said:
    Yep, it hard to believe that out of 63 replies only 2-3 mentioned sound as an advantage... sure there are areas where the difference is negligible or soft synth makes more sense, but there are also areas where software (iOS or desktop) doesn’t even come close.

Yes, for an iOS app...
    also switch on the poly mode and compare to a poly analog... the difference is pretty big imo

• @dendy said:
    point is - HW sounds MUCH better :-)) . Compared face to face Model D on iOS with behringer Model D and HW was soo much better, like the difference was som big that i was shocked.. especially high resonance (where iOS Model D has nasty disgusting digital aliasingh, HW sounds beautifully smooth and organic)... alao basses were much more round and firm...

I don’t think HW sounds that much better personally and I have owned an RA minimoog in the past.

I posted some pics of my room and some of my synths in this thread. Often I am using the Moog apps instead of my gear.

There are of course areas where the real thing is better (FM and filter resonance.) Overall though the apps are very good and I would pick them over many analog synths.

• edited May 2022

Removed: jaded comment.

• Software is better for the environment.

• edited May 2022

@BroCoast said:

I posted some pics of my room and some of my synths in this thread. ...

I‘ve spotted a Casio SK-1 :+1:

Sometimes size does matter, though...

• @ervin said:
    Compliment, mate, compliment. 🤝

In which case, well met fellow traveller. 🤝

May my modest wit grant me the power to deftly blend petty with the poignant, pugilism with the polemic, and puerile with the profound.

..and also the good grace to spot when I'm achieving none of the above (and delete my post drafts before they crystalise).

Wassail.

• @Telefunky said:

@BroCoast said:

I posted some pics of my room and some of my synths in this thread. ...

I‘ve spotted a Casio SK-1 :+1:

Sometimes size does matter, though...

My first keyboard ever. I have had it since I was a toddler.

My mum once thought I was a prodigy, but it was that demo song playing. 😂

Oh yes, nothing beats playing the real thing. It has just about the perfect size interface.

• @dendy said:

I love the filter on the boog, getting that resonance in a sweet spot and then running the feedback for distortion makes some sinus clearing basses. The HP filter is really fun to use on it too

• Real analog since it feels better. I know that sounds like Magic ferry dust, but I mean it. When recording with the Moog iOS apps, it doesn’t matter, except is nicer to deal with the physical knobs.

• what's the point of going outside when you can put on a VR headset?

seriously tho, after playing with virtual modulars for a few years, I decided to go for a hybrid setup (eurorack that can interface with ipad and/or mac). Both worlds are great and compliment one another.

Each has its strengths and weaknesses, but I must admit that I find working with hardware much more immediately rewarding.

At this point I think the argument about which is superior is a total joke. Just go with what you enjoy and can afford :)

I find that using hardware and software instruments together works great for what I'm after. Just as I really enjoy the combination of midi sequenced parts and manually playing parts with midi controllers etc.

• I think the only advantage is the speed at which you can get working on hardware. You turn it on and tweak as you play.

Software with a MIDI controller needs some set up and you have to remember which parameter was assigned to which controller.

Other than that I don’t really see any significant advantage of hardware.

• @el_bo said:

@JeffChasteen said:
    Wooden cheeks?

Like Pinocchio?

Yes…and Steven Seagal.
    To be fair, everything about Seagal is wooden.

• @JeffChasteen said:

@el_bo said:

@JeffChasteen said:
    Wooden cheeks?

Like Pinocchio?

Yes…and Steven Seagal.
    To be fair, everything about Seagal is wooden.

:) :)

• @jolico said:
    Software is better for the environment.

I’m not sure that’s the shoe-in you think it is, hardware synth are potentially very durable - that MS-20 over there is over 40 years old. How many iPads would I go though in that time?

• edited May 2022

Usually it's.... just general snobbery.

But a fetish for physical IRL knobbery is legit. I basically have 0 tolerance for a musical instruments not working every single time and as soon as I turn it on. You don't always get that with the iPad.

• @PeteSasqwax said:

@0tolerance4silence said:

Doesn't the ipad version of the model D pass the blind sound test against a physical model D? I remember hearing that...

• /DMfan🇸🇪

• ... a musical instruments not working every single time and as soon as I turn it on. You don't always get that with the iPad.

If you leave Model D on screen when you switch the iPad off, it‘s back as fast as the supply voltage on an analog device stabilizes when the iPad is woke up again. ;)

• Twiddling analog knobs isn‘t just a fetish...
    Not all digital controllers have software that handle the dynamics of tweaking adequately.
    (f.e. the dials of my MPC Studio are completely useless)

• a couple of things nobody has mentioned. Latency and capacity.
    I can run as many hardware synths as I like without using a single CPU cycle on the iPad, and I get sound instantly when I press a key with no buffer settings to mess about with !

• @MadGav said:

@jolico said:

I’m not sure that’s the shoe-in you think it is, hardware synth are potentially very durable - that MS-20 over there is over 40 years old. How many iPads would I go though in that time?

The MS-20 is built like a Toyota, but the behringers that everybody here loves so much are probably built like behringers.

• @jolico said:

@MadGav said:

@jolico said:

The MS-20 is built like a Toyota, but the behringers that everybody here loves so much are probably built like behringers.

Oh yeah! I was thinking more a Moog than a Behringer in terms of the new stuff. Just thinking that the oldest modules in my Eurorack must be circa 25 years old - 1st rev Doepfer.

• @sclurbs said:

Doesn't the ipad version of the model D pass the blind sound test against a physical model D? I remember hearing that...

It wouldn't remotely surprise me if it did but I'd definitely like to see/hear it if you find a link!