Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Trying out a drum app

edited March 2013 in Creations

Drums not on Audiobus, so ACP into Cubasis, then used Audiobus with Thumbjam and iFretless Bass to add the other parts.
I'd like opinions on the drums if you folks don't mind giving them.

Comments

• Just playing through my iPad speakers it sounds pretty good. A natural feel to them.

• I liked that @PaulB. All the parts sounded good and well mixed, and I liked the exotic flavor as well.

• Very cool!

• Just had a listen..love these tracks..we are following..the drums are amazing...what are they and were can I get them......NOW..

• Would you believe it's a free app? InstantDrummer: Tropical Sun.

http://t.co/fWnWp0bR

Fairly limited in scope, but with some stochastic variation. If you tailor what you're doing to fit what's available, it works quite well. There are other stylistic variations on the App Store for £0.69 and demos of each here.

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/iphone/instantdrummer/

• Really enjoyed all your stuff. Were those bass tracks with the very long names played live or using an app? I can't tell!

• They were improvised demos of a couple of the iFretless Bass presets.

• edited March 2013

This instant drummer app is great! And the same dev has a lot more apps like it, each for 99 cents.

• I've got a couple of the other more rock/pop oriented Instant Drummer apps (Combustion and Heartbreaker) and they are good value at the moment and sound good too.

• The drums sound very natural..

• Another good loop app Audio Elements the app is free and comes with a stack of free loops a set tempos, also lots of IAP's in various styles. The drum loops are top quality all you do is select the loop you want and ACP into whatever...although the tempos are set if you load em into loopy you can alter the tempo no problem..its worth a download of the free version and all the loops are free to use in your stuff..

• @PaulB Is Cubasis the best iOS DAW?

• edited March 2014

• edited March 2013

@Blue_Mangoo I'm not qualified to judge. For a start, I don't have Auria, amongst others. Of the ones I do have, I haven't really challenged their capabilities yet, I'm just messing around at the moment, learning the tools. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, I guess. The Cubasis EQ is very limited, Meteor's is better. Cubasis doesn't have mix automation, Meteor does, but it's very fiddly. Cubasis has more insert effects than Meteor without resorting to IAPs, etc. etc.

I haven't used Multitrack DAW much, I got the impression that it is a bit TOO stripped down for serious multitracking, but I may have missed features. Not sure about the hold to pop up menu thing though.

Basically, I've been playing with the instrument apps, coming up with an idea, and spending the bare minimum of time and effort required with the DAW to get the end result I'm after. I'm no expert.

• Anyone tried this?

• edited March 2013

Yes drum loops hd is really nice. There are about 1000 patterns in 8 styles with fills. Loops are performed by a real drummer. Takes up some space on ipad though.

• edited March 2013

I'm writing rock/blues stuff mainly so i think it ll be nice. Thanks :)

• You're welcome. They should work for you, and if you record them into loopy you can change the tempo.

• edited March 2013

@Blue_Mangoo "Is Cubasis the best iOS DAW?"

Depends what you are looking for really. Personally I feel like BM2 is now the best iOS Daw as I think it is the only DAW that supports MIDI, Virtual Instruments, Audiobus and works on all devices. MT Daw would be my second choice. For iPad it appears that Auria takes the cake. I don't own it because of the high price tag. Cubasis seems to have the most 'buzz' but I found it's missing the major features I'd look for in a DAW to replace the ones i have now. My #1 choice for iPad would be Meteor because it does everything I want and doesn't chew the cpu like neglected dog(i'm looking at your auria, lol), although it's major down side is a max of 12 tracks, makes electronic(industrial) music nearly impossible without exporting/importing tracks.

• I'm starting to get the picture: there are a lot of choices and no clear winner. I dont expect the entire music community to have a consensus but, as with anything music tool, if there's just one person with taste similar to my own who thinks its the best then I'm sure the product isn't junk.

• I think you might be surprised how many people are aligned with your view @Blue _Mangoo. If you can show that your app offers some musical expression and ideas that are out of the ordinary, which I feel you have already, they'll adopt it. You'll never get full consensus, but you'll get the backing of those who love your app, myself included. Your app is far from junk...I love it!

• edited March 2013

@Blue_Mangoo Ok, to put things in perspective, we're discussing the top 5 iOS DAWs here, and the only ones with Audiobus. Since they're all in competition, it's likely that those with functional deficits are likely to plug those gaps, especially if the developers have a proven track record and existing solutions on other platforms. Currently, of the ones I use, Meteor has the most complete solution, but expansions tend to be IAPs. Cubasis may well catch up in future, but it's unknown if expansions will be IAPs or not. Either way, if one ends up redundant, I didn't remortgage the house to get it.

• I certainly misunderstood the point. Sorry for going off topic, but the thread relates to drum apps, so it seems several of us got on a tangent. Lol. MusicStudio is on the bus too, so doesn't that put us up to 6 DAWs? I have likes and dislikes with each, but for stability, my pref is MT. It is lightweight in comparison to the others, but it suits my needs for most uses.