Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tera Pro from VirSyn released (M1 added)

Comments

• @gusgranite said:

@VirSyn said:

@gusgranite said:

@VirSyn said:
    Another small bugfix release is now available:

AUv3 Cubasis 3 window resizing fixed
    Poly Portamento fixed
    New randomizer for stacked sounds

Just select a stacked sound and roll the dice...

Thank you @VirSyn

I’m not sure I understand the changes to the randomizer in the latest update. It appears to select a random preset now rather than randomize parameters? Also, how do you select a stacked sound? I’m not sure what that means.

A stacked sound is selected whenever you see "A+B" to the right of the preset selection field. You can always go into this mode by tapping on this field and select "Stack Layer A+B" from the menu.

In this case the randomiser simply select two random sounds - one for Layer A and one for Layer B.
    In all other cases the randomiser works as before.

Thank you. I see what you mean.

It’s when it is a stacked preset and you hit randomize, it appears to just select another preset? Sorry, I’m probably just being daft.

It selects two presets - the resulting sound is the mix of two different presets randomly selected. Since there are about 1800 presets there are 1800*1800 = 3,240,000 possible stacked sounds!

• Sorry @VirSyn, did you already mention if you’re making this app universal or not?

• @ehehehe said:
    Superb fidelity and unique timbres, just from a quick browsing of presets and poking the awesome randomizer. I feel stupid asking, but how does one add modules to an init preset?

It seems many modules only appear when they are selected as inputs to something else e.g. if you select OSC1 as a MIXER input, OSC1 will be created. It's a bit like modular in reverse - the module does not exist until it is called upon to be an input to something. I don't think they can just sit disconnected in the rack.

• @VirSyn said:

@gusgranite said:

@VirSyn said:

@gusgranite said:

@VirSyn said:

Poly Portamento fixed

Thank you @VirSyn

I’m not sure I understand the changes to the randomizer in the latest update. It appears to select a random preset now rather than randomize parameters? Also, how do you select a stacked sound? I’m not sure what that means.

A stacked sound is selected whenever you see "A+B" to the right of the preset selection field. You can always go into this mode by tapping on this field and select "Stack Layer A+B" from the menu.

In this case the randomiser simply select two random sounds - one for Layer A and one for Layer B.
    In all other cases the randomiser works as before.

Thank you. I see what you mean.

It’s when it is a stacked preset and you hit randomize, it appears to just select another preset? Sorry, I’m probably just being daft.

It selects two presets - the resulting sound is the mix of two different presets randomly selected. Since there are about 1800 presets there are 1800*1800 = 3,240,000 possible stacked sounds!

Oh, that is awesome. I think the fact that it kept the preset name confused me.

• @craftycurate said:

@ehehehe said:
    Superb fidelity and unique timbres, just from a quick browsing of presets and poking the awesome randomizer. I feel stupid asking, but how does one add modules to an init preset?

It seems many modules only appear when they are selected as inputs to something else e.g. if you select OSC1 as a MIXER input, OSC1 will be created. It's a bit like modular in reverse - the module does not exist until it is called upon to be an input to something. I don't think they can just sit disconnected in the rack.

And settings of OSC1 are preserved in case you unuse - reuse OSC1 even if it goes hidden in the meantime.

• edited May 2022

@gregsmith said:
    Sorry @VirSyn, did you already mention if you’re making this app universal or not?

He said he’d make it macOS M1 compatible once the bugs are ironed out, which is completely fair.

• edited May 2022

@VirSyn said:

Poly Portamento fixed

Hello and thanks for the update. I can confirm the auv3 resizing in cubasis behaves better now, it is still laggy but it does not seem to lockup or go blank now.

I have a question about the Arpeggiator, it seems the ARP changes behavior depending on which keyboard scale you use, it ignores notes not on the scale and rather it repeats the same notes from the scale at nearby values (like for example in mayor pentatonic +5 and +6 steps on the arp matrix will play the same note, because that scale has less than 12 semitones). This is nice because it allows you to quickly reuse the same ARP pattern but with different scales, but it is a bit annoying when using the auv3 which lacks the keyboard and, more importantly, the scale setting.

I was programming ARP patterns for my user patches on the standalone Tera Pro app and then when I tried using them on the auv3 they sounded completely different because I had not noticed the effect of the piano scale on the ARP. It would be nice and make the workflow more streamlined if you could set the scale for the Arpeggiator on the auv3 as well, so the arpeggios from the stand alone app and the auv3 always sound the same.

• @NeuM said:

@gregsmith said:
    Sorry @VirSyn, did you already mention if you’re making this app universal or not?

He said he’d make it macOS M1 compatible once the bugs are ironed out, which is completely fair.

I meant iPhone 😂

• Ok, I love the sonic possibilities of this synth.
    Especially, I tend to include the Karplus-Strong module with slow attack in all presets because it gives an organic, self-evolving characteristic to the sound almost impossible to get otherwise. So fun to play with this…
    I will publish very soon some presets of somewhat very realistic-sounding brass & strings ensembles, blending and evolving all together.
    Ha ha, sorry but very enthusiast at the moment… 😂

• @gregsmith said:

@NeuM said:

@gregsmith said:

I meant iPhone 😂

This is on my plans too, stay tuned.

• @Paulo164 said:
    Ok, I love the sonic possibilities of this synth.
    Especially, I tend to include the Karplus-Strong module with slow attack in all presets because it gives an organic, self-evolving characteristic to the sound almost impossible to get otherwise. So fun to play with this…
    I will publish very soon some presets of somewhat very realistic-sounding brass & strings ensembles, blending and evolving all together.

You really make me curious, can't wait...

• @VirSyn said:

@Paulo164 said:
    Ok, I love the sonic possibilities of this synth.

You really make me curious, can't wait...

Sure ! I am currently spending some vacations in northern Italy without my iPad (iPhone version awaited by the way ! 😉) but will publish these presets soon.
    I don’t forget also the great men’s choir for AudioLayer…

• @VirSyn said:

@gregsmith said:

@NeuM said:

@gregsmith said:

I meant iPhone 😂

This is on my plans too, stay tuned.

Excellent. Might grab it whilst it’s on intro offer

• @VirSyn is it by design that you can’t midi map the vocal filter? Seems unfortunate as it all the fun is to be had wiggling the cutoff and morph

• wimwim
    edited May 2022

@ronnieb said:
    @VirSyn is it by design that you can’t midi map the vocal filter? Seems unfortunate as it all the fun is to be had wiggling the cutoff and morph

Eh? I can map the cutoff and morph on the vocal filter without any trouble.

[edit] Maybe you mean mapping through AU parameter control? In that case, yes, I don't see an AU parameter for that. You can use the in-app midi mapping system though.

• @VirSyn - I love it that the AU and standalone share midi mappings! What I'd really like to see though is the ability to clear mappings. I can't see any way to do that right now.

• Normally I prefer to read the manual (which in this case is excellent), but I think I need a tutorial video for this one. Any recommendations?

• Learning by exploring and tweaking is really the best way to Learn Tera Pro :sunglasses:

• @Samu said:
    Learning by exploring and tweaking is really the best way to Learn Tera Pro :sunglasses:

I’ve been doing that, but I don’t understand a few of the UI conventions. Still, it hasn’t stopped me making some great noises.

• @mistercharlie said:

@Samu said:
    Learning by exploring and tweaking is really the best way to Learn Tera Pro :sunglasses:

I’ve been doing that, but I don’t understand a few of the UI conventions. Still, it hasn’t stopped me making some great noises.

I've been digging quite deep into Tera Pro and yes, it takes a while to get the 'Tera Way' but once it clicks it's quite nice.
    Personally I'm not a fan of how the multi-stage envelopes are handled but it's been like that for ages.

It takes a while to figure out how the stuff that is 'hidden' can be 'summoned' and here it helps to think 'backwards' not 'forwards'(ie. start from the output/end which can get some time to get used to).

Is there any particular area that feels especially tricky?

Cheers!

• @VirSyn I think there's a glitch on how the little LFO4's dot is rendered, it can get HUGE!

Here's the Disco version :sunglasses:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0oqt0r68nf6u1p2/LFO4Disco.mp4?dl=0

This does not happen with LFO1,2 & 3

Cheers!

• @ronnieb said:
    @VirSyn is it by design that you can’t midi map the vocal filter? Seems unfortunate as it all the fun is to be had wiggling the cutoff and morph

This is a bug, not by Design :#

• @Samu said:
    @VirSyn I think there's a glitch on how the little LFO4's dot is rendered, it can get HUGE!

Here's the Disco version :sunglasses:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0oqt0r68nf6u1p2/LFO4Disco.mp4?dl=0

This does not happen with LFO1,2 & 3

Cheers!

Disco for free! That's funny...
    Anybody here who want me to not fix this bug? B)

• This synth is amazing. I wernt going to buy ( before buying )

How do Devs actually make a good sound synth vs not?

Will check vids but its clever because. When trying to understand how it works. It also makes you understand how synthesis works more. Which I should know better since tweaking from 2019.

Is there an undo button. If you add a module which shouldnt be there. Can you undo to re-instate modules?

• @sigma79 said:
    This synth is amazing. I wernt going to buy ( before buying )

How do Devs actually make a good sound synth vs not?

Will check vids but its clever because. When trying to understand how it works. It also makes you understand how synthesis works more. Which I should know better since tweaking from 2019.

Is there an undo button. If you add a module which shouldnt be there. Can you undo to re-instate modules?

You can reassign the input it feeds to Open, or No Modulation. The modules are all "there" all the time, unlike say Drambo. The GUI just shows you what it thinks is useful at the time.

• edited May 2022

@Samu said:

Cheers!

Adding and removing modules, which I will surely find in the manual, and how those little lozenges with ADSR in them work.

What does it mean that you have an ADSR envelope set. In there, for example? Does it mean you’re using the envelope, and if I choose another parameter from that list, does the envelope persist, or disappear?

• @mistercharlie said:

@Samu said:

Cheers!

Adding and removing modules, which I will surely find in the manual, and how those little lozenges with ADSR in them work.

What does it mean that you have an ADSR envelope set. In there, for example? Does it mean you’re using the envelope, and if I choose another parameter from that list, does the envelope persist, or disappear?

Tera Pro only shows the modules that are actually in use.
    In the example the AMP gets its input from the Mixer where the other modules are connected.

If I would set the AMP's input to OSC1 the Mixer the other modules would get hidden as they are no longer in use.
    If I would set the AMP to use Spectrum the mixer would disappear and only Common, Spectrum and AMP would be shown.

I think Sounds for More has quite a few Tera Pro videos that might be worth a look?
    Start here...

Sooner or later it will 'click' and it will become clear.

Good Luck!

• @mistercharlie said:

@Samu said:

Cheers!

There is actually a fixed collection of modules, sort of like Model 15. What you add and remove is their interconnections, by tapping on the "lozenges". As @Samu already said, the GUI decides which modules you need to see.

The lozenge with ADSR on it is connected to an ADSR module; long press on the lozenge to see its details. If you connect a different parameter to that input, the ADSR disappears. But most modules have several modulation inputs. Tap on the name at the top to expand the module. Here, I've expanded Filter 2:

If I long press on the first modulation input, ADSR2, it expands right next to the input, like this:

The rest of the Filter controls are just pushed to the right. It's soft of like a folding system. Everything is right there, just folded up. Pretty clever, actually.

• @CapnWillie said:
    Looks like I may be missing out. So many synths but I love me some presets and this has a lot.

I like a solid base of presets to start off with also. You may never use all of them, but as a stepping off point they can save a lot of time.

• @CapnWillie said:
    Looks like I may be missing out. So many synths but I love me some presets and this has a lot.

And the randomiser often produces very useful sounds so you will end up making a lot more!