Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tera Pro from VirSyn released (M1 added)

Comments

• @espiegel123 said:

@Nimgwen said:

@LinearLineman said:
    @VirSyn @espiegel123 @uncledave, indeed, I have set the latency higher 10, 20 ms, makes no difference.

I can run tera pro inside cubasis 3 (using multi core and TOTAL: 26.4 latency) ipad pro 2020. It takes like 30%-50% of the DSP while playing chords with the 64 strings patch, what I find weird is that when I duplicate the track with another copy of tera pro the dsp does not seem to raise much, the first copy is the one that takes up a good chunk of the DSP percentage. Ok so I do not really know what that means, but it seems good? If you can handle the first one then you can stack more of them more easily?

I stacked 3 copies and it started peaking at 60% rather than 50%. Raising the latency reduced the peak to 55%, it seems to have a slight effect when stacking multiple instances.

CPU % probably doesn't have the significance you imagine. See : https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=cpu_load_comparisons_and_testing&s[]=cpu

Interesting I guess the intuitive approach of just pushing it until it crackles is the way to go, although from what I have seen the DSP meter on cubasis 3 is accurate as far as showing that it will crackle if it hits 100% for a sustained period (It can take brief 100% peaks without crackling though)

• edited May 2022

@VirSyn said:

Excuse me for being a total noob but what are the drawbacks from increasing the latency if it seems to help performance?

The time difference between key press on the keyboard is getting longer. This can be bad for live performing

But does it matter when reproducing the written midi on the piano roll?? I don't really play live much, I mainly write midi on the piano roll or use midi generators and midi effects. So maybe I can get away with higher latency settings?

• @Nimgwen said:

@VirSyn said:

Excuse me for being a total noob but what are the drawbacks from increasing the latency if it seems to help performance?

The time difference between key press on the keyboard is getting longer. This can be bad for live performing

But does it matter when reproducing the written midi on the piano roll?? I don't really play live much, I mainly write midi on the piano roll or use midi generators and effects. So maybe I can get away with higher latency settings.

@VirSyn said:

@Nimgwen said:

@LinearLineman said:
    @VirSyn @espiegel123 @uncledave, indeed, I have set the latency higher 10, 20 ms, makes no difference.

I can run tera pro inside cubasis 3 (using multi core and TOTAL: 26.4 latency) ipad pro 2020. It takes like 30%-50% of the DSP while playing chords with the 64 strings patch, what I find weird is that when I duplicate the track with another copy of tera pro the dsp does not seem to raise much, the first copy is the one that takes up a good chunk of the DSP percentage. Ok so I do not really know what that means, but it seems good? If you can handle the first one then you can stack more of them more easily?

I stacked 3 copies and it started peaking at 60% rather than 50%. Raising the latency reduced the peak to 55%, it seems to have a slight effect when stacking multiple instances.

That’s the benefit of multi core processing, the 3 copies are running on separate cpus

Yes it seems to be that way. Also probably the CPU throttling? because I have noticed the DSP does not sum up linearly, meaning that the total DSP percentage when using multiple auv3s does not equal the sum of DSP percentages used by the auv3s on their own. So the device seems to handle more than what I thought it could just from watching that initial spike on DSP when loading a heavy auv3 first.

• I just bought this yesterday. Haven’t dove into much but I will say, this is one of the best sounding synths ever released on iOS I think. The modular approach and mixing of different synthesis methods is fantastic.

• Do you know of an iOS synth where the portamento time (in mono mode) can be assigned to velocity ? For example, the louder you play, the shorter the portamento. I remember this was quite classic in hardware synths…
    @VirSyn , since we are still in the early release time, maybe this could be considered ? 😊👐

• @Paulo164 said:
    Do you know of an iOS synth where the portamento time (in mono mode) can be assigned to velocity ? For example, the louder you play, the shorter the portamento. I remember this was quite classic in hardware synths…
    @VirSyn , since we are still in the early release time, maybe this could be considered ? 😊👐

Interesting idea...

I'm not aware of any synth doing this, even hardware to be honest.

• edited May 2022

@Paulo164 said:
    Do you know of an iOS synth where the portamento time (in mono mode) can be assigned to velocity ? For example, the louder you play, the shorter the portamento. I remember this was quite classic in hardware synths…

Since Tera Pro AUv3 shares the Porta control, you could use a StreamByter script to generate a MIDI CC from each Note On velocity. Even

9X XX XX = BX 20 XX +C

would work, adding CC# 32 with the velocity to each Note On. A little scripting might be needed to scale the value.

Edit: You can use AUM's MIDI learn capability to map the parameter, and scale it so higher velocity gives faster portamento.

• @VirSyn : How can I access the LFO section to modify the parameters of each one? I can't find this in the synth interface.

The more I dig on this, the more impressed I am. Congratulations, this is my new favorite iOS synth, such a blast creating presets. I'm only missing an option to import my own waveforms!

And have you thought about a Mac version?

I think that a model similar to ID700 can be profitable. Put a separate desktop Mac app on the App Store, by porting the AUv3 unit and the standalone app. Put this at a price of 80 euros (50 introductory price and future sales). And create a VST3 wrapper that can be downloaded from your webpage, so it also can be loaded into Ableton or Bitwig.

I will happily pay a desktop premium price to also have this on desktop, ideally with preset sharing between iOS and desktop via iCloud.

• @Pynchon said:
    @VirSyn : How can I access the LFO section to modify the parameters of each one? I can't find this in the synth interface.

Tap/hold on the modulation source "button" at the bottom of the module to view its controls.

• @uncledave said:

@Pynchon said:
    @VirSyn : How can I access the LFO section to modify the parameters of each one? I can't find this in the synth interface.

Tap/hold on the modulation source "button" at the bottom of the module to view its controls.

Thank you!, it was so obvious that now I feel dumb :D

• @VirSyn Regarding the custom wave-shape...

A 'draw waveform' option could be a handy option in addition to the current partial level view?
    This since the 'preview' of the oscillator is already a 'waveform' it only makes sense to draw one too?!

Another would be to 'copy' the currently active waveform preset to the custom waves 'buffer' for further tweaking?

And well use all the 'oscillator waveforms' in the Spectrum Oscillator wold be a nice bonus as well!

Others would be a 'Single Sample Oscillator' (with loop, and modulation of loop parameters and velocity to start-point etc. etc.).
    But that's a long-shot and absolutely no need to add to Tera Pro...

Needless to say Tera Pro is growing on me in a good way :sunglasses:

Cheers!

• @VirSyn In some cases the 'mode' (1osc, 6osc etc.) in the Spectrum Oscillator can show 6 Osc while it is actually set to 1 Osc?!
    (I noticed this when it was set to 6 Osc and adjusting detune did nothing).

Take Care,

• @Samu said:
    @VirSyn In some cases the 'mode' (1osc, 6osc etc.) in the Spectrum Oscillator can show 6 Osc while it is actually set to 1 Osc?!
    (I noticed this when it was set to 6 Osc and adjusting detune did nothing).

Take Care,

Couldn't reproduce it here and never noticed. But I'll keep an eye/ear on it

• edited May 2022

Love this synth. Cube Synth Pro used to be my favourite but this offers most of what that offers and much more besides. I'm a bit confused about what appear to be 3 different ways of doing additive synthesis (Custom Wave, Spectrum, Shaper) but maybe that's just limited understanding on my part?

@VirSyn could the extra sources (Bowed String, Plucked String etc) present in Cube Synth Pro be made available to the harmonic editors in Tera Pro please?

• @Samu said:
    @VirSyn Regarding the custom wave-shape...

A 'draw waveform' option could be a handy option in addition to the current partial level view?
    This since the 'preview' of the oscillator is already a 'waveform' it only makes sense to draw one too?!

Another would be to 'copy' the currently active waveform preset to the custom waves 'buffer' for further tweaking?

And well use all the 'oscillator waveforms' in the Spectrum Oscillator wold be a nice bonus as well!

Others would be a 'Single Sample Oscillator' (with loop, and modulation of loop parameters and velocity to start-point etc. etc.).
    But that's a long-shot and absolutely no need to add to Tera Pro...

Needless to say Tera Pro is growing on me in a good way :sunglasses:

Cheers!

Agreed on drawing shapes for oscillators.

• @uncledave said:

@Paulo164 said:

Since Tera Pro AUv3 shares the Porta control, you could use a StreamByter script to generate a MIDI CC from each Note On velocity. Even

9X XX XX = BX 20 XX +C

would work, adding CC# 32 with the velocity to each Note On. A little scripting might be needed to scale the value.

Edit: You can use AUM's MIDI learn capability to map the parameter, and scale it so higher velocity gives faster portamento.

Very interesting… I will try.
    Thank you.

• @VirSyn said:

@Paulo164 said:

Interesting idea...

Yes, maybe I am fooled by my memory…
    So it would be even cooler to have this available for the first time ever ! Haha 😆

• @Paulo164 said:

@VirSyn said:

@Paulo164 said:

Interesting idea...

So it would be even cooler to have this available for the first time ever ! Haha 😆

Let’s call it “Paulomento:D

• @R_2 said:

@Paulo164 said:

@VirSyn said:

@Paulo164 said:

Interesting idea...

One classic effect is to assign an AD envelope to pitch for those classic 80s 'brass' sounds :sunglasses:
    So with higher velocity = more depth to the pitch-envelope etc.

Unfortunately we only have one modulation source for 'common' (would be nice with two, Envelope and LFO).
    So both an envelope and lfo of common pitch is no-can-do but thankfully we have two pitch sources for each oscillator :sunglasses:

• @Samu said:

@R_2 said:

@Paulo164 said:

@VirSyn said:

@Paulo164 said:

Interesting idea...

One classic effect is to assign an AD envelope to pitch for those classic 80s 'brass' sounds :sunglasses:
    So with higher velocity = more depth to the pitch-envelope etc.

Unfortunately we only have one modulation source for 'common' (would be nice with two, Envelope and LFO).
    So both an envelope and lfo of common pitch is no-can-do but thankfully we have two pitch sources for each oscillator :sunglasses:

Common pitch has also two modulation sources...
    ...one below "PITCH" and the other below "FINE"

• Time for next release ( 1.0.2 )

• Dice patch randomizer fixed
    • Setting for maximum polyphony added
    • Bugfix Spectrum Oscillator update from Oscillator menus

Have fun with the randomiser!

• @VirSyn said:

Common pitch has also two modulation sources...
    ...one below "PITCH" and the other below "FINE"

DOH!

I'm blind should have tapped on COMMON to see the rest of the panel, sorry...

• @VirSyn Am I doing something wrong or is the Y-Axis velocity of the Stand Alone Tera Pro's built-in keyboard not working?!

I kinda like to play the un-quantized keyboard but it doesn't respond to Y-Axis velocity which could be quite handy especially when creating presets that use velocity as a modulation source with no external controller connected.

This is only an issue in the stand-alone as the keyboard in most hosts sends velocity based on Y-Axis position of the on-screen keys.

The just released update fixed the Spectrum Oscillator thing :smile:
    Cheers!

• edited May 2022

Congratulations for the superb randomizer, @VirSyn !

Thanks to it, I have discovered that you can create generative drone textures that doesn't require keyboard input, by modulating everything with LFOs. So much fun adding extra movement to the rest of parameters with Bitwig modulators.

Now I have a crazy generative piece that can play for hours with endless variations, that seems taken from a Klaus Schulze 70s recording. And this was using ONLY A SINGLE OSCILLATOR.

I love this thing, my favorite music app of 2022.

• edited May 2022

@espiegel123 here’s a video with 2 instances of TeraPro pinning dsp and 2 screenshots. Any thoughts?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rq74ap1598hi9ni/RPReplay_Final1652239923.MP4?dl=0

• @LinearLineman said:
    @espiegel123 here’s a video with 2 instances of TeraPro pinning dsp and 2 screenshots. Any thoughts?

• If you haven't done already I would try a reboot of the iPad.
    • You should enable Multi-core processing - it actually helps a lot
    • You can adapt the sounds ( I can't see which one you used here ), especially the volume release time is important: if it is very long you're very soon at 128 voices.
    • Try the new 1.0.2 version where you can reduce the total amount of voices possible down to 96, 64 or 32
  • @Samu said:
    @VirSyn Am I doing something wrong or is the Y-Axis velocity of the Stand Alone Tera Pro's built-in keyboard not working?!

I kinda like to play the un-quantized keyboard but it doesn't respond to Y-Axis velocity which could be quite handy especially when creating presets that use velocity as a modulation source with no external controller connected.

This is only an issue in the stand-alone as the keyboard in most hosts sends velocity based on Y-Axis position of the on-screen keys.

The just released update fixed the Spectrum Oscillator thing :smile:
    Cheers!

The Y-Axis in most of our synths - and in Tera Pro - controls the Modulation wheel. If MPE ( MIDI Polyphonic Expression ) is set then it controls the MPE Timbre controller.

But I plan - as it's already done in AudioLayer - to have it optionally controlling the velocity

• @LinearLineman said:

In addition to Virsyn's recommendation, freeze tracks.

• Thanks @VirSyn reducing the voices sounds like it might work. It’s a great synth, for sure. I hope @Spidericemidas will do a bank for it.

@espiegel123 indeed, I am already doing that, but midi editing beforehand with a stuttering track is disconcerting.

• @Pynchon said:
    Congratulations for the superb randomizer, @VirSyn !

Thanks to it, I have discovered that you can create generative drone textures that doesn't require keyboard input, by modulating everything with LFOs. So much fun adding extra movement to the rest of parameters with Bitwig modulators.

Now I have a crazy generative piece that can play for hours with endless variations, that seems taken from a Klaus Schulze 70s recording. And this was using ONLY A SINGLE OSCILLATOR.

I love this thing, my favorite music app of 2022.

Thank you!

Maybe the randomiser grabbed this idea for generative patches from the "Krell V" patch in the Experiment folder:

With this kind of patches you just press a single note and then relax for hours...
    The trick here is that the Volume envelope ADSR1 retriggers itself after the envelope is released ( EOC = End of cycle )
    together with randomisation of the attack/decay times via "Key rand" which puts out another random value on each cycle.

Now think of 4 envelopes cycling randomly controlling filter frequency, pitches, resonance, ...
    As long as this universe exists this sound will never repeat itself, otherwise you'll get your money back B)