Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tera Pro from VirSyn released (M1 added)

Comments

• @VirSyn, I thought disabling multi core and setting the latency higher would help with the pinning DSP, but I am still having a problem especially with the non legacy presets. The legacy presets are better but still problematic. I love the sound of this synth and will struggle to use it but I wonder why I am having this issue where you didn’t. My pro2 is stuck at ios15. Could that be the problem?

• From CB3.4 and forward multi-core processing actually improves performance, even on my old iPad Air 2…

• @LinearLineman said:
    @VirSyn, I thought disabling multi core and setting the latency higher would help with the pinning DSP, but I am still having a problem especially with the non legacy presets. The legacy presets are better but still problematic. I love the sound of this synth and will struggle to use it but I wonder why I am having this issue where you didn’t. My pro2 is stuck at ios15. Could that be the problem?

Have you tried the Cubasis project file I posted in this thread? What was the result?

• @VirSyn : The dice function is not working for me. Contrary to the rest of your apps, this won't generate an entire new preset.

And is it possible to add an Init preset? I really miss this, or various minimalist Init presets, each one intended for a different style of music.

• edited May 2022

@VirSyn I’m just trying to see if I can play with feedback paths; is it prevented though? I’m running filter 1 back into mixer 4 along with the oscillators coming in through the 1-3 sub mix, then 4-5 into filter 1, and then in into the amp etc but I can’t tell if it’s being fed back or not…

Actually, I think it may be, simplifying the patch to one oscillator makes it easier to see the difference with the filter input activated and not 👍👍

Another quickie, is / will it be possible to import waveforms to the custom editor?

• @Pynchon said:
    @VirSyn : The dice function is not working for me. Contrary to the rest of your apps, this won't generate an entire new preset.

Sorry it's totally broken, am testing a fix here and can promise: it will be soooo great!

And is it possible to add an Init preset? I really miss this, or various minimalist Init presets, each one intended for a different style of music.

There is no special provision for this, but you can do it easily for yourself:

Create a top folder named "Init patches" and save all your templates there.

If you want to start with one, load it from there and then save it with a new name with the "Move..." option in the save dialog.

• @Krupa said:
    @VirSyn I’m just trying to see if I can play with feedback paths; is it prevented though? I’m running filter 1 back into mixer 4 along with the oscillators coming in through the 1-3 sub mix, then 4-5 into filter 1, and then in into the amp etc but I can’t tell if it’s being fed back or not…

Feedback paths are not prohibited, but usage is only for people older than 18 and at your own risk :D

Actually, I think it may be, simplifying the patch to one oscillator makes it easier to see the difference with the filter input activated and not 👍👍

Another quickie, is / will it be possible to import waveforms to the custom editor?

Is currently not possible, but maybe...

• @VirSyn said:

@Krupa said:

Feedback paths are not prohibited, but usage is only for people older than 18 and at your own risk :D

Is currently not possible, but maybe...

Cheers Harry, I’ll be careful for sure 😁

• @LinearLineman said:
    @VirSyn, I thought disabling multi core and setting the latency higher would help with the pinning DSP, but I am still having a problem especially with the non legacy presets. The legacy presets are better but still problematic. I love the sound of this synth and will struggle to use it but I wonder why I am having this issue where you didn’t. My pro2 is stuck at ios15. Could that be the problem?

It might be helpful if you posted a screen recording that demonstrates the issue and shows the settings (buffer size , sample rate, etc. ) the patches used and what other AU are present in the project.

• Thx @espiegel. Which buffer setting do you mean? Where is it in Cubasis or Tera?

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thx @espiegel. Which buffer setting do you mean? Where is it in Cubasis or Tera?

Cubasis or both. The more info you provide, demonstrate, the easier to assess what the issue is or if there is one.

• @espiegel123 where is the buffer setting in Cubasis and Tera, please?

• This was the only VirSyn I ever truly liked. Not sure if I need anything more though now that the market ain’t so dry as it was some years ago.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @espiegel123 where is the buffer setting in Cubasis and Tera, please?

Tera probably does not have. I am not sure. I don’t have Cubasis 3, but I am sure the manual would cover it. A web search might also provide the answer. Buffer size and the multi-core settings (in apps that have them) are pretty essential to adjusting performance and are worth sussing out.

• edited May 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@LinearLineman said:

Tera probably does not have. I am not sure. I don’t have Cubasis 3, but I am sure the manual would cover it. A web search might also provide the answer. Buffer size and the multi-core settings (in apps that have them) are pretty essential to adjusting performance and are worth sussing out.

Is there truth to multi-core apps performing better at lower latencies (or as low as possible)? [esp. in regards to Cubasis 3]. You’re intelligent, i figure you’ll know.

• @LinearLineman buffer settings for Cubasis are located under ‘Setup’ (upper right hand corner) and then ‘Audio’. Not sure about Tera as I don’t own it.

• @LinearLineman said:

Tera Pro used as AUv3 takes the setting the host (Cubasis) has set.
    In Cubasis 3 it's in Setup/Audio and is called "Latency" there. Latency = Buffersize/Samplerate for the math geeks...

• @LinearLineman said:

I'd just like to point out that Buffer Size and Latency are equivalent settings.

Latency (ms) = Buffer / SampleFreq (kHz)

For example, a buffer size of 64 at 44.1 kHz corresponds to latency of 1.45 ms. So you can report one or the other. Cubasis may add some processing time to the nominal latency to report a Total Latency value. Other apps connected to Cubasis use the same buffer size, so they have no setting for it.

• @VirSyn @espiegel123 @uncledave, indeed, I have set the latency higher 10, 20 ms, makes no difference.

• @VirSyn Regarding the 'Spectrum Oscillator'

Is it a 'bug' or 'by design' that I have to select the mode (Additive Generator icon below the OSC A/B view) each time I've selected a preset for the preset to become active? (For example if I select the Sawtooth preset in the top right menu it's not 'activated' until I set the 'mode').

I feel this is a bug since it's possible to draw the partials in real-time but when selecting a 'preset' the graph is changed but the sound stays like it was prior to selecting the preset?!

This only affects the OSC A and OSC B as filter presets are effective right away.

Cheers!

• edited May 2022

@LinearLineman said:
    @VirSyn @espiegel123 @uncledave, indeed, I have set the latency higher 10, 20 ms, makes no difference.

I can run tera pro inside cubasis 3 (using multi core and TOTAL: 26.4 latency) ipad pro 2020. It takes like 30%-50% of the DSP while playing chords with the 64 strings patch, what I find weird is that when I duplicate the track with another copy of tera pro the dsp does not seem to raise much, the first copy is the one that takes up a good chunk of the DSP percentage. Ok so I do not really know what that means, but it seems good? If you can handle the first one then you can stack more of them more easily?

I stacked 3 copies and it started peaking at 60% rather than 50%. Raising the latency reduced the peak to 55%, it seems to have a slight effect when stacking multiple instances.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @VirSyn @espiegel123 @uncledave, indeed, I have set the latency higher 10, 20 ms, makes no difference.

See my earlier post for things it would be useful to demonstrate in a screen capture. A screen capture demonstrating an issue is often more instructive than words. showing all the things going on (other auv3s loaded, the particular patch, etc) can often be important.

• @uncledave said:

@LinearLineman said:

I'd just like to point out that Buffer Size and Latency are equivalent settings.

Latency (ms) = Buffer / SampleFreq (kHz)

For example, a buffer size of 64 at 44.1 kHz corresponds to latency of 1.45 ms. So you can report one or the other. Cubasis may add some processing time to the nominal latency to report a Total Latency value. Other apps connected to Cubasis use the same buffer size, so they have no setting for it.

Excuse me for being a total noob but what are the drawbacks from increasing the latency if it seems to help performance?

• @espiegel123 thx, will give that a try tonight.

• @VirSyn Minor Tera-requests.

A uni-polar option for the LFO waveforms, ie. 0-1 output in addition to the existing -1 to +1 and an option to control the start-phase of the LFOs when they are KEY synced.

LFO Fade In/Out can be done for LFO1*EG2 but a generic Fade In/Out option for all LFOs could be pretty handy.

Cheers!

• @Nimgwen said:

@LinearLineman said:

I can run tera pro inside cubasis 3 (using multi core and TOTAL: 26.4 latency) ipad pro 2020. It takes like 30%-50% of the DSP while playing chords with the 64 strings patch, what I find weird is that when I duplicate the track with another copy of tera pro the dsp does not seem to raise much, the first copy is the one that takes up a good chunk of the DSP percentage. Ok so I do not really know what that means, but it seems good? If you can handle the first one then you can stack more of them more easily?

I stacked 3 copies and it started peaking at 60% rather than 50%. Raising the latency reduced the peak to 55%, it seems to have a slight effect when stacking multiple instances.

CPU % probably doesn't have the significance you imagine. See : https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=cpu_load_comparisons_and_testing&s[]=cpu

• @Nimgwen said:

@LinearLineman said:

That’s the benefit of multi core processing, the 3 copies are running on separate cpus

• @Samu said:
    @VirSyn Minor Tera-requests.

A uni-polar option for the LFO waveforms, ie. 0-1 output in addition to the existing -1 to +1 and an option to control the start-phase of the LFOs when they are KEY synced.

LFO Fade In/Out can be done for LFO1*EG2 but a generic Fade In/Out option for all LFOs could be pretty handy.

Cheers!

Just added to my list…

• Excuse me for being a total noob but what are the drawbacks from increasing the latency if it seems to help performance?

The time difference between key press on the keyboard is getting longer. This can be bad for live performing

• @Samu said:
    @VirSyn Regarding the 'Spectrum Oscillator'

Is it a 'bug' or 'by design' that I have to select the mode (Additive Generator icon below the OSC A/B view) each time I've selected a preset for the preset to become active? (For example if I select the Sawtooth preset in the top right menu it's not 'activated' until I set the 'mode').

I feel this is a bug since it's possible to draw the partials in real-time but when selecting a 'preset' the graph is changed but the sound stays like it was prior to selecting the preset?!

This only affects the OSC A and OSC B as filter presets are effective right away.

Cheers!

I’m currently away from my desk, but this smells like a bug…