Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Polyend Play Groove Box .

13»

Comments

• @Tarekith said:

@echoopera said:
    @Tarekith did you explore the Midi sequencing aspects of the Play? Did it offer the same Chance and Playback Speed and Direction functionality as the AudioTracks mode?

I have no use for the midi side of things and stated that in the video, but from what I’ve read that is not implemented yet but Polyend has said it’s coming soon.

Ahh gotcha. I didn’t watch the entirety of the video so i missed that. Thanks for the reply.

• @echoopera said:

but ya know what they say, “there’s always room for more gear…”😉

Looking around my office; no, no there's not.

• @Liquidmantis said:

@echoopera said:

Hahah...I know right..."some things gotta go!" :wink:

• @echoopera said:

@Liquidmantis said:

@echoopera said:

Hahah...I know right..."some things gotta go!" :wink:

I'm drooling over Jaspers synth racks right now. I think that's next. Out of space? Just go vertical!

• Well, had a chance to visit this little thing in person at Perfect Circuit in Burbank, Cali, and well, it came home with me:

Here's the first little loop from this trio:

• edited July 2022

Well, had a chance to visit this little thing in person at Perfect Circuit in Burbank, Cali, and well, it came home with me:

Here's the first little loop from this trio:
    https://soundcloud.com/policarpo-wood/play-loop/s-OragfFnZHMN?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

• Hope you have better luck than I did with it so far. I ended up putting mine back in the box until they release a firmware update for it. Too many weird crashes, strange sample (not) loading issues, and other functionality not working right.

So much awesome potential, but feels rushed to release.

• edited July 2022

@Tarekith said:
    Hope you have better luck than I did with it so far. I ended up putting mine back in the box until they release a firmware update for it. Too many weird crashes, strange sample (not) loading issues, and other functionality not working right.

So much awesome potential, but feels rushed to release.

Yeah i noticed a few crashes and weird workflow issues. But i am hopeful they fix it and tighten up the ship like they did the Tracker.

• I'm assuming that as well, which is the only reason I didn't send it back yet :)

• Ok.
    Day 3 with the instrument. Yes it is an instrument.
    An instrument as an idea generator.
    An instrument of sequencing joy.
    An instrument to serve as a foundation or accompaniment of my music making process.
    I thought that I would not like it because it wasn't like the other Samplers on the block, with Chopping and Stereo and all the standard stuff I have on all my other Samplers.

What I realized is that the Play isn't about satisfying my expectations...it is about taking me to new and different places I didn't even know existed. It's allowing me to discover a new way of making music so far...which is inspiring.

I am loving this workflow now...I really feel like it's all I need...for now :stuck_out_tongue:

Play = 8 Audio Tracks + 8 Midi Tracks
    SP 404MK2 = Sound Design motifs
    Drambo = To The Limit!!!
    Trio = Holy Moly

• @echoopera How are you bringing your Grooveboxes into your iPad environment what mixers / audio interfaces do you use ? Or is it all into the laptop. Or everything standalone summing into one mixer?

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @echoopera How are you bringing your Grooveboxes into your iPad environment what mixers / audio interfaces do you use ? Or is it all into the laptop. Or everything standalone summing into one mixer?

In this setup everything is going into the SP 404mk2 and out to headphones/orange speaker.

• Had some fun with the trio today during lunch...and I'm quite pleased with where I ended up on this track. I used the same setup as posted above:Play+Drambo+SP 404mk2.

Thanks as always for giving it a listen:

• @echoopera said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    @echoopera How are you bringing your Grooveboxes into your iPad environment what mixers / audio interfaces do you use ? Or is it all into the laptop. Or everything standalone summing into one mixer?

In this setup everything is going into the SP 404mk2 and out to headphones/orange speaker.

@echoopera OK that makes sense cheers.

• edited August 2022

I’ve been having a nice morning with the Play + iPad Pro + AUM: It’s feeling like a great combination. I’ve always been a sucker for Chiclet based step sequencers, and the Play is ticking off a lot of boxes for me in that department.

Anyhoo…just wanted to chime in that I am having a great time, and that I am truly eating the words of my criticism when the instrument first came out. The Play delivers on so many levels and I am thankful for that.

• Just wanted to check in and see how your experience with the Play has been after a few weeks? Running into any buggy or unexpected behaviour, or has the 1.01 update made things smooth for you?

• Anyone in the US interested in a used like-new condition Play with the official Decksaver cover? There's a lot to love about this little box, but ultimately the workflow just isn't for me so I'd rather re-home it. Send me a PM if you're interested, willing to take a decent bit off the price of a new one.

• Can the Play plug directly into the ipad and sequence through Aum, or do you need an interface in between?

• edited September 2022

Yes. It syncs MIDI with the iPad over USB-C for sequencing, but you will need an audio interface if you want to hear sounds from the Play as it doesn’t support Audio In or Audio over USB.

• Thanks @echoopera - I didn’t think about that. I guess I need an audio interface anyway then… would love another port on ipad!

• @echoopera .....I came into this thread because I was GASing so hard for the Play. You shared your Launchpad-Drambo setup with me the other day and I've been playing around with it, and thought that maybe I could configure that combo to basically be a Play, so that I'd stop wanting it so bad. Of course, searching Drambo and Play, this thread appeared....and now I'm wanting it even more :,(

That being said, now that some time has past, are you still finding the box useful and inspiring? And, while I'm here, any tips for getting my Drambo combo to satisfy me for the moment?

• edited June 2023

Hey @bezz_jeens Good to see you.

The Play is an interesting device for sure...but after using it for a bit I realize that it's a great little groove starter of a box...but I only find myself using it to supplement my process when I'm stuck or looking for something different to perform.

The lack on onboard slicing, sampling and Polyphony is a real bummer imho.

In order to simulate a Play on iPadOS, I use a combination of Drambo, Playbeat3, LoopMix and DrumComputer to get a wide palette of variety at my disposal.

Last night I also opened up Logic Pro for iPad and kind of went to town with the Pattern sequencer and a bunch of Play Samples and was really impressed with the flexibility of the sequencer in Logic.

So far there's nothing like the Play on iPadOS, but with a little bit of creativity and noodling you can create some magical tracks with everything I've listed above.

Hope this helps :)

This is also a fun way to make music in Drambo using a few modules: