Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Hijack - AUv3 Support

2»

Comments

• @NeonSilicon said:

@auxmux said:
    Yeah, I've thought about Mainstage for a while but wondering if actually GarageBand could even work this way.

I don't know about GB for this. I guess you could get it to work but you would be locked at GB's sample rate. GB doesn't get all of the sweet internal plugins that MainStage does either.

Ah, interesting, good point.

• @Aud_iOS said:

@auxmux said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@mistercharlie said:
    They work in Logic and GarageBand, but not in Ableton. And there’s no alternative to AUM on the Mac.

http://ju-x.com/hostingau.html

only 4 plugins, but how many AUv3's does one have on a mac?

I can't figure how to get multiple outputs out of this? Sort of lessens the value of using 4 AUs.

Just hook up an output block wherever you want in a chain.

Thanks for this, but I was thinking of Hosting AU, but this will be helpful for AH.

• @auxmux said:

@Aud_iOS said:

@auxmux said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@mistercharlie said:
    They work in Logic and GarageBand, but not in Ableton. And there’s no alternative to AUM on the Mac.

I can't figure how to get multiple outputs out of this? Sort of lessens the value of using 4 AUs.

Thanks for this, but I was thinking of Hosting AU, but this will be helpful for AH.

Right, Hosting AU signal flow goes top to bottom, left to right. You can always use AUNetReceive to route additional outs... or a 3rd party plug like Blue Cat's Patchwork which will host up to 64 VST 2/3 and/or Audio Units, and will get you up to 16 additional audio channels.

• Is Drambo AUv3 on m1 Mac? if so, where can I get it?

• edited April 2022

@Aud_iOS said:

@auxmux said:

@Aud_iOS said:

@auxmux said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@mistercharlie said:

Right, Hosting AU signal flow goes top to bottom, left to right. You can always use AUNetReceive to route additional outs... or a 3rd party plug like Blue Cat's Patchwork which will host up to 64 VST 2/3 and/or Audio Units, and will get you up to 16 additional audio channels.

Interesting, will have to try that.

• @Aud_iOS Which version of MacOs are you on? On Big Sur, the UIs of AUv3s are not responsive but AUv2 are working. I emailed Rogue Amoeba about it. How do you route midi into the AUs?

• @auxmux said:
    @Aud_iOS Which version of MacOs are you on? On Big Sur, the UIs of AUv3s are not responsive but AUv2 are working. I emailed Rogue Amoeba about it. How do you route midi into the AUs?

Are you using Mac specific AUv3 or only iOS M1 compatible versions?

• @NeonSilicon said:

@auxmux said:
    @Aud_iOS Which version of MacOs are you on? On Big Sur, the UIs of AUv3s are not responsive but AUv2 are working. I emailed Rogue Amoeba about it. How do you route midi into the AUs?

iOS compatible versions I think.

• @auxmux said:

This is the bug I mentioned in an earlier post. They emailed me a working version until they release the fix. Hopefully support will send you the same.

• @drez said:
    Is Drambo AUv3 on m1 Mac? if so, where can I get it?

From the Mac AppStore via your account purchase’s iOS section.

• @auxmux said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@auxmux said:

iOS compatible versions I think.

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if this might be related to some bugs I saw when testing iOS AUv3 plugins a bit ago on macOS. But, it sounds like Rogue Amoeba have it figured out already.

• edited May 2022

Got another reply. They aren't allowing instruments to be loaded in latest version, just fx. Makes sense, since AJ doesn't support midi.

I'm re-trying Mainstage for this. Might be best bet.

• @auxmux said:
    Got another reply. They aren't allowing instruments to be loaded in latest version, just fx. Makes sense, since AJ doesn't support midi.

Just curious - are you able to get any AUv3's to load? They had said the same to me, but I wasn't able to load any, like the FAC - which are FX.

• @Aud_iOS said:

@auxmux said:

Just curious - are you able to get any AUv3's to load? They had said the same to me, but I wasn't able to load any, like the FAC - which are FX.

I don't have FAC ones on MacOS. Didn't retry with AJ. But Mainstage is working really well with Blackhole audio driver. Forgot I bought MS like two years ago. I was able to get midi going between that and Ableton. Works pretty well. Need to test AUs with multi-out and with MS, I get Alchemy.

• @Aud_iOS said:

@auxmux said:

I went back and forth with them on this - but the end result, once they sent me a new version, all of mine worked, irrespective of their type. Guess we'll see if that continues to hold when they put out the update.

• @Pynchon said:
    [...]
    Clap, an open source plugin format, developed by Bitwig, U-he and the Reaper team should be the future, once it's released this year.

If you haven't seen it yet, the announcement for CLAP has gone out, https://sonicstate.com/news/2022/06/15/u-he-and-bitwig-launch-bold-new-open-audio-plug-in-format/

• @NeonSilicon said:

@Pynchon said:
    [...]
    Clap, an open source plugin format, developed by Bitwig, U-he and the Reaper team should be the future, once it's released this year.

If you haven't seen it yet, the announcement for CLAP has gone out, https://sonicstate.com/news/2022/06/15/u-he-and-bitwig-launch-bold-new-open-audio-plug-in-format/

Yeah, I saw this. Surprised of how fast this has been. In addition to all the already working plugins in beta, there is a full release, working Clap synth:

https://thewavewarden.com/odin2

I don't have the beta version of Bitwig installed, but as soon as 4.3 it's out, I will install Odin 2 to try this.

By the way, here is the complete press note in the Bitwig website:

https://bitwig.com/stories/clap-the-new-audio-plug-in-standard-201/

With is a list of developers currently studying to adapt the new format.

Arturia
    Avid
    BespokeSynth
    CableGuys
    Cockos
    Cytomic
    DMGAudio
    Epic Games (Unreal Engine)
    Expressive E
    FabFilter
    Image-Line
    iPlug2 framework
    LHI Audio
    Node Audio (Entonal Studio)
    Oddsound
    Plogue
    Presonus
    Qtractor
    Togu Audioline
    Valhalla DSP
    VCV
    Vital Audio
    Xfer Records

And according to Urs from U-He, the Juce framework will probably include an option to export to Clap, because it was demanded by one of his "biggest clients". And seeing the list, I will bet for Arturia. They have been super fast to implement new industry standards such as NKS controller support or MTS-ESP.

• Odin has been around for a while. It's basically Thor as a VST. While yet another standard is not so great from a development perspective, it has cool features which I'll want to give a go in Bitwig.

• @auxmux said:
    Odin has been around for a while. It's basically Thor as a VST. While yet another standard is not so great from a development perspective, it has cool features which I'll want to give a go in Bitwig.

If it could beat the current mess of non-standards, it would be good from a developer perspective. Very difficult to pull off though.

• edited June 2022

I think that the key of why Clap can be a success and become the industry standard in the next 10 years, resides in its MIT license, in opposition to a GNU one.

Look at Nintendo or Sony. They are big corporations. And they use FreeBSD in the operating systems of their consoles, because they can do any modification to the source code, doing zero contributions to the development if they want, including its privative code.

This is the reason of why Avid is studying the format. Contrary to VST or AU, they're not adopting the format of a rival company. And due to the MIT license, they can use this as the basis to create its own dedicated Clap format, for example, that can only work in Pro Tools, if they want. Saving a lot of resources.

Compare this to LV2 and his adoption.

And those saying that the industry doesn't needs other plugin format, they probably never used Bitwig internal synths. Seeing the crazy things in modulations that can be done, and now having these same options in third party plugins, without restrictions, it's big.

• @Pynchon said:
    I think that the key of why Clap can be a success and become the industry standard in the next 10 years, resides in its MIT license, in opposition to a GNU one.

Yes, this is a very important point to commercial developers.

Look at Nintendo or Sony. They are big corporations. And they use FreeBSD in the operating systems of their consoles, because they can do any modification to the source code, doing zero contributions to the development if they want, including its privative code.

Apple went on a mission to remove GNU stuff and replace it with BSD aligned tools as well. If you are a developer of commercial software, BSD style licenses have some definite strengths even if your intention is to have all of your code in the clear. (I say this as a strong supporter of GPL and its intentions towards keeping hardware and software open and functional.)

This is the reason of why Avid is studying the format. Contrary to VST or AU, they're not adopting the format of a rival company. And due to the MIT license, they can use this as the basis to create its own dedicated Clap format, for example, that can only work in Pro Tools, if they want. Saving a lot of resources.

Compare this to LV2 and his adoption.

And those saying that the industry doesn't needs other plugin format, they probably never used Bitwig internal synths. Seeing the crazy things in modulations that can be done, and now having these same options in third party plugins, without restrictions, it's big.

I don't use Bitwig, so I don't know this angle, but think about how much more drive might be behind AUv3 if Apple had made it an open standard and made the internal Logic plugins available as AUv3 on multiple platforms.

• @NeonSilicon said:
    I don't use Bitwig, so I don't know this angle, but think about how much more drive might be behind AUv3 if Apple had made it an open standard and made the internal Logic plugins available as AUv3 on multiple platforms.

Well, I think that AUv3 will be BIG this year, thanks to Ableton implementing the format. I think that now a lot of iOS developers will try to push Mac compatible Universal builds.

If you look at what music apps are available on iOS, they have a big focus on innovative features intended for creating experimental music, creating modular workflows.

All this public is on Ableton, or to a lesser extent, on Bitwig. Not in Logic. Which it's great for other purposes, such as mastering, live band recording, rock music, etc.

Honestly, even me, who I am in love with Bitwig, I'm thinking in not renewing my license this Christmas, switching to Ableton. And having my AUv3s available, without weird audio routings between DAWS, it's the sole reason.

Clap has a lot of potential to eradicate the VST format from Windows as the industry standard. But Audio Units will never disappear in Macs. Not while it's Logic only supported format.

And Logic is one of the main reasons of audio engineers specialized in mastering with small studios, choosing a Mac.

• edited June 2022

New update today for MTS desktop which includes CLAP support https://www.multitrackstudio.com/whatsnew.php