Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"Egg Tooth" by Alligator Surprise (ESX-1 + iOS Apps)

Here is a collaboration between my friend with his ElecTribe SX, and me with a boat load of iPad apps. Most of the synths are from Gadget, with some Z3TA+. The vocal sounding sample was from the SX and tweaked in Samplr. Drums from SampleTank, performed on a QuNeo. Recorded in Cubasis.

https://soundcloud.com/alligator-surprise/egg-tooth

Comments

• Nice. I was hoping for some actual vocals to come in, but that is just my bias for songs over instro/dance music.

• Yeah! I can agree that the iPad is a really great add-on for every ESX or EMX.

I use my iPad frequently as "polyphonic extension" because the Electribe's parts are only monophonic. After connecting the iPad's audio output to the audio input of the Tribe you do not even need a mixer. Unfortunately a lot of interesting apps still doesn't support MIDI start/stop/clock -- which is essential for this kind of usage. Another great idea is to use the iPad as an external fx processor for the Tribe (Electribe audio output 3/4 -> iPad -> Electribe audio input). In this case you have to consider that the EMXs (but not the ESXs) audio input is mono only.

• My friend's ESX was slaving really well to Cubasis's clock out. There were some quirks, like we had to be sure to reset the ESX's position back to the beginning every time before dumping things to Cubasis. But we had some cool stuff going with the outboard gear running through Effectrix on the ipad, all synced up.