Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Poll: Digistix 2 in '22

I have hesitated on picking up Digistix 2, partly because there seemed to be so many updates, and a newer, better version was always around the corner. It seems to check a lot of boxes, based on the last thread devoted to it. But that thread was so self-contradictory! "The Best Just Got Even Better!" the title proclaims, but there are many users who ask "Is the midi timing still messed up?" and so on.

The in-built sounds and round robin seem appealing, and the slice-to-pads ability is a huge bonus — but mostly I'm looking for a fast drum sequencer. At the moment I'm using Atom 2, which is not perfect for drums, but its more versatile than Ochtachron or Rozeta XOX.

What is the consensus on Digistix 2 right now?

The Digistix Appraisal Matrix
  1. Is Digistix the complete solution for drum sequencing on iOS?13 votes
    1. Yes, it is fully mature with only minor quirks. The best you'll get on an iPad.
        7.69%
    2. It is excellent, but the lack of micro-timing [or other minor dealbreaker] can be frustrating.
      23.08%
    3. You already have all the AU drum apps. This is more of the same.
      69.23%

Comments

• edited April 2022

"Best Drum Machine on iOS" is a bit tough - I think it depends on your use case. Lately I've been programming drums to emulate a live drummer, and DigiStix is the one that is the most full featured for my use case. It can do a lot, but like all apps is not necessarily instantly intuitive. You can get some incredible results with some diligence and care. All the drums on the tune linked below (that whole abum, actually) were programmed using DigiStix's built in sequencer, then the MIDI file was exported and tweaked to get the right feel.

Hella Verona by Daveypoo

There are lots of good drum machine apps on iPad - what are you using it for? Do you want to create your own drum sound or use samples? Do you want a built in sequencer or are you using an external one? Do you require round-robin or velocity layered samples? Do you want simplicity and a fast work flow? Do you want a DM that is generative? These are some questions to ask yourself to help you hone in on exactly what you want in an app.

• Wow, @Daveypoo, what a great collection! Your fills are really natural. Obviously, you're a drummer. I'm not looking necessarily for a natural sound, but the ability to adjust a pattern, drive various other drum apps (like FAC or any of the Klevgrand kits) with minimal setup would be ideal.

• (Why does the poll keep vanishing? Strange.)

• Quick drum sequencer?

I would suggest Polybeat for the ability to add chance, skip and offbeat (and manny other parameters) for more organic and varied patterns. It’s a great tool for drum programming.

Or Octachron for quick and easy pattern making. Both have the ability to make up to 8 different patterns that you can shift between.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Wow, @Daveypoo, what a great collection! Your fills are really natural.

+1. @Daveypoo , did you program all those fills manually or does digistix offer some kind of function for that?

• I love Hammerhead‘s Sequencer…

• …oh and Drumcomputer is nice too… Maybe its a question of love. ^^

• I’m in the same boat you’re in. I have basically all other iOS drum machines except this one. It seems great though, and I love all the 4pockets apps I have (probably 8 or so of them). It’s on sale now so I may go ahead and pick it up.

I usually gravitate towards Drum Computer, Playbeat, and Hammerhead.

Or Skiiid, Ruismaker noir, and the Klevgrand apps for more experimental stuff.

• edited April 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2022

@ExAsperis99 & @ervin All the drums were programmed by me, fills too - there is no special function inside Digistix 2. I just like the sequencer a lot - it makes sense to me. How I wish I could just hit the "funk" button and get it to do it for me....

DS2 is limited in some ways, but with some attention to detail and the right drum kit samples it really sounds good.

No, I'm not a drummer - just been playing long enough to know how drums are played and I can hear what I WOULD play if my hands worked the way I wanted them to.

If you're driving other apps, Atom Piano Roll is really the ultimate. DS2 gets some of the way there, but for full blown creative control over velocity, timing, etc nothing beats Atom.

• An overlooked sequencer that I like a lot is the MidiDRUMs sequencer that comes with MidiDREAMs by Art Kerns.

• @Daveypoo said:

If you're driving other apps, Atom Piano Roll is really the ultimate. DS2 gets some of the way there, but for full blown creative control over velocity, timing, etc nothing beats Atom.

This^^^ totally agree!

• Yeah, I know this to be true. Is it possible to “fold” the piano roll in Atom 2 so I see only the 16 lanes in a drum track?

And I know that probability was proposed for Atom 2, but is it available on a per-note basis?