Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus app list shows an item that isn't even installed.

Hi, new user here. I've had Audiobus 3 for quite some time but only just got round to using it.

When I look at the list of 'inputs', its showing Italizer by Kai Aras. While it looks like an interesting app, I have never used it, nor purchased it. Loading it does not work, it becomes greyed out and shows 'restart'. The actual app is not present on the device

This iOS device was pre-owned so obviously this app was installed previously. The reference to it is sticking even with a complete wipe of the device.

Current thoughts are, it could be a bug, or the device has had a jailbreak or similar done to it and theres data left behind.

Does anyone else have/had this kind of issue? I have this device on loan to test out before buying it, don't really want to buy something that has a potential 'backdoor' put by someone else. On the other hand, maybe its just a bug with that particular app. A little worrying that it survives resets though.

Thanks in advance for any insights into this, I haven't used iOS for music for quite some time and it feels like I'm starting from scratch again.

Comments

• I'd fully reset the ipad ( recovery mode and itunes ) first before using it

• @enzyme said:
    Hi, new user here. I've had Audiobus 3 for quite some time but only just got round to using it.

When I look at the list of 'inputs', its showing Italizer by Kai Aras. While it looks like an interesting app, I have never used it, nor purchased it. Loading it does not work, it becomes greyed out and shows 'restart'. The actual app is not present on the device

This iOS device was pre-owned so obviously this app was installed previously. The reference to it is sticking even with a complete wipe of the device.

Current thoughts are, it could be a bug, or the device has had a jailbreak or similar done to it and theres data left behind.

Does anyone else have/had this kind of issue? I have this device on loan to test out before buying it, don't really want to buy something that has a potential 'backdoor' put by someone else. On the other hand, maybe its just a bug with that particular app. A little worrying that it survives resets though.

Thanks in advance for any insights into this, I haven't used iOS for music for quite some time and it feels like I'm starting from scratch again.

I believe this is an OS bug. Someone else posted a while about similar phantom virtual midi ports. If I recall correctly, it was related to Siri & Search prefs for apps and that durning those off for MIDI and Audio apps was helpful.

Which OS version are you running?

• Might want to do a wipe and reinstall to get rid of possible junk left from the prior owner which might include spyware.

• @enzyme said:

By a complete wipe of the device do you mean a restore to factory settings?

• Hi @enzyme . I have experienced this, and nagged @Michael about it. It seems that those icons come from a database he maintains on-line. I saw Italizer for a while, before it turned into ID700, which actually is installed. I also see the Moog Model 15 icon for three different audio effects. There's nothing wrong with your system, just a maintenance lag chez Audiobus.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@enzyme said:

By a complete wipe of the device do you mean a restore to factory settings?

Yes, I've reset the device twice using the options in the iOS settings. Theres a whole heap of old log files as well, not sure if these also survive a reset normally. I also updated it but it was already on ios15, just not the latest update.

I haven't reset using recovery mode though, my iMac is ancient (stuck on 10.13.6) and I don't think this iPad will even connect to it. I seem to remember theres a workaround to force the driver to update in iTunes, again though its ages since I had to do any of this stuff. Sounds like a recovery reset is the way forward.

• Thanks for the input guys, I guess I'll have to reinstall via recovery mode and see what happens

• @uncledave said:
    Hi @enzyme . I have experienced this, and nagged @Michael about it. It seems that those icons come from a database he maintains on-line. I saw Italizer for a while, before it turned into ID700, which actually is installed. I also see the Moog Model 15 icon for three different audio effects. There's nothing wrong with your system, just a maintenance lag chez Audiobus.

Thanks! This is interesting, I didn't think about the problem actually being with Audiobus. I'm still concerned though, as I don't have the same issue on my phone or older iPad.

• Maybe it's enough to delete Audiobus.app to and that way 'reset' the database...
    ...personally I've not used Audiobus in a very, very long time...

I have had issues in the past with apps from some developers where the new app identifies as another app from the same developer and in those cases they simply forgot to rename a few strings in the new app. That's the downside of 'copy & paste' of source code between apps...

• Have had this issue and many others. Would guess it’s in need of updating.

• I had Italizer starting showing up mysteriously several months ago. iPhone 6s + (original owner)

• The issue is that the AUv3 system has no way to ensure apps use a unique identifier. ABs database does, but it only works if developers use it. You’ve got an app installed there which conflicts with another in the database.

• @Samu said:
    Maybe it's enough to delete Audiobus.app to and that way 'reset' the database...
    ...personally I've not used Audiobus in a very, very long time...

I have had issues in the past with apps from some developers where the new app identifies as another app from the same developer and in those cases they simply forgot to rename a few strings in the new app. That's the downside of 'copy & paste' of source code between apps...

Thanks, this did the trick, deleting and reinstalling the app worked, the Italizer isn't showing up any more. Problem solved!

• @Michael said:
    The issue is that the AUv3 system has no way to ensure apps use a unique identifier. ABs database does, but it only works if developers use it. You’ve got an app installed there which conflicts with another in the database.

Is that why ChannelEQExtension, Multiband, NA Black, and SCOPE (all AUv3 audio fx) share the Moog Model D icon in Audiobus? They have the correct names, and load fine, but the menu icon is incorrect.

I was also seeing Italizer for a while, though it was never installed. It appeared in the same alphabetical position as ID700 in AUM, and finally Audiobus replaced Italizer with ID700.

• @Michael said:
    The issue is that the AUv3 system has no way to ensure apps use a unique identifier. ABs database does, but it only works if developers use it. You’ve got an app installed there which conflicts with another in the database.

Thanks for the info! I have the same apps installed on an older iPad and don't see the same issue there, but reinstalling Audiobus corrected the issue.

• Huh! I guess that’s not it then! So much for that theory

• @enzyme said:

Welcome!