Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I’m kind of embarrassed

I just saw I have five tracks posted on the first page. Guys, I’m sorry! By way of justification…

1. I just can’t seem to fkg help it.
  2. Posting is part of my workflow. It means I completed it (to me).
  3. I rarely bump stuff… I just did, but it’s a demo of a new Module inapp.
  4. I don’t respond if the comment doesn’t require a thank you or advances some pertinent remark.
  5. I work at it every day cause I’m old and it frees my mind from concerning stuff I can’t do anything about.

Then, naturally, I post them all in a frigging album. But, honestly, I don’t really expect anybody to listen to it. Again, it feels like completion and I need that.

Tonight my exwife partner asked me for the umpteenth time (well, she does have dementia) why I make music that goes along nicely for a while and then (lol) changes into something horrible. Why this occurred to her, cause I never play my stuff for her anymore, I have no idea. But it's her way of trying to understand something she’s never gonna get… or, otoh,it might just be passive aggression. Here there are a goodly number who do. That means a lot to me.

As time goes by it seems music becomes more important in my life. Not just my own. I find myself crying much too often listening to someone else’s music. The latest was Dakha Brakha, a quartet of Ukrainians. The contradiction or counterpoint between their inspiring mix of ethnic music, percussion, jazz, a bunch of other genres, and their real life tragedy… well, sadness, joy, admiration, all mixed in with my tears.

Anyway, I’m sorry for what seems immodest. I’m not trying to get attention or praise (tho that feels good, of course). I’m just working out my karma, I guess. I’m totally grateful I have you all to annoy. And I do hope that, in my way, I can encourage others to let go, too.

It’s just happening. I’m doing it to the max and it feels good. That was always what I wanted from making music and it only really happened when I found out I could make music with an iPad. Life is pretty damn strange,

Comments

• Though mostly a lurker, had to chime in. I love seeing the small portion of art this community enables. Regular drops are a treat.

• Don’t you dare apologize!

You bring so much to this forum.

• You're thinking too much.
    Please keep making and releasing music.

• @LinearLineman i still feel you need some MPE in your life.

• Keep it up Mike, I’ll try my best and keep up listening 😁

• I think what you do is healthy. Not everyone can do it.
    Completion and the act of creating feels good and stimulates emotionally and intellectually.
    Beats the hell out of doing crossword puzzles too.

• Mainly lurker here, so my opinion may differ from the rest of the crowd (but I doubt it’s too far off).
    I not only “don’t mind” your regular posts, I welcome them.

All the apps and techniques discussed here are worth nothing if they don’t enable us to create music, that is their sole reason for existing, and you provide a steady feed of the different ways in which you are inspired and enabled by all the different tools here.

I wish to, and little by little work on, one day being able to create as much as you do, and I’ll be happy if I can get even near the level of quality and consistency you display here.

So, I guess I should in fact thank you for making us part of this experience and sharing your creations.

• Congratulations on your productivity and continued curiosity about this amazing, enabling technology.

I’m sure caretaking someone with increasing dementia requires an outlet and a connection to a sane world.

I know it works for me to have this outlet.

Be well and stay strong.

• You are an inspiration to me and I’m sure others! Please keep ‘em coming!

• Joining in on the congrats, let me also point out that the absolute best antidote to having 5 posts on the first page is to write a sixth post about those five and put it on the first page as well 😉 👍

Carry on, man

• Your comment here reminder me to hit the "Creations" category and look for music that didn't get any feedback. I search for "0 comments" in the browser using Control-F.

That's a real tragedy: when someone posts and their creation and it doesn't elicit any comments at all.

It's always surprising that much of the uncommented work is pretty good but it just slipped off the front page.

Anyone that has experienced it knows that it leaves you wondering why you bothered to share at all. I'm sure some have and just stopped trying to find their audience.

• Heavens, never apologise for your creativity! People can always read another thread. As others have said, there’s not much point in iOS music creation tools if they aren’t used to create music. I use "music" here in its broadest sense - the wider the array of styles, genres, whatever, the better.

• Mike as someone who’s 5 years from retirement and a little younger than you I’ve been watching with fascination how you’re engaging your passion with gusto. Most everyone on this board has been bitten by the music bug which means we think about and long for making music every waking minute. You my friend are living that dream and making yourself and people on this board happy in the process. Keep at it my friend.

• No apologies necessary.. I marvel at your endless (certainly seems that way) output.. You have the ability to transform your inspiration + creativity into beautiful music.. complete unto itself.. we should all be so lucky.. ever onward..

• @gothamoddisee @gusgranite @StudioES @AlmostAnonymous @Krupa @Ben @l33tzke @ben @Sawiton @McD @ervin @CapnWillie @bygjohn @ecamburn @royor ….

Thank you for all the kind words. Especially @ervin for spotting the flaw in my Jenga tower. I actually refrained from posting my next track with saxophonist Charley Krachy out of the absurdity of it all.
    e, then? And what kind of word is “sleeveanyway?(
    I’m guessing you all would feel a little strange about making a flood of posts, too. By the very act of ”, posting so much I am pushing other creators down the page and sending @McD to his “control F” to seek them out. I, too, try to listen to everything and still stuff gets by me.

Maybe the real culprit is the tool set. It really promotes a large output, I think. @Paulieworld and I have been reminiscing on another thread about vintage gear and the headaches of making a decent recording.
    That doesn’t even include the artwork and graphics of a cover and liner notes (why do they call it “liner” when the notes are always on the back of the jacket? and what kind of word is “sleeve”, anyway?)

But the main reason it keeps happening is the gift I got from Connie Crothers by her teaching me to improvise without breaking down. There is, astonishingly, no problem for me, it seems, to come up with content. I'm imagining all great composers are improvisers (Chopin Beethoven, Mozart, for sure). It’s fun to think how much more music we would have if they were all desktop/iOS producers.

If I could give any advice to folks here who struggle with music creation it would be to learn, by some technique, to improvise. It will ease the pain of struggling for material, anyone can do it, and it’s fantastic fun,

In conclusion, a shoutout to @StudioES for the advice “don't think too much”. That is totally apropos for avoiding so many things, including superfluous posts and getting to one’s creative core.

Thanks, all, for your patience and generosity of spirit. Next track in a couple of hours 😳👀😂😱😈😎🥰

• Well, my 'creative core' is full of stress and rage, so that's something.

• I personally love hopping on here and seeing a new track from you, never gets old!

• edited April 2022

I think you need all three of these and very probably in this order:

A book can teach you, a conversation can assure you, a poem can seduce you, a genius can inspire you but only you can save yourself.
    Anthony Anaxagorou

I fell in love with the idea that the mysterious thing you look for your whole life will eventually eat you alive. (explaining her attraction to Moby-Dick)
    Laurie Anderson

I wasn’t really naked. I simply didn’t have any clothes on.
    Josephine Baker

• I wish I had more time to listen to your tracks.
    Normally checking the forum at work, during small breaks.

It’s much easier for me to just quickly argue about Will Smith :smile:

• I love seeing your tracks come up on here and SoundCloud. They’re always musically fantastic and it inspires me to actually finish some my work a lot of times cos I wish I had the same drive to get music out

• Thank you @HotStrange and @Fingolfinzzz. I appreciate your sentiments.
    @JohnnyGoodyear, as alway, I need to schedule an hour’s counseling with you. Have your rates gone up? I loved Laurie’s stuff. What happened to her. Hey, what happened?

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thank you @HotStrange and @Fingolfinzzz. I appreciate your sentiments.
    @JohnnyGoodyear, as alway, I need to schedule an hour’s counseling with you. Have your rates gone up? I loved Laurie’s stuff. What happened to her. Hey, what happened?

@LinearLineman said:
    Thank you @HotStrange and @Fingolfinzzz. I appreciate your sentiments.

Sure thing! Your work ethic honestly inspires me and I hope to start uploading some tracks on here too. It’s jazz influenced as well but with experimental and industrial elements. And a little IDM influenced.

• @HotStrange, that you’ll be posting tracks… that makes me feel good!

• @LinearLineman said:
    @HotStrange, that you’ll be posting tracks… that makes me feel good!

I’m excited to post more!

• Music is a gift. If you are fortunate enough to have it in you, you MUST let it out. It’s an obligation. Not doing so would be reason to apologize. I cry from your stuff. Ditto on the not thinking too much. Just let it happen. You are not alone.

• I think @LinearLineman is saying that we should all just be posting more of our own "Creations" to fill in.

The only issue for me is that your output out-paces my ability to comment (as much as I'd like to because they're so great. You spin out music faster than I can type words.

• edited April 2022

@McD said:
    Your comment here reminded me to hit the "Creations" category and look for music that didn't get any feedback. I search for "0 comments" in the browser using Control-F.

Hey - good idea

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I wasn’t really naked. I simply didn’t have any clothes on.
    Josephine Baker

Ha! that's my fear.

@ervin said:
    Joining in on the congrats, let me also point out that the absolute best antidote to having 5 posts on the first page is to write a sixth post about those five and put it on the first page as well 😉 👍

He's got a method.

• edited April 2022

Keep up the great work @LinearLineman
    Your dedication to your craft and the range of your expression in your work is truly inspiring for me. I can only hope to be a 1/4 as productive as you.

Never apologize for the beauty you share with this corner of the internet. 🙏🏼💕
    Keep putting dents in this part of the universe.

• Keep it coming. It's greatly appreciated.