Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I want Gadget version 1 back.

Gadget version 1 had a super handy and very fun erase function, some of you will know what I’m talking about. Of course the version 2 release notes never mentioned removing the feature why that would make too much sense and we can’t have any of that. So what are my options?

If I were to acquire an iPad that was still on a very old iOS version, would I be able to download “last compatible version” from the App Store like I can with other things? Which iOS would I have to get to have version 1? I tried with an iPad I had on iOS 9.3.5 and unfortunately gadget 2 early build was all I could get.

Anyone done anything like this?

Comments

• Not really, except jailbreaking your device and sideloading a decrypted v1.

The problem is that both the first v2 release and the last v1 release did work on iOS 8.0, so even if you have an old iDevice running iOS 8, you'll get v2.

There's one trick though: If you have an old iDevice stuck at iOS 7, you could download Gadget v1.2.4 which was the last version running on iOS7. Then extract the ipa using the known tools and install it on any iPad which still runs a 32bit iOS.

• @rs2000 said:
    Not really, except jailbreaking your device and sideloading a decrypted v1.

The problem is that both the first v2 release and the last v1 release did work on iOS 8.0, so even if you have an old iDevice running iOS 8, you'll get v2.

There's one trick though: If you have an old iDevice stuck at iOS 7, you could download Gadget v1.2.4 which was the last version running on iOS7. Then extract the ipa using the known tools and install it on any iPad which still runs a 32bit iOS.

Damn Korg and their excellent iOS compatibility. Thank you though, this is good information

• @db909 said:
    Gadget version 1 had a super handy and very fun erase function, some of you will know what I’m talking about. Of course the version 2 release notes never mentioned removing the feature why that would make too much sense and we can’t have any of that. So what are my options?

If I were to acquire an iPad that was still on a very old iOS version, would I be able to download “last compatible version” from the App Store like I can with other things? Which iOS would I have to get to have version 1? I tried with an iPad I had on iOS 9.3.5 and unfortunately gadget 2 early build was all I could get.

I forgot version one (i forget a lot these days…) what was the trick? I know now its a few steps. Seems fiddly compared to other environments.

• edited April 2022

@PTBoise said:

@db909 said:

I forgot version one (i forget a lot these days…) what was the trick? I know now its a few steps. Seems fiddly compared to other environments.

No trick, you hold the erase button down and any notes you play replace ones already in the sequencer as long as the button is held. A rare feature. Today it can be found in GR-16 (bit fiddly here) and Drambo, but then those don’t come with a shit ton of Korg sounds and fx. If you know any hardware with the feature, let me know.

• @db909 said:

@PTBoise said:

@db909 said:

No trick, you hold the erase button down and any notes you play replace ones already in the sequencer. A rare feature. Today it can be found in GR-16 and Drambo, but then those don’t come with a shit ton of Korg sounds and fx

You could use either Drambo or GR-16 sending midi to Gadget. Basically, using gadget as a synth rack.

• @espiegel123 said:

@db909 said:

@PTBoise said:

@db909 said:

No trick, you hold the erase button down and any notes you play replace ones already in the sequencer. A rare feature. Today it can be found in GR-16 and Drambo, but then those don’t come with a shit ton of Korg sounds and fx

You could use either Drambo or GR-16 sending midi to Gadget. Basically, using gadget as a synth rack.

Word. I tried that last night actually and it’s just super annoying having to switch back and forth constantly. I appreciate the suggestion though. I just don’t get along well with multiple app set ups, but perhaps I should try again, I dunno

• edited April 2022

@db909 said:

@PTBoise said:

@db909 said:

No trick, you hold the erase button down and any notes you play replace ones already in the sequencer as long as the button is held. A rare feature. Today it can be found in GR-16 (bit fiddly here) and Drambo, but then those don’t come with a shit ton of Korg sounds and fx. If you know any hardware with the feature, let me know.

Sweet feature i cant think of anywhere I’ve seen that. MPCs have that erase button but its just a hold-down-the-pad-you-want-to-erase as the track plays.

I know what you mean about not getting along with the multiple apps set ups. Fun to build, i have all the components etc, but not as fluid, for me anyways. Life is too short maybe

• I believe BeatHawk and Electribe Wave do this. Figure too.

• @dokwok2 said:
    I believe BeatHawk and Electribe Wave do this. Figure too.

Electribe Wave and Figure just erase what’s there and do not allow any notes played to be recorded while erasing. I’ll check Beathawk but I’m pretty sure it’s just the standard erasing also

• edited April 2022

You'd get back your clever deletions, but then you'd be stuck in portrait mode, no?

Be careful when you wish on the monkey's paw!

• Jan 2014, first promo vid.
    Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end.

• edited April 2022

@R_2 said:
    Jan 2014, first promo vid.

I miss Mee Zanook... :smiley:

• @db909 said:

@dokwok2 said:

Electribe Wave and Figure just erase what’s there and do not allow any notes played to be recorded while erasing. I’ll check Beathawk but I’m pretty sure it’s just the standard erasing also

Closest I've found is ElasticDrums, which has a live record that lets you erase one track completely with a quick 2-finger tap, leaves the others alone, and you can quickly play onto the track on the fly - but it is just a version of these others-

• i actually completely stopped usimg Gadget 2 because of mega-ugly UI changes, that blue gradient background is disgusting, it hurts my eyes

• @dendy said:
    i actually completely stopped usimg Gadget 2 because of mega-ugly UI changes, that blue gradient background is disgusting, it hurts my eyes

This is a good point!

• @maxwellhouser said:

@dendy said:
    i actually completely stopped usimg Gadget 2 because of mega-ugly UI changes, that blue gradient background is disgusting, it hurts my eyes

This is a good point!

Did you notice that they fixed the almost unreadable color palette in one of the updates?
    It's not as bad as it used to be initially.

• R_2R_2
    edited April 2022

@Simon said:

@R_2 said:
    Jan 2014, first promo vid.

I miss Mee Zanook... :smiley:

Me too, not your run-of-the-mill demos.

@rs2000 said:

@maxwellhouser said:

@dendy said:

This is a good point!

Did you notice that they fixed the almost unreadable color palette in one of the updates?
    It's not as bad as it used to be initially.

Agree, I don’t even notice it anymore. Definitely wouldn’t stop me from using it, the cpu/battery footprint on other hand..

• edited April 2022

@R_2 said:

…the cpu/battery footprint on other hand..

Pre a few updates, it used to really heat up my 10.5 pro. Watching now how it is on Air 4

@db909 said:

@dokwok2 said:

@db909 said:

@dokwok2 said:

The cool thing about the erase feature in the Elastic Drum app is that you can see the one track you erase as you erase it, in live record, and drop notes in the next time through the loop. It’s fast enough between full erase (erases the whole track with long press) and adding notes that you can try versions of the loop one after the other very fluidly…Elastic Drums has a grip full of dope features