Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nektar LX88+, Wireless MIDI, iOS/iPhone

Hi All,

I recently purchased a Nektar LX88+ MIDI Controller Keyboard. I've had it a few days and have really had a lot of fun with it. I've connected it to both my Mac Laptop via USB and I have connected it via Wired MIDI and Korg PlugKey to my iPhone and everything works great.

I've used the Yamaha MIDI Bluetooth adpater in the past with pretty good success and was thinking about using a MIDI Bluetooth adapter with the Nektar as well. However, the Nektar LX88+ has only MIDI out. There is no MIDI IN Port of course since it is only a controller.

Are there MIDI Bluetooth adapters available that only do MIDI Out? Should I use the MIDI Out Port or find an adapter that plugs into the USB Port on the Nektar. Which MIDI Bluetooth adapter works best if you are only going to be using MIDI out.

Also, I've been looking in the Nektar manual but have not found any description yet - it is possible to toggle between MIDI out through the MIDI Port and MIDI out through the USB port - or are they always both on?

For the price, this Nektar LX88+ is really not bad at all...

Comments

• CME WIDI Master apparently can be used without a midi IN connection; and the midi IN bit is detachable. It needs to have either 5v or 3.3v power from the midi out port, so it is compatible with most but maybe not all. According to the Manual:

Note 1: If the MIDI device only has a MIDI OUT DIN connector, there is no need to
    connect the mini jack connector and sub adapter.

I can try to test this if you're interested - not sure if my controller has enough voltage but it should.

The Zivix puc+ can be switched between IN and OUT - it only has one MIDI port (but it does have an usb host connection as well). It runs on AA batteries or usb power. This I have tested, and it works great; but I'm not sure if it's still available in stores.

• edited April 2022

Hi. I have the LX61+, which is basically similar, though it lacks the MIDI port. You can enable the MIDI over USB, manual page 23. These KBs have a lot of configuration possibilities, and it's all accessible from the keyboard, no computer required. I would assume the MIDI over the MIDI port is always active; why not, after all?

Why are you concerned about it not having a MIDI input? Surely a BT MIDI adapter can be connected for one-way comms?

Edit: Maybe I should explain. DIN MIDI is just raw serial data. Senders just send, receivers just listen. There's no protocol or handshaking involved. The IN and OUT ports are two independent serial streams. So there should be no problem leaving one BT adapter port unconnected.

• @JudasZimmerman said:
    CME WIDI Master apparently can be used without a midi IN connection; and the midi IN bit is detachable. It needs to have either 5v or 3.3v power from the midi out port, so it is compatible with most but maybe not all. According to the Manual:

Note 1: If the MIDI device only has a MIDI OUT DIN connector, there is no need to

I can try to test this if you're interested - not sure if my controller has enough voltage but it should.

Thanks so much. I was actually already looking at that CME WIDI Master. Nice that MIDI IN can be disconnected and not used when not needed. But if I use later with a different keyboard I could use it.

• @uncledave

Why are you concerned about it not having a MIDI input? Surely a BT MIDI adapter can be connected for one-way comms?

I was just thinking that the Yamaha Bluetooth MIDI app that runs on iOS might be unhappy if it does not see MIDI IN connected. But I have not tested that yet.

• @HokieKev said:

@uncledave

I was just thinking that the Yamaha Bluetooth MIDI app that runs on iOS might be unhappy if it does not see MIDI IN connected. But I have not tested that yet.

Doubtful. And I believe that you only need the Yamaha BT MIDI app if you're connecting to an app that doesn't have BT MIDI support built-in. Many apps, like AUM, Audiobus, Numa Player, do include BT MIDI support, so they can connect directly to the adapter. Look for it in the app's MIDI settings.

• @HokieKev said:

@JudasZimmerman said:
    CME WIDI Master apparently can be used without a midi IN connection; and the midi IN bit is detachable. It needs to have either 5v or 3.3v power from the midi out port, so it is compatible with most but maybe not all. According to the Manual:

Thanks so much. I was actually already looking at that CME WIDI Master. Nice that MIDI IN can be disconnected and not used when not needed. But if I use later with a different keyboard I could use it.

Just tested, it works fine with just the MIDI out,