Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Developers: Let's Talk About Making Those Updates For Desktop Software Easier For Customers

edited April 2022 in General App Discussion

For developers who sell desktop versions of their software through their own web site, we need to talk about making it easier to find Support information and clearly labeled Updates for software, both of which are critical for users, but likely a source of headaches for the developers.

For example, I just tried to use Bleass' Alpha synth as a plug-in in GarageBand and was notified that there was "NEW VERSION AVAILABLE" for the software (the notification appears as a large button in the synth)... Well, I click on it and it takes me to a web page with no visible link to update the software. What am I supposed to do now? And if you look at the "Support" page on Bleass.com, there is nothing except two brief lines of text telling customers to contact them at an email address or on social media. This is not a good solution. The solution is to have clearly labeled (and PROMINENT) links to update software and to list the current version number of the software and the date it was updated. This kind of thing is fundamental.

As of right now (April 20, 2022) there is no visible link to just update the Alpha synth, only a link to buy the Doug Woods patches (which are quite nice, by the way). If a person only wants to update the software, what are they supposed to do?:
https://www.bleass.com/2022/04/20/bleass-alpha-synthesizer-updated-to-1-1/

For other sellers of desktop versions of their products, offering all software through the App Store would be an ideal solution for users because all updates get pushed out automatically. Since this is not the case, then the developer MUST be more proactive and make updates and answers easier for the users.

Comments

• edited April 2022

Another example: I use and love the Toneboosters apps on both iOS and desktop, but I never know when there are new updated versions to download from the Toneboosters web site, so I find myself going back to their site every week or two to check. This is a waste of time since new update notifications could be pushed out to the plugins.

Moog has several of their newer apps available on both platforms via the App Stores, so there's no need to check for updates.

And Cherry Audio has an "OK" solution, which involves looking in their app settings and manually checking for updates, or clicking a box to automatically install updates. Still better than requiring users to dig around on a web site searching in vain for a link.

• For Bleass apps it's easy and stated in their F.A.Q...
    https://www.bleass.com/f-a-q-frequently-asked-questions/
    (Number 4).

• For some other apps you just log into your account on their site and download the latest version...

• @Samu said:
    For Bleass apps it's easy and stated in their F.A.Q...
    https://www.bleass.com/f-a-q-frequently-asked-questions/
    (Number 4).

Why is that a frequently asked question? Because it's not obvious how to get there via the links on their site. Having things hidden from customers makes everyone's experience worse.

Also just to be clear, there is no update link on the Alpha page:
    https://www.bleass.com/product/bleass-alpha-synthesizer/

• @Samu said:
    For some other apps you just log into your account on their site and download the latest version...

Yes, when these things are obvious then there is no need for them to be pointed out.

• @NeuM said:

You always download the 'full' version and install it...

• edited April 2022

@Samu said:

@NeuM said:

You always download the 'full' version and install it...

Where does it say that? Certainly not on their F.A.Q. page.

Cherry Audio apps do not require a full app download and install.

• You do understand that the "NEW VERSION AVAILABLE" button IN THE SYNTH does not take one to that tab, right?

• @NeuM said:

You do understand that the "NEW VERSION AVAILABLE" button IN THE SYNTH does not take one to that tab, right?

Yes, and their apps could directly link to the download objects but I guess they want you to search on the page and maybe get lured into getting some of the additional sound-packs...
    ...but hey, that's why they've got support email to nag them do death ;)

• @Samu said:

@NeuM said:

You do understand that the "NEW VERSION AVAILABLE" button IN THE SYNTH does not take one to that tab, right?

Yes, and their apps could directly link to the download objects but I guess they want you to search on the page and maybe get lured into getting some of the additional sound-packs...
    ...but hey, that's why they've got support email to nag them do death ;)

LOL. I know you understand exactly what I'm talking about here. ;)

• This conversation helps me remember why I grew to hate the desktop software world. Apple's "big brother" approach to software distribution and versioning is perfect for me.
    Desktop devs try to enforce security with license managers and all sorts of "one off" solutions. I guess getting hooked on the "best in class" license manager can provide similar benefits.

Will any developers wander into this mob and share their thoughts? @bleassapp does have an account here.

• Just recently dealing with all this since osx updates, new computer, trying to remember which vst was bought where etc. I realized how much I appreciate ios and the app store.

• edited April 2022

@McD said:
    This conversation helps me remember why I grew to hate the desktop software world. Apple's "big brother" approach to software distribution and versioning is perfect for me.
    Desktop devs try to enforce security with license managers and all sorts of "one off" solutions. I guess getting hooked on the "best in class" license manager can provide similar benefits.

Will any developers wander into this mob and share their thoughts? @bleassapp does have an account here.

Likewise. The App Store has sort of "spoiled" us, I suppose. But I consider it the standard by which all other options should be measured now.

• @hibjshop said:
    Just recently dealing with all this since osx updates, new computer, trying to remember which vst was bought where etc. I realized how much I appreciate ios and the app store.

Same. I consider App Store sales first now and buying direct my absolute last option.

• I tried to use the Mac App Store when I went to release PhaseDelayArray on the Mac. Apple wouldn't accept the app upload to even get it in to review. Seemed to be a bug in the App Store software. Maybe it's fixed now, but adding more App Store headache to my life just isn't something I'm going to do at this point. So, I'm only going to release the Mac stuff on my website. If I were selling them, then there is absolutely no way I would do it through the Mac App Store.

I don't have and I don't want a database of user's email addresses. I don't want to put any internet connection in my plugin. I could put it in the container app, but I don't believe anyone ever opens the container app, so that wouldn't work. I wouldn't make a plugin manager because I don't use any form of commercial license manager. Even when I was selling my plugins on OS X, I only put in a very easy to crack nag to get people to consider paying. (Note that yes, every one of my plugins were on the crack sites, even the free plugins.)

If I were selling apps now for the Mac, then I would keep a DB of addresses and would email when updates were available. I can't think of anything better that doesn't complicate the plugins in ways I don't want to do or is straight forward and guaranteed for the users to see.

• @NeonSilicon said:
    I tried to use the Mac App Store when I went to release PhaseDelayArray on the Mac. Apple wouldn't accept the app upload to even get it in to review. Seemed to be a bug in the App Store software. Maybe it's fixed now, but adding more App Store headache to my life just isn't something I'm going to do at this point. So, I'm only going to release the Mac stuff on my website. If I were selling them, then there is absolutely no way I would do it through the Mac App Store.

I don't have and I don't want a database of user's email addresses. I don't want to put any internet connection in my plugin. I could put it in the container app, but I don't believe anyone ever opens the container app, so that wouldn't work. I wouldn't make a plugin manager because I don't use any form of commercial license manager. Even when I was selling my plugins on OS X, I only put in a very easy to crack nag to get people to consider paying. (Note that yes, every one of my plugins were on the crack sites, even the free plugins.)

If I were selling apps now for the Mac, then I would keep a DB of addresses and would email when updates were available. I can't think of anything better that doesn't complicate the plugins in ways I don't want to do or is straight forward and guaranteed for the users to see.

Sending customers an email to notify them of updates, along with a link to their particular update would be completely acceptable. But you haven't made any updates to your plugins anyway, right? I consider them little gems for music production.

• @NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:
    I tried to use the Mac App Store when I went to release PhaseDelayArray on the Mac. Apple wouldn't accept the app upload to even get it in to review. Seemed to be a bug in the App Store software. Maybe it's fixed now, but adding more App Store headache to my life just isn't something I'm going to do at this point. So, I'm only going to release the Mac stuff on my website. If I were selling them, then there is absolutely no way I would do it through the Mac App Store.

Sending customers an email to notify them of updates, along with a link to their particular update would be completely acceptable. But you haven't made any updates to your plugins anyway, right? I consider them little gems for music production.

There have been some updates to each of them. The links on my website to the Mac version track the updates to the iOS versions. So, if there is an iOS update there will be a Mac update too. Not ideal, I know, but I really don't want to get into securing a DB and data entry for the plugins I have.

My situation is really simple compared to something like NI or IK, but I don't really see an ideal way to handle this. It would be very slick if Apple would make it so that developers that signed their apps with Apple could make it so they were registered with the App Store and would notify and link to the dev's site when a new build is uploaded and signed with Apple. It would allow Apple to help maintain the security of macOS and users' data while not having to incur the costs of hosting.

• edited April 2022

@NeonSilicon said:

@NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:

There have been some updates to each of them. The links on my website to the Mac version track the updates to the iOS versions. So, if there is an iOS update there will be a Mac update too. Not ideal, I know, but I really don't want to get into securing a DB and data entry for the plugins I have.

My situation is really simple compared to something like NI or IK, but I don't really see an ideal way to handle this. ** It would be very slick if Apple would make it so that developers that signed their apps with Apple could make it so they were registered with the App Store and would notify and link to the dev's site when a new build is uploaded and signed with Apple. It would allow Apple to help maintain the security of macOS and users' data while not having to incur the costs of hosting.**

That's an interesting idea, but I have a feeling their argument would be that anything they don't host they cannot vouch for its security.

• @NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:

My situation is really simple compared to something like NI or IK, but I don't really see an ideal way to handle this. ** It would be very slick if Apple would make it so that developers that signed their apps with Apple could make it so they were registered with the App Store and would notify and link to the dev's site when a new build is uploaded and signed with Apple. It would allow Apple to help maintain the security of macOS and users' data while not having to incur the costs of hosting.**

That's an interesting idea, but I have a feeling their argument would be that anything they don't host they cannot vouch for its security.

They are vouching to a degree now. I believe they do the automated part of app store verification when you submit the app to be signed. I don't think it is very likely that they will add anything like this to the app store. Might not hurt to ask though.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:

They are vouching to a degree now. I believe they do the automated part of app store verification when you submit the app to be signed. I don't think it is very likely that they will add anything like this to the app store. Might not hurt to ask though.

Well, WWDC is coming up... ;)

• @NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:

I'm going to try and find a feature request form on the App Store Connect site. I'm not holding out hope for a response.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:

I'm going to try and find a feature request form on the App Store Connect site. I'm not holding out hope for a response.

You never know. I wrote a complaint to Tim Cook and (sort of) got a response from his team about a bad Apple Store experience I had.