Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

PaulXStretch - Extreme Time Stretching

Comments

• So here I am nagging again... ;)

• @sonosaurus said:
    As discussed in another thread, I've taken over maintenance of the PaulXStretch application/plugin and have made some updates to the Mac/Windows version, as well as getting an iOS version working (standalone and AUv3 effect plugin).

PaulXStretch is designed for radical transformation of sounds. It is not suitable for subtle time or pitch correction. Ambient music and sound design are probably the most suitable use cases. It can turn any audio into hours or days of ambient soundscape, in an amazingly smooth and beautiful way. The project is open source and free.

The iOS version is now in public TestFlight, so hopefully I can get a few more people to give some testing feedback.

I also made a new website for it, which has links for all the current builds, and also to the iOS TestFlight public signup.

https://sonosaurus.com/paulxstretch

Please let me know if you have any questions... and also try out the desktop versions as well!

I'm glad you took over development of this amazing long-standing app. :) I have no idea how I initially missed this thread, lol, but I'm going to test out the iOS version. Thank you for porting it to here by the way.

• maybe we is lucky and the Grand Blue Sonosaurus pushes this over us all.:)

• @sonosaurus said:
    And for a good overview of how to use it, check out this tutorial:

It was based on the earlier version, even though it looks a little different, everything still applies.

Sonosaurus, my hero!!!
    Joking apart, a massive thank you for your wonderful inventions, couldn’t count the hours of fun I’ve had with TJ and DJ over the years, and now this!

• Finally started messing around with this tonight and AAAAAAAA I love it. Fed it a couple of piano notes, tweaked the ratios, added a little granular delay and a super-long reverb, and I’ve been listening to the results for (checks watch) about an hour. Planning some more extensive experimentation for Drone Day tomorrow. Thanks, @sonosaurus!

• @celtic_elk said:
    Finally started messing around with this tonight and AAAAAAAA I love it. Fed it a couple of piano notes, tweaked the ratios, added a little granular delay and a super-long reverb, and I’ve been listening to the results for (checks watch) about an hour. Planning some more extensive experimentation for Drone Day tomorrow. Thanks, @sonosaurus!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!!! :smiley:

• @celtic_elk said:
    Finally started messing around with this tonight and AAAAAAAA I love it. Fed it a couple of piano notes, tweaked the ratios, added a little granular delay and a super-long reverb, and I’ve been listening to the results for (checks watch) about an hour. Planning some more extensive experimentation for Drone Day tomorrow. Thanks, @sonosaurus!

Right? It’s fantastic. I’ve been feeding whatever I can into it. Have a track I’m planning on releasing eventually that I made by sending a AI generated loop from Chordbot inside it.

• Is this app heavy on CPU?

• @Identor said:
    Is this app heavy on CPU?

Not that I’ve noticed. I’m running a 2018 iPad Pro, and the drone I’m listening to in AUM right now is Paulxstretch, a couple of reverbs, Timeless 3, Chow Tape Model, Granular (the free Mutable Clouds port), Rough Rider 3, and Eventide Crushstation, and I’m pulling about 23-24% CPU. It was higher when I still had the modules loaded that I used to generate the initial loop (Zoia sequencing Model D into Mammoth), but once you’ve got a recording you like you can jettison those plug-ins and just work from the recorded audio in Paulxstretch. I just captured a 30sec snippet of the output I was getting from that Zoia setup, stretched it out 20x length, and started sound designing.

Incidentally, that’s one of the things that I like most about making drones: it subverts all my BS insecurities about "making music." The starting materials are basically arbitrary; I don’t have to worry about whether that’s a "good" beat, riff, melody, or chord progression. I usually have a sequence of (slowly!) changing notes, but that’s more to generate the feeling of change than to convey any particular melodic idea. I can spend 20-30 minutes crafting a drone, keep it running in my headphones for a few hours while I do other things, and then jettison it without too much worry - after all, I can just make another one when the mood hits. I don’t feel precious about any particular version, and apart from making a mental note about an app setting or combination that produced pleasing results, I don’t feel any great need to document the output for posterity or share them with people. It’s very liberating.

• For what it is doing it's not heavy at all!!! 👏🏼

• This one is right up there with Sector in the time sucking vortex. I'm afraid to pick either of these up in the evening if I have to get up the next day. Invariably I don't come up for air until like 3 or 4 am.

• @wim said:
    This one is right up there with Sector in the time sucking vortex. I'm afraid to pick either of these up in the evening if I have to get up the next day. Invariably I don't come up for air until like 3 or 4 am.

Too bad the app cannot stop time!

• @sonosaurus is there still an AUv3 DrumJam Pad section coming?

• Please release it already.... :D

• @lasselu said:
    Please release it already.... :D

Okay, okay! I have an update pending over here to finish, but then I might as well release it.

• big thanks & love sonosaurus!!!

• @sonosaurus said:

@lasselu said:

Okay, okay! I have an update pending over here to finish, but then I might as well release it.

🙌🏽

• @sonosaurus said:

@lasselu said:

Thank you!!! :) :*

• @sonosaurus said:

@lasselu said:

Awesome news! All of your apps are among my desert island collection.

• Does this app have any connectivity?

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Does this app have any connectivity?

On iOS? Yes. It is standalone and AUv3.

• @wim said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

+IAA

• I’ve got the TestFlight, and I like it.

• @maxwellhouser said:

@wim said:

+IAA

I can’t find it in my AUM drop down menus, neither au or IAA. Maybe I need a restart.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@maxwellhouser said:

@wim said:

+IAA

I can’t find it in my AUM drop down menus, neither au or IAA. Maybe I need a restart.

I double checked on my iPhone quick before posting using Apematrix. It did take 2 tries to get it going. It’s listed in IAA list on Apematrix…

• wimwim
    edited May 2022

@maxwellhouser said:

@wim said:

+IAA

Try opening the standalone once first. Some apps need that in order to register as AU plugins. I always do that whenever I install a new app.

• Wait a sec.
    I don't see it as an instrument plugin in AUM, only as an FX. Is that maybe the issue for you @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr ?

• @wim said:
    Wait a sec.
    I don't see it as an instrument plugin in AUM, only as an FX. Is that maybe the issue for you @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr ?

Yes, good catch. Muchas gracias!

• Also it’s still amazing that PaulXStetch is on my phone. Well worth signing up for the public beta as @sonosaurus has been gracious enough to improve the original and make it available for us.

I didn’t really participate in drone day but for my own amusement I did stretch 1 second of bird song 100x with pitch and freq shift all the way down. 👍😎😵‍💫

• edited May 2022

@wim said:
    Wait a sec.

Yes, good catch. Muchas gracias!

It seems to have caught several people off guard that it is only an effect plugin. Obviously to use the input capturing feature it needs the input, but I guess when using file loading only it could be useful in an instrument slot. I kind of wish hosts would just let effects be insertable in any slot (and just provide silence on the input when in instrument slot) (hint hint @j_liljedahl !) . Providing both instrument and effect versions of the same plugin is a bit of a build configuration pain…

Is everyone OK with having it just be an effect?