Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Elektron Syntakt

Comments

• @Nathi94 said:

@StudioES said:
    @Nathi94 Model Cycles is, imo, the perfect 1st Elektron box. It's the easiest one to learn Elektron's workflow. That way if you don't like their workflow (which gets more complicated with the more expensive boxes), you won't lose much cash when you sell it. And 220€ seems like a good deal.

That’s what my thought was too. It comes without the original package but all stuff is included and a usb charging cable. I guess like you said not a bad deal that maybe satisfy my urge for hardware. :)

I'm on the same boat here.
    Wanting to get onto the Elektron workflow, and some Cycles popped up with good prices on my area.
    Elektron only gets here imported by individuals, not stores, so it can get expensive :lol:

If you get it, hoping to enjoy some jams on your instagram

• @sigma79 said:
    are you saying I can use 5 pin midi > sync cable.

No, most likely not unless you're good with a soldering iron and electronics.

Remember above when I suggested searching for a 'MIDI-to-CV interface'? Those interfaces sometimes have a Clock output, which could be plugged into the Volca Modular's Sync input. btw, that Sync input is just looking for an analog pulse which is very primitive (pre-MIDI 1960/70s stuff).

To get sync ( when needed ) to volca modular? Iv got the app for sync just didnt know about a cable. Always used the volca drum to sync the modular and with IOS.

The way you've got it hooked up is fine, for sync, but didn't you want to send MIDI notes from iPad to Volca Modular? Then you're gonna need a 'MIDI-to-CV interface'.

https://schneidersladen.de/en/midi-din-sync/midi-to-cv-interfaces/
    https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/cvocd-a-super-flexible-midi-to-cv-box/
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/37407/beta-testers-wanted-auv3-midi-to-cv-gate-converter

MIDI=Music Instrument Digital Interface.
    CV=Control Voltage. Electricity. Analog.

Feel free to ask me any questions, I have coffee.

• @senhorlampada said:

@Nathi94 said:

@StudioES said:
    @Nathi94 Model Cycles is, imo, the perfect 1st Elektron box. It's the easiest one to learn Elektron's workflow. That way if you don't like their workflow (which gets more complicated with the more expensive boxes), you won't lose much cash when you sell it. And 220€ seems like a good deal.

That’s what my thought was too. It comes without the original package but all stuff is included and a usb charging cable. I guess like you said not a bad deal that maybe satisfy my urge for hardware. :)

I'm on the same boat here.
    Wanting to get onto the Elektron workflow, and some Cycles popped up with good prices on my area.
    Elektron only gets here imported by individuals, not stores, so it can get expensive :lol:

If you get it, hoping to enjoy some jams on your instagram

Unfortunately I decided to not buy it, the seller seems a bit to suspicious. Yea for me the normal prices are already a bit much so i can only imagine what those stuff might cost for beeing imported, hope you have luck finding a good deal :)
    I’m stills keeping an eye on deals but also thinking about getting just something like the Novation Launchpad/Control for controlling Drambo. Not the same experience but maybe enough for me since I’m very satisfied with Drambo flexibility.

• @Nathi94 said:
    Unfortunately I decided to not buy it, the seller seems a bit to suspicious. Yea for me the normal prices are already a bit much so i can only imagine what those stuff might cost for beeing imported, hope you have luck finding a good deal :)
    I’m stills keeping an eye on deals but also thinking about getting just something like the Novation Launchpad/Control for controlling Drambo. Not the same experience but maybe enough for me since I’m very satisfied with Drambo flexibility.

Ouch... that sucks
    That's another option too i've been thinking. Getting a beatstep or launchpad/key
    Or figure out something with what I have here.
    We have good synths and sequencers already on iOS. Just missing the tactile feel :lol:

• @senhorlampada said:

@Nathi94 said:

Ouch... that sucks
    That's another option too i've been thinking. Getting a beatstep or launchpad/key
    Or figure out something with what I have here.
    We have good synths and sequencers already on iOS. Just missing the tactile feel :lol:

Same for me. Soundwise I’m more then covered, just something for the tactile feeling (or my G.A.S)😆

• And so it begins

• Oh wow.
    We’ll expect to see some tracks by tomorrow @echoopera!

• Can someone program "Sexual Healing" a la the TR 808 and post a video? :smiley:

• @echoopera said:
    And so it begins

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

• Finally, a new Elektron box

A super-expensive Model:Cycles.

• People keep saying that the Syntakt is an overpriced M:C.

Here’s a video with a good break down of what the Syntakt isn’t and what the Syntakt actually is.

• Looking forward to hearing your feels on this unit @echoopera // very tempting machine!

• edited April 2022

@echoopera said:
    People keep saying that the Syntakt is an overpriced M:C.

Here’s a video with a good break down of what the Syntakt isn’t and what the Syntakt actually is.

Congrats on the purchase. We know you have skills and will make something cool with it. This outweighs the negativity concerning lack of sampling, song mode, price, etc.

I also play string instruments so I get why song mode would be desirable to some.

But I also have no problem laying down Syntakt tracks, then overdubbing my string instrument parts on separate tracks, thanks to the miracle of multi-track recording technology.

• edited May 2022

Here's a snippet of my first little bit of exploration with Syntakt. I also used my DigiTone and Drambo to fill out the track in the way I envision using this wonderful synth:

As always, thanks for the listen :wink:

• Very nice, as usual @echoopera.

How versatile are the digital SY machines?

It's nice that the analog 2-VCO from Rytm can be on 3 tracks, but I'm especially curious about the digital SY machines.

I heard that some are expanded M:C machines, while the rest of the digital SY machines are new.

• Thanks for giving it a listen.

I’m enjoying the sounds it generates. I’m not familiar with the other pieces of Elektron kit you mentioned so I’m not sure how it stacks up.

• The hats in your song scream M:C, MD, or MnM. :smile:

• edited May 2022

I really like the Hats 😉

It really reminds me of DrumComputer in a weird way…but better in so many ways.

• Keeping at it and really loving this synth. Here's where I ended up today after a bit more tweaking and improvising with Drambo+Syntakt:

• @echoopera said:
    Keeping at it and really loving this synth. Here's where I ended up today after a bit more tweaking and improvising with Drambo+Syntakt:

Sounds good!
    Which piano is that? Pure?

• I've stumbled over an interesting video showing an old Macbook Air, numerous free synthesis and effect plugins and the use of keyboard shortcuts to make the composition process feel more like hardware - specifically the Syntakt.

• @rs2000
    Sometimes I feel you cannot swap the tactile feel or "restrictive" workflow of some gear.
    But I love Michael's videos. His alternatives are worth trying and may save some cash :lol:
    Thanks for sharing this one. Elektron gear are hard to come by in my area

• @rs2000 I found this video a bit disingenuous. You can replace pretty much any hardware with an old laptop and Ableton Live Lite, but that misses the point of using hardware.

But I love his videos in general. Especially the Koala+Nanokontrol2 one.

• Wired and ready to roar:

@rs2000 Thank you. Yep Pure Piano.

• @echoopera said:
    Wired and ready to roar:

@rs2000 Thank you. Yep Pure Piano.

@echoopera Looks like that’s going to be great fun. Brilliant combo. Even better once the update drops.

• I've owned most Elektron stuff at one point or another and most of it has gone (only the Machinedrum endured, but my beloved MD just died a violent death). I've built up a pretty thick skin against Elektron GAS.

But I need a new hardware drum machine and boy does this look good. Especially with the possibility of iPad integration for direct sampling and processing, not to mention automation. Really hits my sweet spot.

• @rs2000 said:
    I've stumbled over an interesting video showing an old Macbook Air, numerous free synthesis and effect plugins and the use of keyboard shortcuts to make the composition process feel more like hardware - specifically the Syntakt.

That is a great video, I’d forgotten about him. Thanks for posting. He’s interesting also in that he’s the most positive and, at the same time, the most negative YouTuber I’ve ever watched. 😂

• Having fun with 2 of my faves today:

• @rs2000 said:
    I've stumbled over an interesting video showing an old Macbook Air, numerous free synthesis and effect plugins and the use of keyboard shortcuts to make the composition process feel more like hardware - specifically the Syntakt.

Maybe it's just me, but I cannot watch videos where brief silences and gaps are edited out of the video of person speaking (perhaps automatically by YouTube or whatever editing software is used), which has the effect of making the person sound like a robot. I loathe this kind of video.