Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Channel Strip / FX bus

Can anyone suggest some App's for the following purpose:

I want to plug an iphone into my USB equipped mixer and use it as an FX or "channel strip" send/return bus to help an average singer sound their best without sounding overly weird or unnatural. In a live gig setting.

Example things I might need:
-compressor
-vocal fx (telephone/radio sound)
-mild pitch corrector
-octave/thickener

Kind of like a Boss or TC Helicon vocal processor, but why should I spend $300+ on that?

I don't need reverb or delay, my mixer already has a good selection of these.

Is there one App that can handle most of this? An app that excels at any one of these?

Experience level - I have Audiobus 3 and sort of know how to use it, experienced enough to make it work regardless of current ineptitude.

Thanks to all

Comments

• Another option is to suggest to that average singer that they should take singing lessons? ;)

• @FrazerMatt said:
    Can anyone suggest some App's for the following purpose:

Example things I might need:
    -compressor

Korvpressor is a good all round compressor, limiter and maximizer.

-vocal fx (telephone/radio sound)

Use subtle distortion and eq.
    Toneboosters Eq would be a good choice.

-mild pitch corrector

Audiokit has an Auv3 pitch corrector but I don't know well it works.

-octave/thickener

There are quite a few pitch shifters that can do this though
    I do tend to use both dRambo and Tonestack Pro for this purpose.

• @FrazerMatt Does the mixer USB interface generate the necessary audio in/out ports that Audiobus can connect to? And does the mixer support this sort of Send to external hardware?

Another multifunction choice that meets some of your needs is BYOD. You could also look at the AU3FX by AUM dev Kymatica for good EQ and compressor.

• NuRack FX by 4Pockets:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/nurack-auv3-fx-processor/id1520146960

Covers everything that you’ve asked for and a shit-tonne of stuff you haven’t.

• Voice Rack has 1* rating and hasn’t been updated in 5 years :disappointed: I'm curious and at £4.50 I might try it at some point… are any users around to comment?

MixBox has provided instant love on vocals, the Black and White combo is awesome (1176 and LA2A) using suggested settings I hunted down. There’s a massive amount more too.

For octaver I’d be looking to Eventide Quadravox, detune could be MicroPitch.

Pitch correction… it would have to be the Waves IAP in Cubasis from what I know of current options (I’ll avoid this if at all possible, don’t want that Autotune sound)

• @uncledave said:
    @FrazerMatt Does the mixer USB interface generate the necessary audio in/out ports that Audiobus can connect to? And does the mixer support this sort of Send to external hardware?

Another multifunction choice that meets some of your needs is BYOD. You could also look at the AU3FX by AUM dev Kymatica for good EQ and compressor.

My mixer is an Allen & Heath ZEDSixty-10FX. It has a "record" bus where you can send select channels to USB. It then returns that to a stereo input channel. I've tried it and it works perfectly.

• Thanks all for your comments. NuRack FX seems perfect, as it has pretty much everything I might want in one APP, and I can custom make whatever I want.

I tried a free version of VocaLive (and Mic Room) by IK Multimedia. The paid version adds everything I might want. Anyone have experience with this one?

• Some more suggestions:

• ChowTape- free. Sounds amazing. Can do saturation, compression, adds warmth, and sounds great
    • BYOD - by the same dev. Also free. Great saturations and distorsion. Also eqs, compression, delay, reverbs and iR loaders that can simulate spaces, some weird and fun that would sound great on vocals.
    • Harmony 8 to do from to cal thickening, doubling or gospel sounding stuff.
    • +1 on ToneStack pro. A Miriam of effects in one app, very good sounding delays, chorus, octavers…