Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Got a guitar? Got Drambo? Become a Pedal Builder!

Comments

• edited April 2022

@McD said:

@rs2000 said:
    @McD The key to building effects like in the Strymon Timeline is to listen closely what each of them does.
    Lo-Fi uses filters and distortion (I often use the compressor followed by a graphic shaper to dial in my own taste of distortion,
    Swell apparently uses an envelope follower with increased attack time modulating an amp level, then going into a delay rack,
    Ice sounds like multiple delays with a pitch shifter in the feedback path (use Feedback Send & Receive and better the dense reverb instead of Drambo's delay modules),
    Filter sounds like a fast modulated BPF filter cutoff added to the original signal,
    Lo-Fi II can be done in Drambo too by using a delay plus "Bit redux", "Decimator" and, if you need finer control, a chain of Scale => Quantize => Scale. Low pass filtering the effect signal is often a good idea to remove the digital harshness.

Now this might be a reason to start learning Drambo as a "Heath Kit Pedal Lab" for the 2020's.

Making synth's with it seems crazy when I have dozens of beautiful synths to choose from and the presets just blow my mind.

But a virtual pedal board of amazing ambient spaces? That's inspiring.

A community of pedal builders? Priceless.
    Hacking and sharing and re-purposing and demo'ing.

Epic.

That's exactly the point of this thread my friend! :smiley:

• McDMcD
    edited April 2022

@rs2000 said:

@McD said:

@rs2000 said:
    @McD The key to building effects like in the Strymon Timeline is to listen closely what each of them does.
    Lo-Fi uses filters and distortion (I often use the compressor followed by a graphic shaper to dial in my own taste of distortion,
    Swell apparently uses an envelope follower with increased attack time modulating an amp level, then going into a delay rack,
    Ice sounds like multiple delays with a pitch shifter in the feedback path (use Feedback Send & Receive and better the dense reverb instead of Drambo's delay modules),
    Filter sounds like a fast modulated BPF filter cutoff added to the original signal,
    Lo-Fi II can be done in Drambo too by using a delay plus "Bit redux", "Decimator" and, if you need finer control, a chain of Scale => Quantize => Scale. Low pass filtering the effect signal is often a good idea to remove the digital harshness.

Now this might be a reason to start learning Drambo as a "Heath Kit Pedal Lab" for the 2020's.

Making synth's with it seems crazy when I have dozens of beautiful synths to choose from and the presets just blow my mind.

But a virtual pedal board of amazing ambient spaces? That's inspiring.

A community of pedal builders? Priceless.
    Hacking and sharing and re-purposing and demo'ing.

Epic.

That's exactly the point of this thread my friend! :smiley:

Maybe edit the thread title before the clock runs out:

The Drambo Guitar Pedal Builders Club (No Poofters)

[Mod edit: the “no poofters” part is a reference to a Monty Python sketch, mostly making fun of Australian culture. It’s certainly homophobic, but it’s of its time and I’m going to leave it here]

NOTE: Personally, I think we should provide recipes to make the pedals and NOT use PatchStorage. Just list the ingredients needed (the modules to be used) and then a recipe of knobs settings with hints which ones to re-visit while dialing in a sound. Just my 2 cents. This would really teach Drambo, IMHO. PatchStorage uploads would be optional at the discretion of the designer. Documenting on the Wiki might also make sense. As would videos of the build steps.

Concalls with the 5 active members might be a nice touch. There should also be a process for ex-communication due to heretical violations of Drambo Doctrine.

• edited April 2022

Another +1 on that, @McD.
    Building and uploading stuff on Patchstorage isn't the best way to teach how to build your own.

I expected them to be very helpful - and they sure are if all you want is a working patch - but they're not really self-explanatory.

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@Gravitas said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    Are any of these modules available on patchstorage guys? @Gravitas @rs2000

rs2000’s is specifically for this thread.
    Hit pause on the youtube video and you’ll be able to see how it’s been put together.
    The modules themselves are in dRambo already and
    both of our projects aren’t available on Patchstorage.

There’s a few collapsed sections though, where I can’t see what’s inside.

Looks like a chain of delay racks with a filter module attached to each one, all running through a mixer. And the delay feedback at the front? I might have a crack at building it if that’s all it is?

That’s basically it.
    The thing to bear in mind is that the “Filter” module is in the “Delay Rack” rather than
    being the next module in line because in this way each delay repeat gets filtered again.
    You will notice that I started exploring rs2000’s project from the get go.
    I changed the delay time settings from “Time”, to “1/4 Beat”, and
    tweaked the filters to hear what effect they had on the sound and
    then mapped each of the filters using my midi controller.
    Another thing I did was to add a couple of LFO’s to the “Pan” modules
    to get the delays swirling from side to side.

• @rs2000
    @Gravitas

What is the ”Delay Feedback” module I see in the video, right after the sampler? It doesn’t appear to have any connectors on it, and I can’t find anything in my current AppStore version of Drambo.

• @Gravitas said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@Gravitas said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    Are any of these modules available on patchstorage guys? @Gravitas @rs2000

rs2000’s is specifically for this thread.
    Hit pause on the youtube video and you’ll be able to see how it’s been put together.
    The modules themselves are in dRambo already and
    both of our projects aren’t available on Patchstorage.

There’s a few collapsed sections though, where I can’t see what’s inside.

Looks like a chain of delay racks with a filter module attached to each one, all running through a mixer. And the delay feedback at the front? I might have a crack at building it if that’s all it is?

That’s basically it.
    The thing to bear in mind is that the “Filter” module is in the “Delay Rack” rather than
    being the next module in line because in this way each delay repeat gets filtered again.
    You will notice that I started exploring rs2000’s project from the get go.
    I changed the delay time settings from “Time”, to “1/4 Beat”, and
    tweaked the filters to hear what effect they had on the sound and
    then mapped each of the filters using my midi controller.
    Another thing I did was to add a couple of LFO’s to the “Pan” modules
    to get the delays swirling from side to side.

Thanks! I think I have everything except for that mysterious “Delay Feedback” thing lol

@rs2000
    @Gravitas

What is the ”Delay Feedback” module I see in the video, right after the sampler? It doesn’t appear to have any connectors on it, and I can’t find anything in my current AppStore version of Drambo.

That's just the slider module named "delay feedback."

• edited April 2022

Ah @Edward_Alexander, that slider modulates the "Feedback" amount in each of the seven delay racks. The mod amount is 0.45.

Btw, here are the values that I've used:
    Delay Rack 1..7: Delay time is 1.0s, 1.51s, 1.80s, 2.01s, 2.12s, 2.21s, 2.29s.
    Panning for each delay rack is set to taste, depending how wide you like the stereo image to be.

• @BroCoast said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    @rs2000
    @Gravitas

@rs2000 said:
    Ah, that slider modulates the "Feedback" amount in each of the seven delay racks. The mod amount is 0.45.

Panning is set to taste, depending how wide you like the stereo image to be.

Oh, gotcha! It’s just a slider… ok., I get that. But how is it connected to anything, as I don’t see any of the connectors on it?

@rs2000
    @Gravitas

Take look at the Delay rack and you will see
    that the "Delay feedback" slider is connected
    to the delay rack's "Feedback" input,
    a little bit to the right where you've
    highlighted the "Slider" module in the screenshot.

To see how to connect a Slider module? you need to tap on an input.
    Using the Delay Rack as an example, tap on anything that
    has a little triangle next to it and a dial will appear and you will
    see the connector light flash on the Slider and anything else that
    has an output.

@BroCoast said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    @rs2000
    @Gravitas

@rs2000 said:
    Ah, that slider modulates the "Feedback" amount in each of the seven delay racks. The mod amount is 0.45.

Panning is set to taste, depending how wide you like the stereo image to be.

Oh, gotcha! It’s just a slider… ok., I get that. But how is it connected to anything, as I don’t see any of the connectors on it?

To use the slider as a modulator, in each Delay Rack, you tap on the Feedback knob then tap on the slider output and adjust the newly created modulation knob to 0.45. That's it.

• @Gravitas @rs2000

Ah gotcha! I see it now guys, thanks!

• @mistercharlie said:
    I like that pink cable, but it’s waaaaaay too short.

I’d have to resolder my input jack so soon with that cable with the amount of times I’d forget the length and it would just get yanked out

• @rs2000

I found this, what do you think?
    Could it be dRambo'd.

• edited May 2022

@Gravitas said:
    @rs2000

Could it be dRambo'd.

It could be indeed but it's a bit of work.
    Since we don't have storage of arrays longer than 16 items like necessary for these preset rhythms, one way to do it is to use
    ... tadaaa ...
    Graphic Shapers for that. What else? :D

We need to generate rhythmic trigger pulse sequences that are independent from quantisation (like the rhythms at 6:35+) and choose them either by using switches or, if a very conpact form is preferable, by using a second Graphic Shaper to move through different "presets" inside a Graphic Shaper curve.

Here's an example I did 5 weeks ago:

It lets you scroll through 4 presets using the slider.
    Of course, nothing keeps you from using knobs and n-to-1 switches for preset selection like in Stolperbeats.

• @rs2000 said:

@Gravitas said:
    @rs2000

Could it be dRambo'd.

It could be indeed but it's a bit of work.
    Since we don't have storage of arrays longer than 16 items like necessary for these preset rhythms, one way to do it is to use
    ... tadaaa ...
    Graphic Shapers for that. What else? :D

I love the Graphic Shapers. :D

We need to generate rhythmic trigger pulse sequences that are independent from quantisation (like the rhythms at 6:35+) and choose them either by using switches or, if a very conpact form is preferable, by using a second Graphic Shaper to move through different "presets" inside a Graphic Shaper curve.

Here's an example I did 5 weeks ago:

It lets you scroll through 4 presets using the slider.

I remember trying this myself after seeing this.

Of course, nothing keeps you from using knobs and n-to-1 switches for preset selection like in Stolperbeats.

Cool. Good to know.

• edited May 2022

Oh, and using Drambo's swing function of course @Gravitas.
    You don't need to double that in a rack/Graphic Shaper which simplifies the task a lot.

• @rs2000 said:
    You don't need to double that in a rack.

Is that via the Time signal or using the Humanizer module?

• edited May 2022

@Gravitas said:

@rs2000 said:

No, just the Swing slider via the bpm menu on top 😊

Another idea: You might want to process the GS output to have the gate trigger be at the middle instead of the bottom of the curve. Advantage is that you'll be able to fine-tune rhythmic placement on the timeline simply by moving one node to the left or right...

• @rs2000 said:

@Gravitas said:

@rs2000 said:

No, just the Swing slider via the bpm menu on top 😊

Ahhh, I see what you're saying in that regards.
    How do I add swing to a CV or G+V sequencer output?

Another idea: You might want to process the GS output to have the gate trigger be at the middle instead of the bottom of the curve. Advantage is that you'll be able to fine-tune rhythmic placement on the timeline simply by moving one node to the left or right...

Thank you, I'll try this a little bit later on.

• Oh and yet another idea for the coders out there: Slices in Flexi could be converted to Graphic Shaper presets (XML files).
    This would let us use sliced grooves as some kind of modular groove templates.

• edited May 2022

@BroCoast said:
    Drambo + MIDI Guitar 2 & MIDI note filtering is my jam ❤️

Lately I have been loving P-locking Eventide Crush Station. So cool to automate the sag and octave modes.

@rs2000 I saw your post about MIDI routing in the mega thread about 2.0 but I’m afraid my question will get lost there. I use Drambo as BroCoast described above but I run multiple tracks to layer different parts and effects. I’ve built a default instrument rack to easily start an MG2 track but I’ve been wondering if it would be easier to use just one MG2 track and then route the MIDI to other tracks for different parts and effects. Problem is that i cannot seem to reliably route MIDI out of MG2 on one track to multiple other tracks. I suspect there is a best practice that is eluding me. Any tips?

• edited May 2022

@McD: See, I don’t want to come over all woke and whatnot, frankly I couldn’t give a flying fuck about someone saying poofter these days (it was said - well, shouted - at me often enough back in the day. Usually about the time I was getting my head kicked in. True story.) So, to disinter another unwoke comedy trope of the 70s: que?

Because nor do I feel I can just not mention it, you know, the mod edit notwithstanding? Like old H.P. being a teensy bit racist. Just one of those things, don’t stop me liking his work or anything, but it has to be acknowledged, before you get into the stories. And he’s got a great excuse, being dead and all.

So: Just kinda wondering… why call back to a bit by some people who were very funny, which hasn’t aged as well as some of their other stuff? Asking for a friend.

Can we anticipate a deluge of mother in law jokes next? Or something about a black guy, a Jew and an Irishman walking into a pub?

Edgy comedy from the last century, the stuff of synthesised effect pedal creation today…

As I say. Just wondering…

• @Svetlovska said:
    See, I don’t want to come over all woke and whatnot, frankly I couldn’t give a flying fuck about someone saying poofter these days (it was said - well, shouted - at me often enough back in the day. Usually about the time I was getting my head kicked in. True story.)

Irrelevant information.
    I used to get called “poofter, gay, fag” etc, etc…when I was younger yet I’m dead straight
    so I’m with you there except for the “head getting kicked in” bit.
    I’m sorry to hear you had to go through that.

It’s “annoying” for sure.

Can we anticipate a deluge of mother in law jokes next?

I can’t stand mother-in-law jokes so I didn’t get married.
    Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Or something about a black guy, a Jew and an Irishman walking into a pub?

So when did the black guy, a jew and an irishman walk into a pub?
    I think I’ve actually done that.
    Yeah, thinking about it.
    True story.

I have a few jewish friends and I know loads of irish people, some I grew up with.

Edgy comedy from the last century, the stuff of synthesised effect pedal creation today…

Oh,…you noticed that as well.
    I thought I was the only one,

As I say. Just wondering…

Wonder way.
    Makes for very interesting reading.
    Tickles the brain cells as it were. ;)

• edited May 2022

As I say, just feel I’d be doing myself a disservice if I didn’t rise to the bait. I remember another great bit from back in the day: “Silence = Death.” #awkward #onlypoofterattherally. Oh, and some of my best friends are Jewish too… And I’m Irish. On my mother’s side. (Just kidding. I don’t have any friends.)

• Drambo with its cv sequencer, reverbs, delays, filters, bit crusher and buffer modules is a guitar effect builders wet dream.

https://patchstorage.com/beat-moosh/

• @Svetlovska said:
    As I say, just feel I’d be doing myself a disservice if I didn’t rise to the bait.

When the bait is floating there right before your eyes?
    Purrrrrrr…..Take the bite.

I remember another great bit from back in the day: “Silence = Death.” #awkward #onlypoofterattherally.

Yeah, I know this stuff all to well.

One day I’ll share again the story of
    “six white guys attacking a black guy and his white girlfriend”

Oh, and some of my best friends are Jewish too… And I’m Irish. On my mother’s side. (Just kidding. I don’t have any friends.)

Lololol….

I hear ya loud and clear.

Wait a sec….

You don’t have friends?

Oy….

Hiya 👋🏾

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@BroCoast said:

Lately I have been loving P-locking Eventide Crush Station. So cool to automate the sag and octave modes.

@rs2000 I saw your post about MIDI routing in the mega thread about 2.0 but I’m afraid my question will get lost there. I use Drambo as BroCoast described above but I run multiple tracks to layer different parts and effects. I’ve built a default instrument rack to easily start an MG2 track but I’ve been wondering if it would be easier to use just one MG2 track and then route the MIDI to other tracks for different parts and effects. Problem is that i cannot seem to reliably route MIDI out of MG2 on one track to multiple other tracks. I suspect there is a best practice that is eluding me. Any tips?

Yes.
    Start with MG loaded as an Audio Unit processor, say, on track 1.
    In any of the tracks below (or all tracks if you want), tap on the MIDI input of the MIDI TO CV module. It will flash in orange color.
    Now switch to track 1 and choose the MIDI output of MG2.

• @rs2000 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@BroCoast said:

Yes.
    Start with MG loaded as an Audio Unit processor, say, on track 1.
    In any of the tracks below (or all tracks if you want), tap on the MIDI input of the MIDI TO CV module. It will flash in orange color.
    Now switch to track 1 and choose the MIDI output of MG2.

K, thx. Thought I was doing exactly this but must have goofed it up. Time to try again!

• @Svetlovska said:
    @McD: See, I don’t want to come over all woke and whatnot, frankly I couldn’t give a flying fuck about someone saying poofter these days (it was said - well, shouted - at me often enough back in the day. Usually about the time I was getting my head kicked in. True story.) So, to disinter another unwoke comedy trope of the 70s: que?

Sorry. I do love Python and tend to sprinkle my posts with references to their skits.

"Poofter" is not common in the US so my filter didn't flag it as harmful. But triggers are real and I'm still pushing out references from my youth in the 70's. It won't happen again.

I think this might be my 3rd trigger warning. Society advances and demands new behaviors.