Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using my iPhone as a field recorder ?

13»

Comments

• @CapnWillie said:
    For the grand majority of the population including pros, an iPhone alone is all you need. Twitter, Tik Tok, Instagram and life in 2022 agrees.

The most relevant and consumed content in the world today is less about gear used, more about the actual content.

As such, It’s exponentially more about WHAT you capture than how. iPhone is always ready to capture everything. On board effects to process. Neat.

Genius is making the complicated simple yet imo most humans try very hard to make simple complicated. KISS.

• Just on the Sennheiser AMBEO headset, would there be a way to record an instrument to a backing track. Say record an acoustic guitar while playing back the daw to keep in time. Or would there be bleed between the in ear and recording mechanism?

• @Ailerom said:
    Just on the Sennheiser AMBEO headset, would there be a way to record an instrument to a backing track. Say record an acoustic guitar while playing back the daw to keep in time. Or would there be bleed between the in ear and recording mechanism?

Since these are wired headphones they will have the same latency as any other wired headset, but having said that I can’t really imagine using these to record instruments, they are more suitable for ambient and environmental recording.

• @rs2000 said:
    @kagamul Check out the file sharing options in TwistedWave Audio Editor.
    It's a rock solid recorder too.

Thanks!

• @rs2000 said:
    @kagamul Check out the file sharing options in TwistedWave Audio Editor.
    It's a rock solid recorder too.

I actually deleted Twisted. It's cool enough, but OMG that interface! Like from the 80's? ;)

• @richardyot said:

@Ailerom said:
    Just on the Sennheiser AMBEO headset, would there be a way to record an instrument to a backing track. Say record an acoustic guitar while playing back the daw to keep in time. Or would there be bleed between the in ear and recording mechanism?

Since these are wired headphones they will have the same latency as any other wired headset, but having said that I can’t really imagine using these to record instruments, they are more suitable for ambient and environmental recording.

I can imagine them having some potential as an ambient mike for acoustic guitar, maybe even vocal. The main issue I can't fathom is how to monitor and record simultaneously without any bleed into the mics from recorded tracks.

• edited May 2022

@richardyot said:

@Ailerom said:

Just fyi. These just arrived so I recorded a (well overdone) song. I think it sounded pretty good on instruments. Tiled room, kids running in and out and haven't played this song for decades but, what do you think?

https://dropbox.com/s/vyx3azigqcebgrc/Knocking%20on%20Heavens%20Door.mp3?dl=0

(Also, is there perceivable latency with wired headphones)? Also, does dropbox mess with quality. This sounds worse via dropbox to me.

• I’ve been researching mics to turn my iPhone into a field recorder. I have an old Zoom lightning mic, but it’s 16-bit only.

In the end, I remembered I have a Roland R-07, so I ordered a wind screen/wig for it, and I think it will do ok.

Downsides:

• No recording direct into iPhone or iPad apps.
    • One other thing to carry.
    • Finding a specific clip to listen to is a pain.

Upsides!

• sounds great.
    • Can sit on standby for ages without running battery too much.
    • Uses AAs.
  • @Poppadocrock said:
    Don’t have but hear good things… on sale in us Amazon store like 18%off at $149.99

Shure MV88 Portable iOS Microphone for iPhone/iPad/iPod via Lightning Connector, Professional-Quality Sound, Digital Stereo Condenser Mic for Vloggers, Filmmakers, Music Makers and Journalists

@Poppadocrock said:
    Don’t have but hear good things… on sale in us Amazon store like 18%off at $149.99

Shure MV88 Portable iOS Microphone for iPhone/iPad/iPod via Lightning Connector, Professional-Quality Sound, Digital Stereo Condenser Mic for Vloggers, Filmmakers, Music Makers and Journalists

I use the MV88. Sounds lovely.

• Recently got the Palovue iMic - a cheaper version of the MV88 with added headphone monitoring and charging port. Haven't had time to use it much but seems good so far.

• @pbelgium said:
    Recently got the Palovue iMic - a cheaper version of the MV88 with added headphone monitoring and charging port. Haven't had time to use it much but seems good so far.

How is it?

• There’s a pair of those Ambeos for $50 on Amazon. Is everyone still liking them? I’m wanting to up the quality of my field recordings and those seem to get the most praise.

• edited August 2023

@HotStrange said:
    There’s a pair of those Ambeos for $50 on Amazon. Is everyone still liking them? I’m wanting to up the quality of my field recordings and those seem to get the most praise.

They're excellent for the price, got them with me often when I'm out & about or on holidays.
    Whether they'll up the recording quality depends on what you're using now.

Another one I still like to use is the Zoom iQ7 which works a little better for more distant sound sources.

• @rs2000 said:

@HotStrange said:
    There’s a pair of those Ambeos for $50 on Amazon. Is everyone still liking them? I’m wanting to up the quality of my field recordings and those seem to get the most praise.

They're excellent for the price, got them with me often when I'm out & about or on holidays.
    Whether they'll up the recording quality depends on what you're using now.

Another one I still like to use is the Zoom iQ7 which works a little better for more distant sound sources.

I’m literally just using the iPhone mic itself now so anything is probably better 😂 I’m mangling the samples anyway so it doesn’t need to be pristine but sometimes I make more found sound and collage type music and it would be nice to have higher quality samples for that.

Added to my Amazon cart. Gonna think on it for a few days but may end up buying.

• @HotStrange said:

@pbelgium said:
    Recently got the Palovue iMic - a cheaper version of the MV88 with added headphone monitoring and charging port. Haven't had time to use it much but seems good so far.

How is it?

Review here:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/50726/palovue-imic-mid-side-stereo-condenser-mic-test-review

And a recording here:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/50873/when-will-i-see-you-again

The iMic works well and headphone monitoring is a nice addition, but I suspect the Shure/Zoom mics would be higher quality.

My ‘go to’ iPhone mic is an old Tascam iM2 - sounds very good. Most of my acoustic threads are recorded on that.
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/48121/la-vie-en-rose-feeling-good-tascam-im2-neon-altispace2#latest

• @pbelgium said:

@HotStrange said:

@pbelgium said:

How is it?

Review here:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/50726/palovue-imic-mid-side-stereo-condenser-mic-test-review

And a recording here:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/50873/when-will-i-see-you-again

The iMic works well and headphone monitoring is a nice addition, but I suspect the Shure/Zoom mics would be higher quality.

My ‘go to’ iPhone mic is an old Tascam iM2 - sounds very good. Most of my acoustic threads are recorded on that.
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/48121/la-vie-en-rose-feeling-good-tascam-im2-neon-altispace2#latest

Exactly what I’m looking for, thanks! About to go watch/listen now. Got the tab for the mic itself pulled up as well. Doesn’t look bad so far.

• The latency of a wired headphone is typically between 5 to 10 milliseconds, while the latency of a Bluetooth headphone can range from 30 to 300 ms, depending on the codec.

(Answer provided by Google Bard)

• i simply use my iPhone 13 mini with Flip Sampler. Field recordings are very much possible with that light combo.

• I record straight into Koala, but I would like to have a quality stereo mic for longer recordings.

• edited August 2023

@NeuM said:
    The latency of a wired headphone is typically between 5 to 10 milliseconds, while the latency of a Bluetooth headphone can range from 30 to 300 ms, depending on the codec.

(Answer provided by Google Bard

Errrrrr…. I am distrusting of this answer. The latency of wired headphones should be just a combo of the latency of the CPU/DAC of the device plus slightly under the speed of light.

The actual electrons excited by the DAC should excite the electrons surrounding the moving coil or acoustic plane (depending on the type of driver) down the wire of the headphones at just under light speed.

Non-wired headphones do introduce their own latency & Bluetooth latency is particularly significant.