Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad pro with USB-C : USB-hub & other connection advice

I just got an iPad pro with USB-C. I plugged in a USB-C to B adapter, and my piano's USB out into that (the piano sends & receives both MIDI and audio over that USB). Headphones are plugged into the piano. Fire up Loopy Pro, everything works, audio & midi flow both ways, no latency.

Seeking next step advice:

• What are my options to charge this iPad while playing? With my old iPad air-2 I used a lightning connection kit dongle to charge while also using the piano USB.
  • If I add additional USB hardware, like a midi-controller or USB microphone, will a usb-hub do the trick? Any recommendations on a reliable hub that won't mess up latency or cause other woes? Can a single USB-C cable from iPad to that hub also be used to charge the iPad while playing?

Thanks!

Comments

• Specifically, are there usb hubs that will also reliably do the audio-over-usb routing between piano & iPad (which works nicely in current setup without a hub).

• @des1303 said:
    I just got an iPad pro with USB-C. I plugged in a USB-C to B adapter, and my piano's USB out into that (the piano sends & receives both MIDI and audio over that USB). Headphones are plugged into the piano. Fire up Loopy Pro, everything works, audio & midi flow both ways, no latency.

• What are my options to charge this iPad while playing? With my old iPad air-2 I used a lightning connection kit dongle to charge while also using the piano USB.
    • If I add additional USB hardware, like a midi-controller or USB microphone, will a usb-hub do the trick? Any recommendations on a reliable hub that won't mess up latency or cause other woes? Can a single USB-C cable from iPad to that hub also be used to charge the iPad while playing?

Thanks!

You need a hub that can power the iPad. Only some can do that and I have just gone through 2 USB hubs finding this out the hard way!

• edited April 2022

@BroCoast said:

@des1303 said:

Thanks!

You need a hub that can power the iPad. Only some can do that and I have just gone through 2 USB hubs finding this out the hard way!

You need a powered USB=hub to charge your iPad or a multiport HDMI adapter from Apple.

/DMfan🇸🇪

• @DMfan said:

@BroCoast said:

@des1303 said:

Thanks!

You need a powered USB=hub to charge your iPad or a multiport HDMI adapter from Apple.

/DMfan🇸🇪

Cheers, yes knew this already but some hubs didn’t pass through enough juice for the iPad.

I just picked up this one:

https://www.bonelk.com/collections/hubs-adapters/products/bonelk-long-life-usb-c-to-7in1-multiport-hub-space-grey

Expensive but it does what I want!

• Two key points here:

• You need a USB-C hub/dock that supports USB-C Power Delivery. This uses voltages higher than 5 V to deliver more than 12 Watts of power.
    • You need a USB-C power module ("charger") capable of supplying enough power (Watts) for both the dock (and connected devices) and the iPad. The Apple module is probably not enough.
  • @uncledave said:
    Two key points here:

• You need a USB-C hub/dock that supports USB-C Power Delivery. This uses voltages higher than 5 V to deliver more than 12 Watts of power.
    • You need a USB-C power module ("charger") capable of supplying enough power (Watts) for both the dock (and connected devices) and the iPad. The Apple module is probably not enough.

All valid points. Just like to add that you must also take a look at the specs of your cables. USB-C is just a connector type. The actual maximum voltage for charging, transfer speeds, protocols is subject of negotiation between all components, hub, adapters, cables you have between the iPad and the actual device. The weakest specs win.

For an iPad Pro choose min 20W PD, better 30 or 40 - gives some headroom. For modern drives choose cables with min USB 3.0, better 3.1 or 3.2. For a USB-C monitor, all components in the connection must support DP-Alt - only expensive one do that.

• Invest in a decent one , I got a fairly cheap one and the mic input was very poor when recording through it . I’ve since invested in a wee rode usbc dongle that works well but no charge input so like yourself sessions need a full charge at the start .

• I’ve used this hub for over a year with no issues, if you need USB-C for power and data at the same time:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C9HZ5YT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Kingston Nucleum is the way to go. Been using it since 2018

• edited April 2022

@YZJustDatGuy said:
    Kingston Nucleum is the way to go. Been using it since 2018

Total agreement here on this hub as well:

The mio USB to Midi are nterface allows me to use my MPC or OctaTrack to control and sequence my iPad.

I then route audio over USB-C via the HUB to the usb-c dongle to audio cables back into the MPC or OctaTrack—to hear the iPad and capture samples as well.

• I don’t want all these ports for cards, HDMI, etc. Just consumes power and I don’t need them. like to go fully USB-C and bought the Sitecom C-386 with 3 very fast USB 3.1 ports. Power consumption is just 0.6 W. 100W PD.

https://www.sitecom.com/en/usb-c-hub-4-port/cn-386/p/1881

• This has been working great for me while I'm waiting for Jonatan to make Sector AUv3......

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    This has been working great for me while I'm waiting for Jonatan to make Sector AUv3......

WTF is that? An AUv3 render farm?

• edited April 2022

I've been using this one for a year without issues. I bought it because of the detachable cable; I use the longer Apple cable instead so I can tuck it away under my desk.

https://uniaccessories.com/products/uni-usb-c-6-in-1-hub-1

• @echoopera said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

The mio USB to Midi are nterface allows me to use my MPC or OctaTrack to control and sequence my iPad.

I then route audio over USB-C via the HUB to the usb-c dongle to audio cables back into the MPC or OctaTrack—to hear the iPad and capture samples as well.

Another fan of the Kingston Nucleum.

• @krassmann said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    This has been working great for me while I'm waiting for Jonatan to make Sector AUv3......

WTF is that? An AUv3 render farm?

Its a VEP7 rig with mobile devices. They released an iOS app on the 1st so you can use phones and ipads as VEP nodes. Pretty rad.

• edited April 2022

@echoopera said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0BBP

if that 1/4" pair in your picture is only output, you should be able to add the above for a stereo pair input to the ipad on super mobile rig (if you don't have another interface in there somewhere).

i have a hub with a stereo out (not stereo + mic), and I can use both on the hub. So a MIO like yours and the Line2 is my setup when only use my MD + iPad only setup.

• Immensely helpful information. Thank you all so much!

Any recommendation for a decent quality USB microphone & setup advice to minimize ground loops and other such noise? Folks at iConnectivity were telling me to avoid USB mics and I'm not sure why.

• @des1303 said:
    Immensely helpful information. Thank you all so much!

Any recommendation for a decent quality USB microphone & setup advice to minimize ground loops and other such noise? Folks at iConnectivity were telling me to avoid USB mics and I'm not sure why.

Possible conflict with another audio interface. iOS can generally support only one audio interface at a time. In some limited cases it can accept different interfaces for input and output, but still only one of each.

• One thing I have noticed with my new ipad pro that despite having a USB C connection, things are still touchy as ever. The slightest bump can cause my usb interface to lose connection...

So frustrating.

• Hey all,
    I’m having some charging problems with my setup, I think it’s a power supply issue similar to one of the posts above but I’d love some feedback before I throw more watts at my gear.
    I’m running an iPad mini 6 to an Anker 8 in 1 with the apple 20w charger. Plugged into the hub is a RME Babyface Pro and M-Audio Keystation 49 mk3. Once the keyboard and/or interface are plugged in the iPad says “not charging”.
    Should I try a 30w charger? Should I go more than 30w?

• edited April 2022

@ITBFan said:
    Hey all,
    I’m having some charging problems with my setup, I think it’s a power supply issue similar to one of the posts above but I’d love some feedback before I throw more watts at my gear.
    I’m running an iPad mini 6 to an Anker 8 in 1 with the apple 20w charger. Plugged into the hub is a RME Babyface Pro and M-Audio Keystation 49 mk3. Once the keyboard and/or interface are plugged in the iPad says “not charging”.
    Should I try a 30w charger? Should I go more than 30w?

First, "not charging" does not mean "not receiving power". It just means the iPad is receiving less power than it is consuming, so it is running down the battery. If you leave the gear connected for an hour or so, you could check the Battery in Settings to get an idea of how quickly it's discharging.

Can you get an idea of the power required by the Anker dock and the devices? That plus 20 W would be a reasonable estimate for a minimum power supply wattage. The Anker specs should give its power requirement, and the maximum PD it can handle. USB-C Power Delivery uses voltages higher than 5 V to achieve higher powers, so you really have to work in watts (volts x amperes).

Edit: It looks like the Anker 8-in-1 takes 15 W, so your 20 W supply is already on the edge. The keyboard is likely less than 100 mA (at 5 V), so 0.5 W. The RME interface should have a current spec, likely less than 1 A (5V). So, I'd go for a minimum of 40 W, maybe 50 to allow some expansion capability.

• I appreciate those who are offering specific USB-C hub model recommendations. I'm going to try the Nucleum to get over the hurdle.

For power supplies, are people buying separate bricks for this purpose? Any specific product recommendations would be very helpful here.

In my case, I'm running a MOTU M4 as my iPad I/O. I'm able to power things from my iMac's USB-C port, though I'm not convinced this is optimal.

• edited April 2022

@suboptimal said:

For power supplies, are people buying separate bricks for this purpose? Any specific product recommendations would be very helpful here.

Anker 65w charger:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086YGHRNP

• Thanks uncledave! I just tried the 30w supply for a MacBook Air and it worked great. I think I’ll look into something with more watts next

• Thanks. Very appreciated.