Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drum App for Loopy Pro Transitions?

I am hoping to use Loopy Pro for a live EDM performance. The songs are programmed on a hardware groovebox (Circuit Tracks) and Loopy Pro is hosting some synths, effects, live vocal looping, and samples.

I hope to use a few very simple drum loops to transition between songs fluidly. My thought was that I would host a drum app in Loopy Pro and have a few buttons on my Loopy Pro interface that trigger the different drum loops.

Is this the simplest approach? If so, which drum app can accomplish this? I downloaded digistix 2, as it looked intuitive, but I am not able to get loopy pro to trigger patterns that I created in digistix.

In theory I suppose I could just use pre recorded drum loops as donuts in loopy pro, but will they sound ok as I change bpm to transition between songs?

Comments

• To clarify, I should say that I intend to use drum sequences/patterns, as opposed to audio loops. Although if audio loops are easier and will sound ok while changing bpm that could work too.

• You can just record a loop of any drum app, and use that. If it’s only a few bars for a transition, it won’t make any difference.

• @GreedySpark said:
    I am hoping to use Loopy Pro for a live EDM performance. The songs are programmed on a hardware groovebox (Circuit Tracks) and Loopy Pro is hosting some synths, effects, live vocal looping, and samples.

I hope to use a few very simple drum loops to transition between songs fluidly. My thought was that I would host a drum app in Loopy Pro and have a few buttons on my Loopy Pro interface that trigger the different drum loops.

Is this the simplest approach? If so, which drum app can accomplish this? I downloaded digistix 2, as it looked intuitive, but I am not able to get loopy pro to trigger patterns that I created in digistix.

In theory I suppose I could just use pre recorded drum loops as donuts in loopy pro, but will they sound ok as I change bpm to transition between songs?

If you have DigiStix, you might want to create a thread to ask how one changes digistix patterns via MIDI. There is no reason Loopy wouldn’t be able to be set up to send the needed midi to the AU.

• I would use hammerhead for this. You can trigger or switch patterns with midi really easily, using C1 through to G1.

• @gregsmith said:
    I would use hammerhead for this. You can trigger or switch patterns with midi really easily, using C1 through to G1.

Send midi note data to trigger patterns on hammerhead. Makes sense to me and I’ll give it a try.

• @espiegel123 said:

@GreedySpark said:

If you have DigiStix, you might want to create a thread to ask how one changes digistix patterns via MIDI. There is no reason Loopy wouldn’t be able to be set up to send the needed midi to the AU.

Fair point espiegel. You provide a ton of helpful input on this forum and I’ve learned a lot from your comments.

I was hoping to get input on the simplest approach to accomplish this goal (bpm synced drum patterns for song transitions). The tool I selected was digistix, but it might be the case that digistix isn’t the best tool for the job or that I’m thinking about the problem in the wrong way.

For what it’s worth I ended up recording audio drum loops in digistix as audio files and adding them as donuts in loopy pro. Each donut is a different element (kick, snare, hh, etc.). It’s a workable solution but changing bpm produces some glitches.

• @GreedySpark said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GreedySpark said:

Fair point espiegel. You provide a ton of helpful input on this forum and I’ve learned a lot from your comments.

I was hoping to get input on the simplest approach to accomplish this goal (bpm synced drum patterns for song transitions). The tool I selected was digistix, but it might be the case that digistix isn’t the best tool for the job or that I’m thinking about the problem in the wrong way.

For what it’s worth I ended up recording audio drum loops in digistix as audio files and adding them as donuts in loopy pro. Each donut is a different element (kick, snare, hh, etc.). It’s a workable solution but changing bpm produces some glitches.

What you want to do seems reasonable. You just need to know what midi Didigistix uses for pattern changes.

Hammerhead would work great.