Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Troglodytes troglodytes

… is a big name for a very small bird, the Wren.
I’ve been watching one build a nest in some ferns by the side of a small stream for the last week and it inspired me to create this piece.
The first and last sections are based on the call it uses when establishing its territory and trying to entice a female to the nest.
The middle section is the alarm call used when it thinks there is a predator about.
All the calls are incredibly loud given it’s diminutive size.
Interestingly the Wren is highly polygynous, having up to 4 females with active nests at the same time!!!!
Music wise it turned into a concerto for Soprano Sax and Wren.
The Wren plays its instruments on the first and second sections via the A2M app.
SWAM Soprano Sax is played by me via GeoShred.
The backing on the third section is played my me using Audanika.

Comments

• Really nice @GeoTony! Beautiful piece!

• That was very beautiful! I especially liked the melody that came in around 4:00. I haven't bought any new apps in a while and I am considering the GeoSwam collection after hearing this. Great composition, very well played!

• Zowie, Tony. Uplifting and a real beauty. But aren’t troglodytes cavemen, too?… I looked it up, indeed they are!

• Thanks @Edward_Alexander , @Paulieworld and @LinearLineman.
    I was pleased with the opening solo and also the final melody which I might evolve into a longer piece (famous last words!)
    Troglodytes are indeed cave dwellers, the Latin name is from the Wrens habit of disappearing into holes looking for food and nesting sites.
    It is actually the most common bird (8.5 million pairs) in the UK, not often seen due to its secretive nature but often heard.

• Wow! 😍
    That was so flipping good!
    I love all the shimmery tinkling floating floureshes. They’re absolutely up there with my favourite type of style and sounds from the Ozrics.
    This is really descriptive. The sounds are flitting and fluttering around just like a little bird or even a butterfly. It creates a really organic natural image.
    So crystal clear and spacious too.
    Fantastic work! I’d love to hear more like this. 👍👍

• Thanks @Spidericemidas , your comments mean a lot given your sound design Meister status. The tinkly stuff at the beginning was just 5 different Roli Noise presets passed through different numbers of Moodunits Lagg Delay to get the differing delays and then a bit of TB Reverb. Quite simple really. I haven’t heard of the Ozrics but a quick Google of them has me intrigued so I will investigate further. Many thanks.

• What a brilliant idea! Using the audio to midi for bird song. Beauteous.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Zowie, Tony. Uplifting and a real beauty. But aren’t troglodytes cavemen, too?… I looked it up, indeed they are!

Let's take the average cave man at home, listening to his stereo.

• Pure magic. And normally I have trouble with running water sounds but the wren and sax
    helped me deal with it.

Audanika? Do I own that? Do I need that?
    After I record some birds maybe.

Ew, running water at the end. I had to stop.

• Thanks all… A2M is very handy, you need to tweak the Note Range and Transpose in AUM to get decent results with this sort of input though. Audanika needs a bit of love and development (IMO) before it becomes an essential. As to the effect of running water sounds @McD are you taking the piss?

• This is a fantastic piece, thoroughly enjoyable. Thank you!

• Cool sounds @GeoTony. Your mix of birdsong and composition works amazingly well. Perhaps you are at one with the bird kingdom - ornithologically inclined. You should definitely check out Ozrics - good call @Spidericemidas.

• edited April 2022

Thanks @ervin and @pbelgium . I’ve listened to a couple more Ozrics tracks and must say I’ve liked everything I’ve heard… will try some more.
    Yes I like a bit of bird action… this is a link to the ‘bird’ album I did last year…

• Lovely Composition! @GeoTony
    Subbed Loudest wee bird in the garden!
    Machine gun trills!
    Love them!
    Ozrics is a very good observation, another fave of mine!

• @id_23 said:
    Lovely Composition! @GeoTony
    Subbed Loudest wee bird in the garden!
    Machine gun trills!
    Love them!
    Ozrics is a very good observation, another fave of mine!

@GeoTony You’ve got something like 20 Ozrics albums to catch up on! If you like them, you should also check out one of their spin-off bands “Nodens Ictus” too on Bandcamp.
    Tracks vary from space rock, dub, electronic to ambient, but most all of them feature those floating shimmering tinkling arps, organic atmospheres and floureshes very much like what you created in your Wren track, which is why I was so impressed and really dig your track. Came back to it again today to study more closely after reading your description of how you did it. Hope you’ll do more in a similar style as I’ve tried many times and failed miserably! Haha. I think your technique worked out perfectly!

• Nice work, I love seeing little wrens, there’s a lot around here in the woods when I go running