Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iMPC Pro by Akai Professional & Retronyms OUT NOW (IAA/MIDI supported)

Comments

• edited July 2014

EDM Anthems
    Physical Modeled Drums
    Are some of the programs that are not clean. A hiss sound is always at the end of each sample
    I tested on ipad 2,ipad air and mini ipad retina display
    And in all the RAM is always like 90% and even the yellow line is red and playing just a kick, snare and hihats
    iOS 7.1.1 and 7.1.2
    And the loops are not exporting right

• Load effetrix in impc pro and it sync !!!! Thx for the tip

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk

• Hey, I have a response from Retronyms about Midi CCs. See pict.

• Thanks Zymos! I totally misunderstood that, maybe one of those days ;-)

I'm not convinced yet, shrugs, I guess I am happy with what I have, if the reports had been glowing I would have given in, but seems like there is some way to go yet.

• Cool, MIDI cc list would be really helpful.

• Step by step for making iMPC Pro sync to Cubasis, please? I can't make it start when I hit record in Cubasis. MIDI clock is on in Cubasis, iMPC Pro is set as IAA on an audio track, is there anything else I should be doing?

• I think you will find it is MIDI out so Cubasis starts when you press start in iMPC Pro.

• Another bug:

Load turnado using the speakers of ipad, play, and the connect your headphones and turnado is gone, plug or unplug headphones.

You are into midi and dont see the other bad things, or that only happen to me, i think i will upload some vids

• @Aphex said:

Nobody else is having the bugs i have?

I'm having the need-to-tap-2-or-3-times bug.

And to answer someone else's question, yes it chops directly to pads. You can't edit the chops (normalize, fade...) until afterwards though but that's pretty reasonable.

• I played with it for an hour and a half last night and my overall impression is positive. And a little confused.

Definitely could use some wheel greasing but it's performing about like I had hoped/expected. Didn't try any syncing but I didn't expect it. The effectrix thing is promising.

12 bucks. Let's remember; three happy hour beers. They don't come with midi sync either.

• edited July 2014

The ram at 90% thing is weird. Haven't checked it in an external program. Everything still seems to work fine so I wonder if it's over reporting it.

• The ram is checking the ram meter of the impc pro or maybe that meter is not real , i didnt check either in an external app.
    Thx @syrupcore. for answer

• Yeah, the RAM reading is total bollocks. Must be a bug.

• Can't send midi i don't know why. Perhaps you need to have a cck midi keyboard installed to activate midi in but i forget my cck at work :-(

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk

• Anyone have update to 7.1.2 here?

iMPC Pro works good??

MPC Element too???

• @syrupcore said:

I played with it for an hour and a half last night and my overall impression is positive. And a little confused.

Definitely could use some wheel greasing but it's performing about like I had hoped/expected. Didn't try any syncing but I didn't expect it. The effectrix thing is promising.

12 bucks. Let's remember; three happy hour beers. They don't come with midi sync either.

I was thinking the same thing! Only around my spots it would be two beers. Another comparison i thought of while visiting Guitar Center was that iMPC Pro costs less than the price of a lot of the music mags:)

Speaking of GC, I picked up a used MPC Element from the Brooklyn store for $59. Can't wait to use it with iMPC Pro:)

• I still don't see this as any better than Nanostudio from what I have read so far....

• Reading and playing are very different activities ;-)

• Nanostudio doesn't have IAA and the sampling layout of iMPC Pro (and the original iMPC, for that matter) blows Nanostudio out of the water. Nanostudio may do some things well, but sampling isn't exactly one of them.

• edited July 2014

@Sinapsya said:

Anyone have update to 7.1.2 here?

iMPC Pro works good??

Works fine here. A few childhood issues/bugs here and there, but they are most likely things that'll be cleaned up with upcoming updates, and they are probably not related to what 7.1.x version you are using.

Very slow loading process everytime you open a project, if you stock it up with lots of samples. I'm guessing it scans the sample dirs to build a database so you can use that fast search function...or something. But I wish Retronyms could add a "don't scan library" switch, and let the user refresh/scan the lib whenever he/she wants. If that is what's going on with the slow loading process. Again, not related to iOS version 7.1.x in my non existent expertise. :)

The headphone jack bug above reported by @Aphex sounds like a typical "random" coreaudio issue, that either the devs or Apple needs to fix, whichever gets to it first.

Ok people with no interest in this kind of app. You've made yourself heard. At this point you are only cluttering the thread with poo for the rest of us to wade through. /ur daddy

• Issues aside, this sounds real nice. Getting stuff going really easy. I always wanted an MPC and if this is the workflow I'm loving it. I got the sixteen levels going strait away and getting a nice little melody. Blown away by the audio quality.

• @Samu said:

There still seems to be no way to delete user-recorded samples without resorting to iTunes/iFunBox, seriously it's a big 'NO BUY' warning sign as i know it's not an iOS restriction, i had honestly higher hopes...

Seriously? No swipe and delete option?
    Can someone confirm this

• @R_2 said:

@Samu said:

There still seems to be no way to delete user-recorded samples without resorting to iTunes/iFunBox, seriously it's a big 'NO BUY' warning sign as i know it's not an iOS restriction, i had honestly higher hopes...

Seriously? No swipe and delete option?
    Can someone confirm this

From Retronyms Facebook Page...

So far no 'built in' delete of samples but it's on the todo list

/Samuel

Me: This is getting ridiculous, still no way to delete recorded samples without using iTunes or iFunBox, just add a swipe to delete sample already...
    Like · Reply · 1 · about an hour ago

Retronyms: I hear this — sample delete is on the list for an update. It's more complicated than it seems due to project/program/template/demo links and dependencies!
    Unlike · 3 · about an hour ago

Me: I fully understand and one way to fix it is to 'prompt' the user that the sample is in use.

What I'm after is deleting samples that are no longer used by any programs/projects and 'bad recordings' that eat up space.
    Like · 1 · about an hour ago · Edited

Retronyms: yup, I hear you. I think this will be a popular request.
    Unlike · 4 · 51 minutes ago

• @goldfish said:

@jackhead : no sync, no midi in, no midi out, no audiobus, IAA only as generator (no synth)... It's just another bad joke from Retronym.

Thanks goldfish, that's a real shame would have loved this to fit the full working sampler that just seems to be missing from ios music, I'll sick with dm1 and samplr then.

• @CalCutta said:

Nanostudio doesn't have IAA and the sampling layout of iMPC Pro (and the original iMPC, for that matter) blows Nanostudio out of the water. Nanostudio may do some things well, but sampling isn't exactly one of them.

NS also doesn't have chop to pads but other than that, sampling in NS is great. Not sure what you mean (or what I'm missing). Much better wave editor[1], easy to trigger sample recording via audiobus, pretty robust effects processing....

[1] iMPC could really use these NS wave editor features: play the selection looped (ffs), deeper zoom, save as and a random access play head. I do really dig the play up to and play after selection feature. I used to use this in pro tools constantly when editing.

• edited July 2014

I don't like the sample triggering on Nanostudio at all (having to go into Eden or a drum track). I prefer something like Audiotracks in Cubasis/Beatmaker 2/Auria. The looping feature is cool in Nanostudio (being able to choose basically any direction for sample playback), but that's relatively small potatoes to me.

I haven't used the wave editor in Nanostudio a ton, but I do like the one in iMPC Pro (good easy layout, and cool audition features). I do agree that deeper zoom could be utilized in iMPC Pro though.

Edit: Also, I forgot my biggest pet peeve with Nanostudio's sampler: No really good level detection during sampling.

• edited July 2014

These are controls I've noticed so far, using the CME XKey. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

A Oct 0 Erase Hold Pads During Playback
    D Oct 1 Select Track Down
    D# Oct 1 Select Track Up
    D# Oct 3 Full Level Toggle
    E Oct 3 16 Level Toggle
    E Oct 3 On Song Page - Clear Sequence?
    G Oct 3 Note Repeat Toggle
    C Oct 4 Return to Main Screen
    F Oct 4 Undo Menu
    G Oct 5 Record Toggle
    B Oct 6 Play Loop?
    G# Oct 6 Play Toggle

• Any chance you could get the CC #'s for those? I would really appreciate it :D

• Audio tracks are one thing, samples are another. NS could definitely use audio tracks.

When I mentioned looping, I meant that you can make a selection in the wav editor and it will loop the selection on playback. Testing loops without it is a total pain. Though I like the directional looping stuff too!

• edited July 2014

Beatmaker 2 has those same looping options, and I prefer their sampler. I know we're not comparing BM2 to Nanostudio, but that's the best of both worlds option for me (at least for now).

edit: And in the end, I really do consider audio tracks to be very similar to a sampler. Many people (including myself) use them in the same way. You can record something in an audio track and then sequence directly from there without the need for an MPC-style drum layout or keyboard.