Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Yamaha keyboards with speakers and IOS

One new thing I learned today - if you connect an IOS device to one of these Yamaha keyboards by USB, the IOS audio will be played through the onboard speakers.

Comments

• edited April 2022

This is the best dp app I’ve seen. The problem is the P515 action is pretty stiff. Not fun to play for me. The keys are wood, however.

As to playing iOS thru it you can do that by plugging the hp Jack into an audio in if you have one.

• My Yamaha MX49 synth supports audio in both directions over USB - Can record directly into iOS apps like Cubasis or Loopy…

• edited April 2022

I ordered a PSR-SX600 and so started looking for Yamaha PSR videos with IOS, and stumbled upon that video. This PSR model is supported by Yamaha's Rec & Share app, so the audio should be bidirectional over USB for it too.

Jeremy See's review included the SX600's keybed as a con as he went through pros and cons, while comparing it to the sibling SX700 and SX900 arrangers, which both have nicer keybeds. Piano/keys are not my main instrument so I'm ok with that. I'm more interested in the arranger features. This particular arranger model and its feature set are at the right price to feature ratio for me.

I'd previously owned a Yamaha DGX 73-key arranger but never bothered to learn to use its arranger features. My aunt got the 88-key version and quickly put me to shame - she advanced quickly from barely knowing how to play keys to becoming the keyboardist of her church choir as well as their musical director, making good use of her keyboard's arranger features.

Being able to get both audio and MIDI going through just one USB cable is more convenient than having to use up an audio input jack for it. Just one USB cable between a keyboard that has built-in speakers, and your IOS device makes for a nice little workstation setup.

As an aside, I expected Calandra to play GeoShred via USB from the P515 and was surprised he chose to play it directly.

• Huh. Great to know.

• @zzrwood said:
    My Yamaha MX49 synth supports audio in both directions over USB - Can record directly into iOS apps like Cubasis or Loopy…

Yep, I have an MX61 and realized that too.

• I had some issues with capacitive touch when plugging my iPad into a PSR-E series keyboard. The iPad would interpret a touch when none had occurred, making it pretty much unusable. IIRC the problem persisted for several weeks after the keyboard had been disconnected.

I’m told the most likely cause is inadequate electrical decoupling of the devices. I’m having similar problems after using someone’s cheap midi interface from eBay. Something to be aware of.

• I will test the IOS interoperability with the PSR-SX600 when it arrives. I am not expecting much, per this announcement seems to be all over the Yamaha website at the moment:

A problem has been reported in version 15 of iOS and iPadOS, in which Apps are sometimes unable to detect a Yamaha musical instrument after making a USB connection.

If you encounter this problem, turning off your iPhone/iPad and then turning it on again will allow the instrument to be detected normally. We have confirmed that this problem only occurs with version 15 of each OS.

As of October 27, 2021, we have reported this to Apple and are considering how to address it.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but would ask for your patience while we resolve this issue.