Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

We Choose To Go To The Moon

edited April 2022 in Creations

This has been on my bucket list for a long time.
I wanted to combine JFK's 'mission statement' with Neil Armstrong's 'mission accomplished!'

Comments

• I listened to this most recent run of tracks out of order.

This one really shines by merging so many different sources in a really creative way.
    I would love to analyze this one for keys and modes and the resulting harmonic structures but I'll just enjoy the disorienting feeling it creates and float on the space you created.

It's a feeling I sometimes get from Michael Brecker's way of playing sax solos just outside of the scale and sounding so good in the process of breaking conventional structures. It's that moment when the best notes are the ones that no one else would play.

That bass section is killer... Jaco was from another planet. Near the end of his short life he looks his most recent compositions to Joe Zawinul for his approval and Joe just couldn't validate the compositions. Maybe Joe thought he was being honest and had very high standards but somehow I think that played into the events that followed. The only thing that has somewhat repaired my opinion of Joe has been the way Scott Henderson and talked about him. But Scott claims he's really just a hack yet he also writes every tune on his albums and teaches his students not just the guitar but how to think like a composer. If Joe told him his music wasn't very good he'd just accept the verdict but keep making music.
    Jaco was probably crushed by the assessment of someone he respected so much.

• edited April 2022

@McD I had the pleasure of meeting the guys from Weather Report many years ago. I agree, Zawinul was a dick! Shorter wasn't much better. Yes, Jaco was on another planet. He was high as a kite, juggling apples, but friendly enough. Peter Erskine, on the other hand, was a really terrific guy. My buddy was a drummer, and Erskine took time to talk with him for about a half hour. Too bad about Jaco. What a terrible way to go. The brightest flame burns the shortest. I saw him at a local community college when he was touring Word Of Mouth. I hate to admit it, but it wasn't very good. We all went expecting great things, but he was too far gone at the time.

Scott Henderson!!! Yeah. I own a few of his CDs. I think my favorite Tribal Tech is 'Illicit'. Not a bad song in the bunch! I first heard of him from Tony Iovino, the shredder monster that wrote Sasrasvati that I posted a while ago.

The sax on this was done with 'Sensual Sax'. I think the bass was iFretless. I always 'Freeze' the tracks to audio, then add additional effects, so I can't tell for sure. I will try to be a bit more forthcoming with production details in the future. Thanks for commenting. I always enjoy hearing your thoughts.

• Great track; satisfyingly complex! It's cool how recognizable your style is, even though each piece is so varied.

• @JudasZimmerman said:
    Great track; satisfyingly complex! It's cool how recognizable your style is, even though each piece is so varied.

I guess I never really thought of myself as having a 'style', more of a lack of one! Thanks my friend!

• This is really cool! May I know what is your workflow/apps?

• @Paulieworld said:
    I guess I never really thought of myself as having a 'style', more of a lack of one! Thanks my friend!

Please don't limit your choices to anything predictable. No style means you're always questing for something different and that's so much harder than cranking out self-similar tracks.

Marketing types insist on a style for any artist so the consumer knows what they will get.
    But a true artist will er-invent themselves over the course of a career. Joni Mitchell is my poster child for the pure artist that continued over her career to re-define who she was to her audience. I feel in love with the younger Joni but had total respect for the later more
    sophisticated style that shifted the focus from her voice to her ability to assemble great bands. As a smoker the voice became another person as well so shifting to more urbane
    lyrics and a smokin' hit jazz/fusion backing band was a good us of her skills over the lilting vocal reveries of her youth. I got a kick out of seeing her get the lifetime achievement awards and the respect from the current crop of pure artists that connect to her as a touchstone.

• @zah7 said:
    This is really cool! May I know what is your workflow/apps?

I know I used Sensual Sax and iFretless, but I will need to take a look at the tracks tonight to refresh my memory.
    I will try to get back to you tomorrow. Thank you for listening!

• @zah7 Regarding apps used here, I used Sensual Sax, iFretless (or maybe iM1 Fretless), Mersenne, Sunrizer, and Model D. Those are the only tracks that I didn't change the names. Everything else got changed at some point in the process. I found that MIDI tracks with a lot of effects tend to overload the CPU, so I use the Cubasis 'Freeze' function to render tracks to audio. By doing this, I can preserve the content, and keep the processor load down. I will often try different synths against the same MIDI data. I don't document the changes so I tend to lose track of the apps that I used.

I don't really have a workflow. I just start throwing stuff and see what sticks. I find it to be very relaxing and can spend hours working on a 30 second clip.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for commenting!

• I don’t usually bump my old stuff, but as long as we are talking about the moon, I thought @LinearLineman might get a kick out of this. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

• This is like a modern take of 80's cut up records like Pump up the Volume. Cool and suitably frantic :-)

• @klownshed said:
    This is like a modern take of 80's cut up records like Pump up the Volume. Cool and suitably frantic :-)

Thank you so much. What do you think of the mix? It’s little a bit hot to my ears. I’m thinking about doing a remix. What do you think? I can handle constructive criticism.

• I’m so glad you bumped this! It’s a killer one, I didn’t hear it before. You threw together in a LOT of different sounds in a great way. I dig the energy. Very interesting reading about the weather report guys.

• Garageband, Logic Pro ?

• @Dav said:
    I’m so glad you bumped this! It’s a killer one, I didn’t hear it before. You threw together in a LOT of different sounds in a great way. I dig the energy. Very interesting reading about the weather report guys.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed. That one was a lot of fun putting together. I don’t really “write” music, I assemble it. I did get one thing from Joe Zawinul. The expression “killer”. The night before we saw them at NIU, me and my roommate saw them at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago. I told Joe that I really liked the show. He said… yeah, it was killer. Now I use that to describe music that I like. Your music is killer! Have a great day.

• @Sam23 said:
    Garageband, Logic Pro ?

I use Cubasis for just about everything. I have tried Auria, Gadget, and a few others, but Cubasis just seems to work for me. I have gotten comfortable with it. As they say, if it ain’t broke. Thanks for listening.

• @Paulieworld said:

@Sam23 said:
    Garageband, Logic Pro ?

I use Cubasis for just about everything. I have tried Auria, Gadget, and a few others, but Cubasis just seems to work for me. I have gotten comfortable with it. As they say, if it ain’t broke. Thanks for listening.

✅👍

• Yeah, I missed this, too. Glad to hear it. I always wondered what “the other thing” was that Kennedy mentioned.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Yeah, I missed this, too. Glad to hear it. I always wondered what “the other thing” was that Kennedy mentioned.

I hadn’t thought of that. I’m sure it was hard. The more I read about him, the more I respect him. His nephew sounds interesting. I hope he doesn’t share a similar fate.

• @Paulieworld said:

@klownshed said:
    This is like a modern take of 80's cut up records like Pump up the Volume. Cool and suitably frantic :-)

Thank you so much. What do you think of the mix? It’s little a bit hot to my ears. I’m thinking about doing a remix. What do you think? I can handle constructive criticism.

Sounds ok on AirPods. Maybe a bit harsh and trebly in places depending on the samples (for example if get a bit harsh and trebly at around 0:50) but that could be down to the AirPods. It’s always going to be hard to mix so many different elements and keep the mix consistent, but it works pretty well overall.

• @klownshed said:

@Paulieworld said:

@klownshed said:

Sounds ok on AirPods. Maybe a bit harsh and trebly in places depending on the samples (for example if get a bit harsh and trebly at around 0:50) but that could be down to the AirPods. It’s always going to be hard to mix so many different elements and keep the mix consistent, but it works pretty well overall.

I tend to agree. Those cymbals at 0:50 are a bit too much. I have been using a parametric EQ called DDMF recently, and it seems to work pretty well. I have been revisiting some of my older stuff and I think I will give it a try. Thanks for the input!

• @Paulieworld said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Yeah, I missed this, too. Glad to hear it. I always wondered what “the other thing” was that Kennedy mentioned.

I hadn’t thought of that. I’m sure it was hard. The more I read about him, the more I respect him. His nephew sounds interesting.

Nice melange! Glad it popped up again.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the nephew thinks the moon landing was a hoax.

• @MrStochastic said:

@Paulieworld said:

@LinearLineman said:

I hadn’t thought of that. I’m sure it was hard. The more I read about him, the more I respect him. His nephew sounds interesting.

Nice melange! Glad it popped up again.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the nephew thinks the moon landing was a hoax.

I’ve seen a lot of evidence that it was a hoax. We will probably never know, just like the assassination of JFK. Personally, I choose to believe it was real. I just remember how I felt that day, and I like to hang onto that feeling. I’m just a sentimental old fool.

Maybe this was a hoax, too.

• Glad you bumped it, missed it the first time, killer guitar and violin parts (and all the other bits really) 😊

• edited April 18

Really good one. The kb part got to me. Here’s some more historically-correct lunar vocal sample fodder:

• edited April 18

The guitar lick sounds very familiar.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    The guitar lick sounds very familiar.

I just looked at the project and saw that it was a little 4-bar loop from a Blocs Wave pack. Me or someone else probably used it before. It’s pretty generic, but I thought it worked.

Thanks for the Dusty Springfield vid! I had a thing for her when I was a young boy. Thanks for listening and have a great day!

• Nice work @Paulieworld - sounds great and I’ll bet it was fun to make B)

• @wired2moon said:
    Nice work @Paulieworld - sounds great and I’ll bet it was fun to make B)

Thank you very much! It was a lot of fun, and I really appreciate that you heard that. I love making tunes on the iPad. Years ago I worked with a band in a small 4-track studio that we built. There were many equipment limitations, but we worked around them. The only thing we couldn’t work around was ourselves. Whenever I thought we had something good, someone would complain and we had to start over. We never got much done in the studio, but we were pretty good playing live. This iPad stuff lets me get a few things done. I miss playing in a band, but it’s not really an option for me anymore. This is the next best thing. Thanks for listening!