Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help Separating Two Sounds ~ this IS a Tough One

Hi,
I have attached a recording (done in AUM). There are 2 sounds in this recording that I'm trying to separate in AUM to process them differently. Use different fx plugins on each of the 2 different sounds. The recording was made with a violin with octave strings, so it sounds more like a cello..... however (there's always that however)

however.....

the first sound - is very short and 'sticky' bass notes. Most of the time, I'm playing G, G#, A, A. You'll easily be able to hear this in the recording. A few times I might have played C, B, Bb, A, A. The 'bass part' here, I "believe" or hope is pretty distinguishable. I am playing these notes on the 2 lowest pitched strings (my violin has 4 strings)

the second sound - (my problem child) - is a percussive sound. What I am doing here is called "chopping". I am using the very bottom of the bow and hitting the strings with a very, very short bow stroke, that is percussive in nature. I am also using my left hand to mute or dampen the strings - to keep the sound percussive and not let any ringing or sustained notes happen which would make it not 'percussive'. Here, I am hitting the 2 highest pitched strings, but there's no, or very, very little note resonance, so you it's a little tough to tell that I'm playing the top two strings.

I go back and forth between them. The bass part and the chopping part.

I want to separate the bass notes (the first sound) from the chopping sound. I'm not certain at all how to do it. I thought I'd try EQ.... but you can see the 2 screen snapshots below in FabFilter - I don't see how I can separate them by EQ. I also thought.... perhaps.... maybe by time (where in the four beats of each measure) the bass and chopping happen..... but it's perfectly consistent. The bass notes definitely have more resonance, but I don't think there's something that can discern that.

Any ideas on how to separate the bass and chopping?

Thanks!!

Comments

  • edited March 19

    Maybe I’m misunderstanding but…

    Why not import the track into a DAW, cut it up and then export the tracks as new files?

    1. Import file into DAW
    2. Create a new track beneath it
    3. Cut out/Split the “chopping” from the original and drag it below to the second track (keeping the placement intact)
    4. Export each track separately

    If you need a more in depth explanation let me know. This is definitely not something you’ll be able to do easily (or at all) with EQ.

    EDIT: Here’s a quick example (visual and audio below):

  • Good call @mtenk. After listening to the file, I'd say chopping it up is the easiest way to go.

    Auditor and Neon could make quick work of this. Then one could just duplicate the sliced up track and remove the slices with the other sound from each. Or work with their option to export midi tracks timed to play back the slices, but I think the first option is more straightforward.

  • @wim said:
    Good call @mtenk. After listening to the file, I'd say chopping it up is the easiest way to go.

    Auditor and Neon could make quick work of this. Then one could just duplicate the sliced up track and remove the slices with the other sound from each. Or work with their option to export midi tracks timed to play back the slices, but I think the first option is more straightforward.

    While Auditor or Neon would work, a multitrack DAW will be half the amount of work as you only have to do the cutting/splitting once. 🤓

  • @mtenk said:

    @wim said:
    Good call @mtenk. After listening to the file, I'd say chopping it up is the easiest way to go.

    Auditor and Neon could make quick work of this. Then one could just duplicate the sliced up track and remove the slices with the other sound from each. Or work with their option to export midi tracks timed to play back the slices, but I think the first option is more straightforward.

    While Auditor or Neon would work, a multitrack DAW will be half the amount of work as you only have to do the cutting/splitting once. 🤓

    Auditor is multitrack, btw, and can do what you described.

  • edited March 19

    @espiegel123 said:

    @mtenk said:

    @wim said:
    Good call @mtenk. After listening to the file, I'd say chopping it up is the easiest way to go.

    Auditor and Neon could make quick work of this. Then one could just duplicate the sliced up track and remove the slices with the other sound from each. Or work with their option to export midi tracks timed to play back the slices, but I think the first option is more straightforward.

    While Auditor or Neon would work, a multitrack DAW will be half the amount of work as you only have to do the cutting/splitting once. 🤓

    Auditor is multitrack, btw, and can do what you described.

    Ahh, my bad. I thought it was just an audio editor.

    Looked into it… I guess it is “just an audio editor” but with a more advanced approach. Good to know!

  • @mtenk said:

    @espiegel123 said:

    @mtenk said:

    @wim said:
    Good call @mtenk. After listening to the file, I'd say chopping it up is the easiest way to go.

    Auditor and Neon could make quick work of this. Then one could just duplicate the sliced up track and remove the slices with the other sound from each. Or work with their option to export midi tracks timed to play back the slices, but I think the first option is more straightforward.

    While Auditor or Neon would work, a multitrack DAW will be half the amount of work as you only have to do the cutting/splitting once. 🤓

    Auditor is multitrack, btw, and can do what you described.

    Ahh, my bad. I thought it was just an audio editor.

    Looked into it… I guess it is “just an audio editor” but with a more advanced approach. Good to know!

    It isn't a DAW but it is a multi track/layer editor. Good for editing sounds and compositing files together.

  • edited March 19

    I'd use Drambo to build some logic to separate the two different sounds and control a 1-to-n switch into two separate processors. Then I'd delay the input signal into the processor chain in order to switch shortly before each transient.
    This will work quite well because each hit is clearly separated and the precussive hit has a sound print that is "different enough".

  • wimwim
    edited March 19

    @Vmusic does this have to happen real-time? Or is working with a pre-recorded sample enough? That’s an important factor.

  • Works in realtime. I didn't even need to add delays.

  • My apologies.... this will be a REAL TIME thing. I will actually play in real time, just like the recording I attached.

  • @rs2000 -- that's WILD..... I'm watching the 'SWITCH' module. You're a genius.

    I have Drambo. That is Drambo, right? Any chance of giving me that Drambo project file?

    @rs2000 said:
    Works in realtime. I didn't even need to add delays.

  • You can copy the modules like you see them in the video, connections should be indicated by colors.
    I can re-build it on the Appstore version though if you have some patience.

  • PLEASE - I have patience

    @rs2000 said:
    You can copy the modules like you see them in the video, connections should be indicated by colors.
    I can re-build it on the Appstore version though if you have some patience.

  • @Vmusic said:
    PLEASE - I have patience

    @rs2000 said:
    You can copy the modules like you see them in the video, connections should be indicated by colors.
    I can re-build it on the Appstore version though if you have some patience.

    Here you are.
    To try it, load a Flexi Sampler with your audio file in front of the 'Input' module.

  • @rs2000

    Thank You!!! Thank You!!! I got imported in AUM and it's working just like the video.
    QUESTION: I want to send off the signal in the switch 1 and 2 to separate Mix Buses in AUM, so I can process or add fx to each separately.

    Sadly.... I am not sure how to do this in Drambo/AUM. I thought I could add a mixer->output module and connect to either 1 or 2 in the switch, but that didn't seem to work.


  • edited March 31

    Haha, you're welcome @Vmusic :smiley:

    And no, the switch is actually the signal splitter that lets you process attack transient and tonal parts separately.
    "Eq Main" and "Eq Hit" are just examples, you can insert any processor module or an AUv3 effect processor instead.
    To use any sound going into Drambo, add an Audio Input module in front of "Stereo to Mono" and connect that to it.

    A few general hints about Drambo:

    • Signal flow is strictly from left to right. You cannot connect the output of a module to the input of a module located left from it.
    • What you can do: Add 2 Audio Output modules where the two EQs are and connect one to Switch 1-N port 1 and the second one to switch port 2. If you're using the 8-output AUv3 of Drambo, you can choose the output on the Audio Output modules. In AUM, create two separate channels that pick up one of Drambo's outputs each.

  • Nice thread @! Thanks @rs2000

Sign In or Register to comment.