Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Nanokey Studio: chord mapping strategies

I've been using the Korg Nanokey Studio for about a month. Wow! I have other, bigger keyboards (including Korg's bluetooth Air 49), but this little guy is almost ideal for casual song sessions before work.

My one disappointment is the chord pads, which are programmed for Major 7ths. Maybe Korg figured that we could take care of simple triads on our own. But, for most of what I do, the Major 7 sound is too specific.

I know that you can assign up to 4 notes to each pad in the editor. I haven't been using the scenes at all, so far, so I've thought about mapping all of the basic triads for a handful of common keys (A, C, D, Eb, E, F, G). I'm wondering, though, whether there might be a better strategy. (If only Korg made an editor app for the iPad itself!)

How are you mapping chords on the Nanokey Studio?

Comments

• One option would be to map only single notes to the pads and let e.g. ChordPolyPad create chords from them. CPP supports slide-over mode so you can use it in any app, or as an AUv3 plugin if you're using a compatible host.

• edited March 2022

For single key chord midi control I use Tonality app, chords AUV3. You can set different chords to app pads, then midi learn NKS pads to them. There is strumming and velocity randomisation too if needed. On your NKS, set a different channel for pads to keep them separated from main keyboard. This AUV3 also offers state saving of course so you can have various presets in host. It’s also a very nice theory app with nice ear training.

https://apps.apple.com/fr/app/tonality-music-theory/id1467552236

• Korg just can't get enough of 7th chords. :) In their synth apps as well, pushing the chord button usually results in 7th chords stretched out over a few octaves, and you can't choose anything else - take it or leave it. Almost like Apple. 🤷

• This morning I mapped the chord pads on scenes 2-8 with the diatonic chords from 7 keys: C, D, Eb, E, F, G, and A.

• edited April 2022

@Janosax said:
    For single key chord midi control I use Tonality app, chords AUV3. You can set different chords to app pads, then midi learn NKS pads to them. There is strumming and velocity randomisation too if needed. On your NKS, set a different channel for pads to keep them separated from main keyboard. This AUV3 also offers state saving of course so you can have various presets in host. It’s also a very nice theory app with nice ear training.

https://apps.apple.com/fr/app/tonality-music-theory/id1467552236

@Janosax : This sounds like a great idea as I’m considering getting the Korg nano key Studio but I don’t own a computer , just an iPad Pro .