Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad STILL won’t update to new 15.4

Edit: I tried updating to the new 15.4 with no luck. Screen stuck on verifying update. I’m reluctant to update via computer as I might lose my CUbasis projects. The Apple store will do it for $45 but how can I be sure there won’t be loss? Also, will I have to do this with each new update?

I’m cool with 15. Considering what I do I don’t think I need further advancements till I get a new pro in maybe two years. Your thoughts, please?

Original post: I’m trying to update to 15.3.1 and my Pro2 won’t do it. This is what I get….

I have to do a hard restart to get it functioning again… the previous version. Any ideas?

Comments

• That usually appears, and can take several minutes before it either proceeds to the next stage of the update, or verification fails, in which case it’ll say. I think you just need to give it longer.

• @bygjohn, I’ve waited… and waited…and waited!
    @CapnWillie, it works fine once I reboot.

• I had a similar issue with updating to 15.1. Took several goes over multiple weeks but eventually it just did it.

• I've a couple of suggestions.

First, I see that you have Automatic Updates enabled. Try turning it off, then restart. Then initiate update manually. There may be some logic mixup between preparing the update and verifying it. Verifying requires access to a special Apple site which confirms that you have a clean copy of the updated system. There's really no harm in setting updates to manual. You'll still get a notification when an update is available. And than you can apply the update at your convenience.

Second, you need about 10 GB free storage (maybe more) to perform an update. It actually creates a couple of temporary drive partitions to collect the files, and to create the new system image.

• @uncledave , I actually had updates turned off and enabled it hoping it would solve it. Got about 150 gb storage, too.

• Maybe they are just prepping the servers for 15.4 which should drop soonish…

• Just updated my iPad (6th gen) and iPhone (SE2020) to 15.3.1, and both went through OK. So if it was a server issue, it’s OK now.

@LinearLineman did you manage to get your iPad to update eventually?

• edited March 2022

@bygjohn @CapnWillie … still won’t verify the update. I’ll wait till the next version.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @bygjohn @CapnWillie … still won’t verify the update. I’ll wait till the next version.

This is not good. As I said, verification is provided by a special server operated by Apple. It just confirms that the parameters of the update (checksums, etc.) are valid. It is independent of the download servers, which are operated by Akamai. So verification should never fail, unless the update is out-of-date. So I suspect that your download may be corrupted somehow.

Have you tried deleting the downloaded update? It should be visible in iPad Storage. Tap on it and you can delete it. Then restart, just to be safe, and try manual update again.

• edited March 2022

@uncledave said:

@LinearLineman said:

This is not good. As I said, verification is provided by a special server operated by Apple. It just confirms that the parameters of the update (checksums, etc.) are valid. It is independent of the download servers, which are operated by Akamai. So verification should never fail, unless the update is out-of-date. So I suspect that your download may be corrupted somehow.

Have you tried deleting the downloaded update? It should be visible in iPad Storage. Tap on it and you can delete it. Then restart, just to be safe, and try manual update again.

I’ll try that. I have some concern I won’t be able to reboot the iPad from it’s infinite verifying screen. Should I be concerned? It did ask me if I wanted to update so I tried again. Same result.

• I had the same with my Pro 9.7 and got it fixed by updating over USB and desktop.

• @LinearLineman said:

@uncledave said:

@LinearLineman said:

@uncledave said:

@LinearLineman said:

I’ll try that. I have some concern I won’t be able to reboot the iPad from it’s infinite verifying screen. Should I be concerned? It did ask me if I wanted to update so I tried again. Same result.

It's still trying to install the same update, which appears to be flawed. Just power it off, back on, then delete the update. And start with a fresh download.

There's no chance you've blocked access to any Apple servers, is there? No ad blockers, proxies, special DNS servers, etc.?

• I’ve had something similar. Had to update via my laptop, and also needed to temporarily turn of iPad password while updating.

• @uncledave. I deleted and started again. It passed the verification screen. Now I just have this screen for the past 15 minutes. The gear is not turning. The iPad functions normally.

• I hate it when Apple doesn’t “just work”. Can be seriously frustrating.

The thought that comes to my mind: how much free space do you have on the iPad? Sometimes I wonder if iOS thinks your device has enough free space but still struggles to unpack and install updates. I haven’t verified that its actually a space issue, but it might be worth trying to off-load 4-5 GB, or as others suggested install from a PC or Mac because then the update file is on the host instead of the iOS device.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @uncledave. I deleted and started again. It passed the verification screen. Now I just have this screen for the past 15 minutes. The gear is not turning. The iPad functions normally.

Blech. I believe that, as soon as it starts Installing, it should reboot to its own private place, where all you see is the Apple logo. It looks like it's stuck. Something is preventing the update process from continuing. I guess you've restarted a few times, so there shouldn't be any rogue processes tying up resources. Are you running anything that might be regarded as unconventional on an ordinary user's iPad? Something related to your music activities that you regard as normal, but is in fact a bit special? You should connect to power, to be sure that's not a limitation. I'm just guessing really, not much else to say. Maybe you should try updating from a computer.

• @uncledave, the only thing I have done recently is shut off Siri search on all my apps… which did solve my battery drainage issue, I believe.

Thx @Hmtx, have over 200gb free space, however.

• @CapnWillie, I may take it over to my local Apple affiliate. Probably they’ll just plug it into a laptop and update.

• @CapnWillie said:

@LinearLineman said:
    @CapnWillie, I may take it over to my local Apple affiliate. Probably they’ll just plug it into a laptop and update.

Even better. Get out there get the fix and some exercise 💪🏽. Didn’t know if that was option but the chat service in app is top notch for times you can’t make it out. They remotely helped me with issues with my phones and macs over the years.

Confirmed. Just had an issue with audio crackles on a new mbp and chat support was quick, friendly and helpful.

• @uncledave I see 15.4 is coming out next week…. Maybe this is why there’s an issue? I guess I’ll just wait to update when it’s released.

• Now I can’t update to 15.4 as I describe in the edited OP.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Now I can’t update to 15.4 as I describe in the edited OP.

This is strange and annoying. Can you try updating via computer? Using iTunes in Windows, or whatever Mac magic exists.

Is it possible that you've installed some special Profile that's blocking the update? Look in Settings–>General–>VPN and Device Management. It's near the bottom of the list, between Dictionary and Legal.

I assume you've already tried a hard restart, etc. And you have lots of free Storage.

• edited March 2022

@uncledave, it does sound like it’s a setting thing. Both my other iPads updated no problem. My concern about hooking to a computer (my Apple affiliated store will do it for $45 and probably less likely to lose my data) is that I’ll have to do it every time and jeopardize a few hundred Cubasis projects and mixdowns.

Now the update gets stuck earlier on preparing update.
    I can stick with 15 probably for two years, don’t you think? Then I’ll be ready for a new pro.

There was no vpn connection, btw.

• wimwim
    edited March 2022

Updating once through a computer shouldn't have any effect on future updates. It's also highly unlikely that you would lose any data. You can do a full backup to the computer before updating in any case. Once you get past whatever the temporary issue is here, future normal updates should go smoothly.

The process isn't all that complicated, but $45 may be worth it if it gives you peace of mind or if you think it's going to be too difficult.

• edited March 2022

@LinearLineman

I had issues on my iPhone 6s going to 15.3, might have been15.1, but think it was 15.3. I think it involved space, but not sure. I had it downloaded, and it looked like I had enough space, but it kept not working. It never said anything about space in the pop up from failed installation. It just gave me a vague answer like “unable to Update right now try again later” I tried like every other day for maybe two weeks, restarted, kept doing some cleaning, etc… eventually it worked after a couple weeks. I still don’t know for sure why, space is just my best guess… it is an older phone 6s, but it was supposed to be able to update to that version of OS.

Sorry didn’t read other posts… How long has this been happening? I’d say give it a little time, however if it’s over a couple weeks of trying I’d get in touch with apple through the apple support app, the handful of times I used it about something they were pretty quick and helpful. It’s in the App Store under Apple. Good luck.

• @cyberheater said:
    I had a similar issue with updating to 15.1. Took several goes over multiple weeks but eventually it just did it.

Same here. See my above comment.

On my iPad 6 it worked fine, the issue was on my iPhone 6s.

• Maybe try a Reset (in Settings…General).
    Just reset, not erase everything.

Backup your data to be safe, though.
    The iPad may Reset to the latest iOS version automatically.

• McDMcD
    edited March 2022

Time for a new iPad. Then sell the old one. Life is too short to not have tools that just work.

M1!

(I know... I'm talking' about some real money here.)

• @CracklePot, thx, tried a reset, no dice, tho.
    @McD, I can wait for that M1…. It might even be an M2 in two years. I still have 300gb+ and it does everything I want it to. I’d get an Osmose first… but even that has lost its shine.

• Yea, the few times I used it they were very helpful. Cheers!