Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Out of Ipad

Is there anyway to get audio out of an ipad 4's lightning port?
I use Apogee Jam to get audio in
Thanks

Comments

• Apple genuine Lightning Camera Connection Kit, and any class compliant* audio - USB interface. If you want keyboards too you will need to connect a powered USB hub to the CCK and the audio interface and keyboards to it. Te Jam is probably going to get relagated to simple quick use, because it does not play well with other audio interfces, which are almost all both in and out, and iOS only handles one audio interface at a time. I keep my jam for guitar noodling on the iPhone now.

• one that says "no drivers needed for Mac". Behringer, Presonus, Focusrite, etc. A long list. Almost anything recent will be ok most likely. Depends on your budget and workflow preferences, but there are many ways to sking this cat.
  • Alternatively you you could use the jack-output from your iPad to a jack-in on your interface.

Btw. I use a cheap LCC (not genuine but 1/10th of the price) and it works just as well!

• Older devices should work fine too. I've use a couple of pre-iOS interfaces without issue.

• Jack output is pre-conditioned for ear-buds. Not the best quality, not up to the Jam's standards.

• Agreed, there's a very noticeable difference if I connect my iPad to my studio rig via the headphone jack or via a quality soundcard. Ok in a pinch, but definitely aim for a soundcard if you can.

• I have a Sonoma Guitar Jack 2 and this week got the new Focusrite Dock. Both of these have Audio out. Did not realize Apogee left that very useful connection off the Jam. The Sonoma is iPad powered and as portable as the Jam. The Focusrite is a wall wart. I assume the Peavey HD Link and the iRig HD also have audio out and are portable. There are probably others.

• It's not that they left audio out of the Jam, they just have different models. The next step up from the Jam is the One which does have audio out, an internal condenser mic, guitar jack and XLR jack with phantom power available in the form of external cables. Apogee is not cheap, of course.

The old model One, which I have, requires a powered USB hub in order to be recognized by iOS and the only way I know of controlling it is through Garageband, setting up a dummy microphone track; the Apogee One options appear in the level/monitor panel. The new one is class compliant and has a dedicated app to control the device, including latency, I believe.

I bought a Jam at a point in time when I didn't know the One could be plugged in. If I had known I probably would not have bought it. Of course, plugging in with a powered hub is a bit of a pain but the audio quality is well worth it. (I'm always on the lookout for a battery powered USB hub solution for this reason.) If anyone wants to buy a Jam (the original one) for cheap, we can talk. Note that I live in Spain so postage will be more than usual for overseas.

• Isn't ALL audio going to be coming and going outta the lightning connection soon?

• edited June 2014

Battery powered hubs are unobtanium. I found one a few years ago, looks like a mug warmer because it also has a PV cell on top, but it's discontinued now and besides was only about 1500 mAH. Instead I use a regular Belkin stick which takes a small barrel power plug, a USB to same cable (quite common), and a 12,000 mAH tablet charger from New Trent, which is so much power I've never been up long enough to run it down. With both QuThings and a Focusrite. Usually with a Graphite 49 too.

Have yet to find anything between that and a car battery and inverter.

• @dwarman, can you specify which Belkin hub and where you got the cable for the connection between battery USB and Belkin barrel? I would be grateful!

• Thanks for the breakdown @dwarman

• Awesome, many thanks @dwarman!

• I finally got my non-USB compliant version Apogee One to work with my iPad using a hub powered by an external battery. It was exciting to see it finally working since I've been after this goal for a while. I have yet to try it out in together with a keyboard, a Beatstep and Korg Nano Kontrol also plugged in. I'm imagining it'll be fine as the One is probably the most finicky device to drive. (I just hope the functionality doesn't disappear from Garageband.)

Thanks again, @dwarman. I ended up using a different Belkin powered hub and a Mophie battery, but the setup is otherwise the same.