Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BYOD Public Beta

Comments

• @chowdsp said:

@Gravitas said:
    @chowdsp

Is it possible to add a snap to grid for the modules?
    Other than that it is a really cool app.

Well done.

Thanks! I would like to have some sort of way to make the "pedalboard" look a bit more organized. I'm not sure if it will be "snap to grid" exactly, but that's something I'm investigating further for version 1.1 :smile:.

Cool. :)

• It sound so good, and covers so much territory! Wow!

Might only be me but I don’t see myself reaching for other guitar/bass modeling tools super often moving forward…

Only caveat is that I so love how it sounds at max oversampling. 😋

Thank you for this amazing work, Jatin.

• @ohwell said:
    It sound so good, and covers so much territory! Wow!

Might only be me but I don’t see myself reaching for other guitar/bass modeling tools super often moving forward…

Only caveat is that I so love how it sounds at max oversampling. 😋

Thank you for this amazing work, Jatin.

It’s awesome.
    I just wish the dry signal was stereo

• Hey Folks,

Just wanted to give a heads up that we've got some new Beta builds of BYOD in TestFlight, working towards release version 1.1.0. The link for the TestFlight builds is here: https://testflight.apple.com/join/vjQyAhGW

The main changes for iOS are that we've got a whole bunch of new modules, along with a new modulation routing system, and a few other little features and fixes. If you run into issues with anything, feel free to post on here, or add to our GitHub Issues page.

Thanks,
    Jatin

• This goes together really well with Riffler having a blast with the modules yesterday.

• Some how not able to load custom IRs from iCloud Drive or local, on iPadOS 16, seems a permissions error.

• Glad to see new modules coming. Doubleplusgood.

• @bobbyj8866 said:
    Some how not able to load custom IRs from iCloud Drive or local, on iPadOS 16, seems a permissions error.

Ooh, thanks for reporting this! I haven't testing on iPadOS 16 just yet, so there's likely something that will have to be updated there.

• edited November 2022

@chowdsp said:

@bobbyj8866 said:
    Some how not able to load custom IRs from iCloud Drive or local, on iPadOS 16, seems a permissions error.

Ooh, thanks for reporting this! I haven't testing on iPadOS 16 just yet, so there's likely something that will have to be updated there.

I have this problem in iOS15. I was loading an IR from both my iCloud Drive -- and Files shows it as having been downloaded -- and also from a folder OnMyIpad.

FWIW, I think this issue has been around for a while.

• Thanks for the extra info espiegel! I was able to make some changes to the file browser workflow yesterday that seem to be working in my local testing. I submitted a new build to TestFlight today, so hopefully you all can try it out shortly!

• New build fixed the loading!

• @chowdsp said:
    Thanks for the extra info espiegel! I was able to make some changes to the file browser workflow yesterday that seem to be working in my local testing. I submitted a new build to TestFlight today, so hopefully you all can try it out shortly!

The IR loading works!

I just noticed that the AU parameters could use names even if just Param1, Param2, etc

I realize that some trial and error will be needed in any patch to know which of those will relate to a particular knob, but numbered names would help keep track of what one has tried.

If possible, it would be great if there were a way to turn on labels that would help while trying to figure out the parameter name to knob mapping in a particular patch.

• maybe something like this

• @espiegel123 said:
    maybe something like this

Or maybe Loopy Pro could get a more advanced mapping function?!

Ie. tap 'learn' on a Loopy Pro controller, open AUv3 Plug-In window and tweak a knob and the 'controller' would use the AUParam that is modified.

This could be also used to auto-generate multiple controllers...

ie. in the LoopyPro AUv3 window tap 'Add Controller for Touched Parameter', while enabled each parameter that is touched gets an auto-generated controller until the function is disabled.

I'd prefer this method in favor of scrolling thru lists of parameters to map.

AUM already works in a similar way when you want to map an AUParameter to Midi CC.

Anyways, as I'm not a Loopy Pro user take the above as 'Brain Farts' from me...

• @Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:
    maybe something like this

Or maybe Loopy Pro could get a more advanced mapping function?!

Ie. tap 'learn' on a Loopy Pro controller, open AUv3 Plug-In window and tweak a knob and the 'controller' would use the AUParam that is modified.

This could be also used to auto-generate multiple controllers...

ie. in the LoopyPro AUv3 window tap 'Add Controller for Touched Parameter', while enabled each parameter that is touched gets an auto-generated controller until the function is disabled.

I'd prefer this method in favor of scrolling thru lists of parameters to map.

AUM already works in a similar way when you want to map an AUParameter to Midi CC.

Anyways, as I'm not a Loopy Pro user take the above as 'Brain Farts' from me...

The feature you speak of that AUM has is useful for midi learn but not so much in this case where I am sending a message directly to the AU..or in Drambo or any case where it useful to know the param’s name.

• @espiegel123 said:

The feature you speak of that AUM has is useful for midi learn but not so much in this case where I am sending a message directly to the AU..or in Drambo or any case where it useful to know the param’s name.

Gotcha...

This is always tricky with plug-ins that do not have fixed parameters or even fixed number of parameters.
    What BYOD could do is to update the AU parameter tree when adding new devices to the preset.

LoopyPro would then have to check for updates to the parameter tree before showing the list of available parameters.

Cheers!

• @Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

Gotcha...

This is always tricky with plug-ins that do not have fixed parameters or even fixed number of parameters.
    What BYOD could do is to update the AU parameter tree when adding new devices to the preset.

LoopyPro would then have to check for updates to the parameter tree before showing the list of available parameters.

Cheers!

What I suggest would not require updating the parameter tree names when dynamically..I’m just suggesting a way to see what parameters associated with interface items are called. Seems like it would be much simpler.

• @espiegel123 said:

What I suggest would not require updating the parameter tree names when dynamically..I’m just suggesting a way to see what parameters associated with interface items are called. Seems like it would be much simpler.

Yeah that could work!

There is a similar issue with Drambo when it is used as an AUv3...
    I think the best solution there would be to have a handful of global parameters that could be assigned to various destinations.

Having all parameters exposed would not be practical and would easily top the AUParameter limit making things wonky.
    (For example BM3 only shows the first 256 AUv3 parameters).

But yeah, a simple 'show parameter name' could work but I'm also in favor of automatically adding a controller to the host for a touched controller when mapping is enabled.

Which ever is easiest to and fastest to implement, both methods work.

• @Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

Yeah that could work!

There is a similar issue with Drambo when it is used as an AUv3...
    I think the best solution there would be to have a handful of global parameters that could be assigned to various destinations.

Having all parameters exposed would not be practical and would easily top the AUParameter limit making things wonky.
    (For example BM3 only shows the first 256 AUv3 parameters).

But yeah, a simple 'show parameter name' could work but I'm also in favor of automatically adding a controller to the host for a touched controller when mapping is enabled.

Which ever is easiest to and fastest to implement, both methods work.

Sure both are useful. One will work regardless of host.

• @Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

Gotcha...

Cheers!

Thanks again for the mention! I actually stumbled across this problem in my own testing a couple days ago, but haven't worked out a solution just yet.

What BYOD is intendeing to do is basically the solution outlined here (updating the parameter tree, and alerting the host that the parameter tree has been changed). This way the host can get some information about the actual parameter names from the various modules in BYOD. In every DAW/plugin format I've tested with on desktop, this seems to be working fine:

For some reason it seems like there's something specific to AUv3/iOS that works a little differently, so I'll have to do some experimenting to try to get that working.

• @chowdsp said:

@Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

Gotcha...

Cheers!

Thanks again for the mention! I actually stumbled across this problem in my own testing a couple days ago, but haven't worked out a solution just yet.

What BYOD is intendeing to do is basically the solution outlined here (updating the parameter tree, and alerting the host that the parameter tree has been changed). This way the host can get some information about the actual parameter names from the various modules in BYOD. In every DAW/plugin format I've tested with on desktop, this seems to be working fine:

For some reason it seems like there's something specific to AUv3/iOS that works a little differently, so I'll have to do some experimenting to try to get that working.

Wow! That would be amazing.

• Yeah, looks like this is going to work!

• Also, please test in GarageBand. An oft-overlooked but still very popular DAW on iOS (and desktop).

• @NeuM said:
    Also, please test in GarageBand. An oft-overlooked but still very popular DAW on iOS (and desktop).

Have you had problems with BYOD on GarageBand?

• @NeuM said:
    Also, please test in GarageBand. An oft-overlooked but still very popular DAW on iOS (and desktop).

Yes! I usually split my test about 50/50 between AUM and GarageBand. I should probably add Drambo and/or Loopy Pro to the test cycle at some point.

• @chowdsp said:

@NeuM said:

Yes! I usually split my test about 50/50 between AUM and GarageBand. I should probably add Drambo and/or Loopy Pro to the test cycle at some point.

Thanks!

• With either the released or beta version the interface goes unresponsive in AUM, can’t change settings etc. iPad os 16.1.1

• Hi. I'm sorry if my report has already been reported by someone else or if it is currently being fixed.
    Using the plus/minus buttons on the bottom left of the screen of BYOD 1.0.9 (1.0.9), the cables and modules are misaligned. It happens both standalone and when loaded into AUM.
    (But it may be because my iPadOS is not the latest version.)
    iPadOS14.8.1 / iPadPro10.5

• I'm not an English speaker so sorry for my poor writing.

BYOD 1.0.9 (1.0.9)
    -In my case, every time I launch BYOD, whether standalone or loaded into AUM, it asks me if I want to sign in with my Apple ID.
    BYOD 1.0.2 (1.0.2) asks me as well.

-When I use the Purchase Add-On Modules feature on the BYOD loaded in AUM and tap the Purchase button and then cancel the purchase, that BYOD freezes.
    If that BYOD is unloaded and then reloaded into AUM, that BYOD is frozen from the beginning. But the "%" display to the left of the cog icon of that BYOD is moving back and forth between 1% and 2%.
    After taskkilling(?) "old AUM" and loading "new AUM", the BYOD loaded into "new AUM" does not freeze and can start normally.

• BYOD 1.0.9 (1.0.9)
    Tapping repeatedly on either of the preset navigation(?) buttons to the left or right of the current preset name will cause BYOD to crash.
    -The crash occurs whether BYOD is standalone or loaded into AUM.
    -Tapping the preset navigation button after a particular preset was displayed several times seemed to me to be more prone to crashes.
    For example, tapping the "◁" button repeatedly causes a crash after "Nirvana" is displayed several times, in my environment.
    But crashes also occur with other presets, so I’m not sure the exact conditions. For example, if the ▷ button is tapped repeatedly instead of the ◁ button, BYOD will always crash as well.
    -So my current thinking is very simple. Anyway, tapping either of the preset navigation buttons repeatedly always crashes BYOD.
    -In my case, my iPad seems to have a heavy response when I tap the preset navigation button, so maybe the crash happens because my iPad is old.