Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BYOD Public Beta

Comments

• @NeuM said:

@Ailerom said:
    I always wanted to stack fuzz on fuzz. I finally got my chance. Such fuzziness. Love it! Just flicking around between bridge and neck, trying to show a few tones, chugging, power chords, lead etc. Squire Strat with HB's.

More fuzz than a steel wool sweater.

Yet still wondering, is it really enough Fuzz.

• There is never enough fuzz. Back to work!

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    There is never enough fuzz. Back to work!

Amen!

• A nice and very welcome dirtbag :)
    Not sure if known issue - IR loader only works in standalone mode. The browser doesn’t pop from AU and freezes the plugin.

• I can’t get an IR to load, it tells me it cannot find the IR I just selected.

• @Ailerom said:
    I always wanted to stack fuzz on fuzz. I finally got my chance. Such fuzziness. Love it! Just flicking around between bridge and neck, trying to show a few tones, chugging, power chords, lead etc. Squire Strat with HB's.

Nice!. Love the sound.
    Have you tried the mixer module to do parallel fuzz?. I like it a lot. You can go stupid crazy with fuzz and then dial in some “sharper” tone in so you still have some definition.

What do the “guitar scientists” in this forum think about this app?. I really can’t judge, fuzz or distorsion specially, other than if I dig it or not. I’m also totally biased as I love the tape plugin and matrix delay by @chowdsp so I’m facing BYOD with the mindset that the algorithms are super good, although I have no idea what makes a fuzz algorithm good. I love the concept of having all these massive distorsión possibilities in a single app!.
    Which reminds me of octaver fuzzes!. @chowdsp any chance of adding an octaver module?. I’m a sucker for Octave fuzziness. I love the Blue Furr pedal in ToneStack, I think it’s based on the blue MXR pedal. It’d be a grrreat and much welcome addition!.

• @bobbyj8866 said:
    I can’t get an IR to load, it tells me it cannot find the IR I just selected.

Same here, can’t load custom IR’s on standalone. And as auv3 on AUM trying to select “custom” just freezes the plugin beyond recovery.

• @tahiche said:

@Ailerom said:

Nice!. Love the sound.
    Have you tried the mixer module to do parallel fuzz?. I like it a lot. You can go stupid crazy with fuzz and then dial in some “sharper” tone in so you still have some definition.

What do the “guitar scientists” in this forum think about this app?. I really can’t judge, fuzz or distorsion specially, other than if I dig it or not. I’m also totally biased as I love the tape plugin and matrix delay by @chowdsp so I’m facing BYOD with the mindset that the algorithms are super good, although I have no idea what makes a fuzz algorithm good. I love the concept of having all these massive distorsión possibilities in a single app!.
    Which reminds me of octaver fuzzes!. @chowdsp any chance of adding an octaver module?. I’m a sucker for Octave fuzziness. I love the Blue Furr pedal in ToneStack, I think it’s based on the blue MXR pedal. It’d be a grrreat and much welcome addition!.

I was thinking of going 2 parallel Fuzz into one. Not sure if it can be done but I'll be trying it for sure.

• @Ailerom said:

@tahiche said:

@Ailerom said:

Nice!. Love the sound.

I was thinking of going 2 parallel Fuzz into one. Not sure if it can be done but I'll be trying it for sure.

Sure it can!. What can go wrong?. Fuzzy feedback?. Bring it on! 🤟🤟🤟😃

• @tahiche said:
    Couple of thingies, mostly related to UI,

• Am I the only one that’s having a hard time making cable connections?. Many times I press on the connection circle and nothing happens, I’m just dragging air… The “hot zone” seems to be very small, specially at lower zoom. Hard to hit.
    • Also the visual indicator, the little orange dot is covered by your finger so you can’t see it. Maybe the whole module/pedal should change color, glow, border when you you’re on “connect mode”. As it is, specially when zoomed out, I just press and drag hoping the cable shows up, many times in vain.

• I have a similar problem with the long-press menu, it’s covered by the finger/hand and thus hard to read and operate.

• I’d personally prefer it if there was a fixed, global place where the current selected module stuff would appear. Info, replace, reset…
    • In line with the above, and maybe as a solution for the lack of screen space… What if the pedals where just little boxes with color/name and the actual controls appeared when selecting them?. Sort of like the Helix editor (below). Only the selected module displays the controls. I do see that it can be useful to see all the module’s settings at once as to know what’s going on. Maybe make it an option so that you can expand/contract the modules globally?. There’s many ways and options but I do find that making modules smaller/bigger, contract/expand would make it more usable and fix the mentioned “small touch area” issues.

Thanks for the feedback! For the cable connections, I definitely want to make the "hot zone" a bit bigger, as well as give some visual feedback so it's easier to know whether or not you're in the hot zone... It's a little easier on desktop since i can enable the visual feedback as soon as the mouse enters the hot zone, whereas on touch screen, there's no way to know until after the finger hits the screen.

For the long-press menu on the editors I was hoping to avoid having a "selected module" concept, but I've definitely also felt the frustration of not being able to see the menu under your finger... I'll try out a few other options there.

The idea of having "minimized" modules and then selecting them to show the controls is definitely a cool idea! I'll investigate a bit more, but at the moment that may have to wait until after the first release...

@Ailerom said:

Sounding nice :).

@tahiche said:

Yeah, having an Octaver would be cool! I'll add it to my list, but that one also may not make it into Version 1.0.

A couple other things:

• The crash when trying to load a custom IR in the AUv3 will be fixed in the next beta
    • I haven't been able to re-create the issue with not being able to load a custom IR from the standalone app... right now only wav/aiff files are supported, so maybe that's the issue?
    • I've gotten a few reports of the plugin crashing when trying to edit a preset, but I haven't been able to recreate the crash. Has anyone been able to get it to happen somewhat reliably?
    • If anyone has cool presets (especially of the "Player" variety) that they want to be added to the "factory" presets, definitely share them! I did a bit of research to try to figure out what sort of pedal chains were used by a couple of my favorite guitarists, but i'm sure there are folks who know much more about that sort of thing.
  • @chowdsp : i have run into a handful of crashes when creating presets but try as I might, I have been unable to reproduce them. One thing that I have noticed, is that if that happens, the host itself sometimes needs to be restarted -- as if there are some variables that persist across instantiations in the host's boot cycle that get reinitialized when the host gets reinitialized.

I wonder if, without impacting the DSP efficiency, the input module could have a level parameter. I realize that I can add a Clean Gain module but I have to do this so often in order to get my input level at an optimal level to drive some of the functions that it feels like it would be helpful on the input module itself.

Similarly, it seems like it might be useful to have an option to turn on a parameterless hard limiter on the output.

• Ok, if the IR is on my iPad, it loads. But if trying to take it out of Thafknar which is on my iCloud Drive, no worky. The IR IS downloaded from the cloud, I checked.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @chowdsp : i have run into a handful of crashes when creating presets but try as I might, I have been unable to reproduce them. One thing that I have noticed, is that if that happens, the host itself sometimes needs to be restarted -- as if there are some variables that persist across instantiations in the host's boot cycle that get reinitialized when the host gets reinitialized.

I wonder if, without impacting the DSP efficiency, the input module could have a level parameter. I realize that I can add a Clean Gain module but I have to do this so often in order to get my input level at an optimal level to drive some of the functions that it feels like it would be helpful on the input module itself.

Similarly, it seems like it might be useful to have an option to turn on a parameterless hard limiter on the output.

Hi Ed! Thanks for the update on the preset crashes, I'll have to keep investigating there. For the input gain, there's an input gain control along the top bar (or bottom bar if you're on desktop). The reason it's on the bar is because the input gain is not saved with presets. I'm actually planning to move the input "mode" selector to the bottom bar for that reason too. The hard limiter is a good idea too, maybe that could go in the settings menu.

@bobbyj8866 said:
    Ok, if the IR is on my iPad, it loads. But if trying to take it out of Thafknar which is on my iCloud Drive, no worky. The IR IS downloaded from the cloud, I checked.!

Ooh, this is helpful! There's probably some permission that needs to be set so that the app can access iCloud files. I haven't used iCloud in a few years...

• Would it be possible for this to have a randomizer without destroying my ears, speakers, device or the universe?

• edited March 2022

Hey all!

There's a new TestFlight build ready, which I'll make "live" in a couple minutes. I wanted to mention that since a bunch of the processors have been renamed, previously saved presets and sessions may not load properly. So if there's anything you've got saved which you're particularly attached to, please take a screenshot or something like that, it in case it gets lost.

Other changes include:

• Fixed IR file loading in AUv3
    • Added permissions to access iCloud files (I've tested locally, but please let me know if this still isn't working for you)
    • Improved workflow for working with cables
    • New processors are created by long-pressing on the background
    • Renamed preset save/edit actions, and added preset reset and delete actions
    • Processor setting menus are now attached to a button instead of a long-press
    • Fixes to port ordering for multi-input/output processors
    • New "Warp" and "Metal Face" processors
    • Added limits for zoom levels

I also wanted to ask about the presets server... it doesn't seem like there's been much activity there. The original motivation for it was to make it easier to share presets, but it's a fairly large amount of effort to maintain if not too many people will be using it. Unless there's a bunch of people who would like it to stick around, I'm thinking of scrapping it, and spending time working on some simpler methods for sharing presets.

@jolico said:
    Would it be possible for this to have a randomizer without destroying my ears, speakers, device or the universe?

That sounds like a good version 1.1 feature... definitely might require some sort of volume regularization though, which could be tricky.

• @chowdsp
    Been having fun testing this. Apparently I haven't been paying enough attention as I did not know of this feature

IR file loading

• @audiblevideo said:
    @chowdsp
    Been having fun testing this. Apparently I haven't been paying enough attention as I did not know of this feature

IR file loading

Oh yeah, I suppose it's a little bit hidden:

• Under the new module menu go to: Tone -> Amp IRs
    • In the "IR" menu, select "Custom"
    • A file browser should open, and you can load any .wav or .aiff file to use as an IR

Questions like this are helpful since I'm still trying to figure out how to put together a user manual for the plugin.

• edited March 2022

I was not able to register for the preset server but never reported that, sorry. Edit, I got registered but the plus sign to add a module is gone in the new version?

• @chowdsp said:
    Hey all!

There's a new TestFlight build ready, which I'll make "live" in a couple minutes. I wanted to mention that since a bunch of the processors have been renamed, previously saved presets and sessions may not load properly. So if there's anything you've got saved which you're particularly attached to, please take a screenshot or something like that, it in case it gets lost.

Other changes include:

• Added permissions to access iCloud files (I've tested locally, but please let me know if this still isn't working for you)

I also wanted to ask about the presets server... it doesn't seem like there's been much activity there. The original motivation for it was to make it easier to share presets, but it's a fairly large amount of effort to maintain if not too many people will be using it. Unless there's a bunch of people who would like it to stick around, I'm thinking of scrapping it, and spending time working on some simpler methods for sharing presets.

@jolico said:
    Would it be possible for this to have a randomizer without destroying my ears, speakers, device or the universe?

That sounds like a good version 1.1 feature... definitely might require some sort of volume regularization though, which could be tricky.

Is the server just for storing one's own presets?

• @espiegel123 said:

@chowdsp said:
    Hey all!

Other changes include:

@jolico said:

Is the server just for storing one's own presets?

Seems like it, i thought it’d be like a “cloud preset” thing where we can automatically share presets and are available to others. That’d be really cool.
    If it’s just for one’s own presets across devices, @chowdsp i don’t think it’s worth the extra effort.

• @chowdsp said:
    Hey all!

Other changes include:

@jolico said:

The cable operation is a lot better!. Makes a huuuuge difference 👏
    I also like the “clog” button for the processor menu.
    A couple of things:

• I really don’t like long pressing stuff, specially when there’s no indication that long pressing will do anything. So in line with the “cog menu” above I’d keep the “+” as a method to add a module. There’s nothing inviting to long press on the background, I don’t think that’s a good UI decision, at least if there’s no alternate method, so maybe you could keep both: long press and “+” button.
    • The module buttons (settings, power, delete) are pretty small, which is ok, but it’s easy to accidentally delete a module (tragedy) when trying to bypass, or move a module so I’d either: have a confirmation popup to delete a module or get rid of the delete button and move the “delete” to the settings menu. Edit: since there’s “undo” it’s probably not such a big deal to accidentally delete…

Here’s a big feature request… Being able to save module settings, sort of like a “presets per module” that you could access from the modules settings. Makes sense specially for the IR loader is which an amazing addition, you could have your favorite IRs ready from within the module.
    Taking this further, and just going silly here… it’d be amazing if you could combine and save module combos, ( sort of like instrument racks in Drambo ) you could then have your “big muff drive + big muff tone + eq + custom ir “ variation ready to use…
    This is an amazing app! 👏🤟🤟🤟

• Glad you fine folks are doing all the testing. Sounds like this is shaping up nicely. Can't wait til this comes to the App Store.

• edited March 2022

The idea for the preset server is:
    1. You can sync your own presets to the "cloud"
    2. Any presets that you save as "public" can be searched and downloaded by anyone
    3. If you want to share a "private" preset, you can get a URL that someone else can use to download the preset.

So far, I've only implemented part 1, but I'm trying to decide if it will be worth it to implement the other two. One alternative I was looking at was doing something like GoodHertz does with their preset URLs.

@tahiche said:
    The cable operation is a lot better!. Makes a huuuuge difference 👏
    I also like the “clog” button for the processor menu.
    A couple of things:

• I really don’t like long pressing stuff, specially when there’s no indication that long pressing will do anything. So in line with the “cog menu” above I’d keep the “+” as a method to add a module. There’s nothing inviting to long press on the background, I don’t think that’s a good UI decision, at least if there’s no alternate method, so maybe you could keep both: long press and “+” button.
    • The module buttons (settings, power, delete) are pretty small, which is ok, but it’s easy to accidentally delete a module (tragedy) when trying to bypass, or move a module so I’d either: have a confirmation popup to delete a module or get rid of the delete button and move the “delete” to the settings menu. Edit: since there’s “undo” it’s probably not such a big deal to accidentally delete…

Here’s a big feature request… Being able to save module settings, sort of like a “presets per module” that you could access from the modules settings. Makes sense specially for the IR loader is which an amazing addition, you could have your favorite IRs ready from within the module.
    Taking this further, and just going silly here… it’d be amazing if you could combine and save module combos, ( sort of like instrument racks in Drambo ) you could then have your “big muff drive + big muff tone + eq + custom ir “ variation ready to use…
    This is an amazing app! 👏🤟🤟🤟

For the "new module" workflow, I think I'll bring back the "+" button, and leave the long-press behaviour in as well.

Having something like presets that can be saved per-module or per-"group of modules" would definitely be cool! I'll add that to the feature list for version 1.1 :)

• This is a great idea, I will add that if you are able to switch components like caps and resistors like chiptune pro but in a audio pedal way! Great idea, I made my own horrible psychical distortion box and so while I learned this seems to be better. Cheers ti a Great idea.

• @chowdsp : if BYOD were to take off, a way of searching and finding presets through a setver wild be great...but since the effort to code it might be applied elsewhere, it might be the kind of thing where you code things so that is addable later. In the meantime, if there is an easy way to export presets, they could be shared via a service like patchstorage.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @chowdsp : if BYOD were to take off, a way of searching and finding presets through a setver wild be great...but since the effort to code it might be applied elsewhere, it might be the kind of thing where you code things so that is addable later. In the meantime, if there is an easy way to export presets, they could be shared via a service like patchstorage.

At the moment, it is possible to directly access the preset files on desktop, so they can then be shared or edited fairly easily. I had some trouble with this on iOS, mainly because the AUv3 plugins are stuck using a "sandboxed" file system which is a little bit separate from the main file system. I'll try investigating this again and see if I can work something out.

I think for the moment, I'll skip the preset server, and try adding some simpler copy/paste options. It's definitely an idea I'll want to come back to in the future, but I want to brainstorm a bit more, and try to make it simpler all around.

• Hi All,

I'm about to publish a new TestFlight build of BYOD. Barring any major issues, this will likely be the final beta build before the official release.

As with the last beta, there's a chance that previously saved presets may be missing or unable to load, so please take screenshots of any presets you would like to remember. Moving forward I'll make sure that previously saved presets can always be recalled.

For now I've removed the preset server, but I've added options for copying/pasting presets. On desktop it's also possible to load presets from a file, and view the folder where you're own presets are being stored, but I have not yet been able to get these features working for iOS.

Thanks!

• @chowdsp said:
    Hi All,

I'm about to publish a new TestFlight build of BYOD. Barring any major issues, this will likely be the final beta build before the official release.

As with the last beta, there's a chance that previously saved presets may be missing or unable to load, so please take screenshots of any presets you would like to remember. Moving forward I'll make sure that previously saved presets can always be recalled.

For now I've removed the preset server, but I've added options for copying/pasting presets. On desktop it's also possible to load presets from a file, and view the folder where you're own presets are being stored, but I have not yet been able to get these features working for iOS.

Thanks!

This app is a thing of freaking beauty.

• @chowdsp

Is it possible to add a snap to grid for the modules?
    Other than that it is a really cool app.

Well done.

• @Gravitas said:
    @chowdsp

Is it possible to add a snap to grid for the modules?
    Other than that it is a really cool app.

Well done.

Thanks! I would like to have some sort of way to make the "pedalboard" look a bit more organized. I'm not sure if it will be "snap to grid" exactly, but that's something I'm investigating further for version 1.1 :smile:.