Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which iPad to buy for iOS music creation?

Hello folks. . .

I've a ton of Audiobus-compatable Apps I've been using on my iPhone. I plan on picking-up an iPad in the next few days. I don't necessarily need one with the biggest screen or best quality graphics. However, I'd like it to run Audiobus and compatible Apps without any issues. Can some of you give me a comparison of how well they work on different generations as far as processing speed, latency, memory and comparability? Do I need the latest model or can I go back to a 2 or 3 in order to save some cash? I would like one with a fair amount of memory and would rather spend money on that than the latest model with the best graphics. . . I think. What can folks give me a heads-up about?

Thanks in advance. . .

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

"Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away. . . Only dimly aware of a CERTAIN UNEASE in the air. . ."

• Pink Floyd

Comments

• edited June 2014

If you can, hold off until the next iPad coming this September/Oktober. The RAM is a bottleneck in all current devices. That said, you can get away with surprisingly much though, if you really baby sit the resources available on your iPad.

What I can say is that the Air is about 5x faster then the iPad 2/3, CPU wise. 2x faster then the iPad 4, give or take. So if you don't want to wait until the next iPad this fall, anything less then the iPad 4 wouldn't be a good choice. If you know that you are going to want to use CPU heavy things, like high-end effects and synths, the Air is a major step up from any earlier model, but the iPad 4 isn't exactly a slouch either.

Another thing to consider is that when the new models are released, the previous ones are usually being sold off in droves for a decent price (used).

• Tell me more about the Focusrite.

"Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away. . . Only dimly aware of a CERTAIN UNEASE in the air. . ."

• Pink Floyd
  • And thanks for all of the input so far.

• Pink Floyd
  • @DD829 said:

I'd buy a new iPad mini and the new focusrite itrack dock. Perfect combo to make music with. Check it out.

What about folk with fat fingers, like mine. Is the mini suitable?

• For performance reasons I think the 128gb iPad Air is the way to go. It's also a very expensive way to go. Smaller storage capacity models and even the previous generation are still awesome tools and a lot can be done with them. With lesser models you'll find trouble with apps the require a lot of computation power such as iSem.

• With a good file management 32gb iPad Air is more than enough if you use it mainly for music. I've always had 16gb versions using a fair bit of audio and survived.

• Thanks. Any more thoughts?

• Pink Floyd
  • Personally I'm gonna wait for the new models, hoping for more RAM and a super-duper A8 chip. Maybe 64GB could be enough, but maybe not. I don't use a lot of samples, but some super-heavy apps should be factored in.

• Thanks again for the help. Birthday is on the 25th. Hoping the wife is taking all the hints. Petty sure she knows that I'm picky enough about electronics that I'll get to pick it out. May sound shallow to some, but I think anyone that's into audio and electronics would sound just as selfish. . . Thoughts?

I'm thinking that if I'm combining everyone's suggestions well and am trying to be reasonable about how much dough I spend, like to get (at least) a 64GB, latest generation model. I need to look at the prices first, though.

*** ** * ANYONE KNOW A QUALITY DEALER OF iPADS? *** ** * I wouldn't be upset about a refurbished model. Throw me links to some sites that ship quickly, have lower prices than others and have quality service, in general.

Thanks in advance. . .

• Pink Floyd
  • I've bought three "5" condition pre-owned iPads from Cowboom.com and haven't had any problems. I don't think I would gamble with a "4" condition. The 5's are usually very clean. They tend to overstate any damage on the devices in the descriptions. One that we bought said that it had a slightly lifted screen in one corner, and when we got it neither my wife or I could see anything at all. You do want to wait for a better deal though. The prices there fluctuate a lot. And new users get free shipping, and you can usually stack a $20 or $30 off coupon on top of the deal, which should negate the sales tax (search around for codes).

• Yup. Cowboom. It's Best Buy's outlet. I've purchased 4 iPads fom them. All very clean (rated 5 and up). As standard operating procedure they list 'slight surface scratches' as part of every description. I've yet to find any surface scratches. Very satisfied.
    Once you are on their email list, they'll send you notices of what they want to dump as a flash sale. You have to be willing to wait and pounce when the price is right but excellent deals can be had. Also, scroll through their endless lists on their website. Sometimes the best deals are buried.

Keep in mind, most don't come with the power supplies or headphones.

• How do these prices compare to Apple reconditioned ones, which come with full warranty?

• No comparison if you get one of the flash sales that don mentioned. A few months ago I got a 16GB iPad 3 for my wife for around $225 shipped. A year and a half ago I got an iPad 4 16GB for $325 when everyone else at the time was asking $450 or more.

• My advice would be don't get too obsessed about getting the optimum specs because the life cycle of every new version of the iPad is not much more than 6 months. I have a 4 with 128 GB - which was very expensive and rapidly superseded. Im glad i got the big memory tho. There is nothing worse than running out of memory space and I would say don't go lower than 60GB unless you see yourself as a light user. In summary - get big memory and a series 4 or Air if you can afford it, but don't worry if you cant

• The latest is always the best,I would hold off to see what new ipad gets released this year.I have a iPad mini first gen,witch is fine so long as I don't overload it,but I'll be saving up a hopefully upgrade this year when the new models come out.

• It also depends on what you can afford as well,for me my plan is to hopefully upgrade every second year,so long as I can afford it:-)