Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How I make lo-fi ambient “tape” loops using koala sampler.

Hello. I’ve recently had a couple of people asking me on Reddit and YouTube how I make ambient stuff with koala sampler and so I made a short tutorial. It’s nothing special and I’m not really any kind of expert in anything, but I thought someone might get a kick out of it somehow. Maybe someone just starting out or something.

Anyway here it is, I’m no @Gavinski

Comments

• "What Is Music?
    Sounds are all around us, from birds chirping and waves lapping against a coastline to cars honking in traffic. But sometimes sounds are put together in purposeful ways to create a specific atmosphere or to express ideas or emotions. Such organized sounds are called music.

Music is a collection of coordinated sound or sounds. Making music is the process of putting sounds and tones in an order, often combining them to create a unified composition. People who make music creatively organize sounds for a desired result, like a Beethoven symphony or one of Duke Ellington's jazz songs. Music is made of sounds, vibrations, and silent moments, and it doesn't always have to be pleasant or pretty. It can be used to convey a whole range of experiences, environments, and emotions."

... taken from a music course on study.com

you are a musician... and a magician.

thanks for the video and the explanation of how you use Koala. i picked up quite a few useful tips and ideas that'll help get me out of the rut i've found myself in.

thanks again for sharing.

• Nice, no charlatanism feelings necessary.

• Nice work; to the point and very practical, I might have been tempted to chop that vocal up a bit maybe, use the sequencer or something.

• That was really cool, thanks for posting. It’s opened my eyes to some new possibilities.

• Very inspiring; many thanks.

• edited February 2022

One of my favorite things with koala is taking a one shot, pitching it, flipping it, around while copying/pasting/bouncing etc, then ending up with a handful of different pads to play to see what I can conjure up. Never really made a drone like this though. Good idea.

• @sevenape said:
    Hello. I’ve recently had a couple of people asking me on Reddit and YouTube how I make ambient stuff with koala sampler and so I made a short tutorial. It’s nothing special and I’m not really any kind of expert in anything, but I thought someone might get a kick out of it somehow. Maybe someone just starting out or something.

I enjoyed watching your video. Very interesting. Thank you!

• @wag said:
    "What Is Music?
    Sounds are all around us, from birds chirping and waves lapping against a coastline to cars honking in traffic. But sometimes sounds are put together in purposeful ways to create a specific atmosphere or to express ideas or emotions. Such organized sounds are called music.

Music is a collection of coordinated sound or sounds. Making music is the process of putting sounds and tones in an order, often combining them to create a unified composition. People who make music creatively organize sounds for a desired result, like a Beethoven symphony or one of Duke Ellington's jazz songs. Music is made of sounds, vibrations, and silent moments, and it doesn't always have to be pleasant or pretty. It can be used to convey a whole range of experiences, environments, and emotions."

... taken from a music course on study.com

you are a musician... and a magician.

thanks for the video and the explanation of how you use Koala. i picked up quite a few useful tips and ideas that'll help get me out of the rut i've found myself in.

thanks again for sharing.

Thank You so much for lovely words!!! If It's been a little bit useful, it's been worthwhile! Thank you!!

@SimonSomeone said:
    Nice, no charlatanism feelings necessary.

<3 Thank you!

@richardyot said:
    That was really cool, thanks for posting. It’s opened my eyes to some new possibilities.

@Philandering_Bastard said:
    Very cool!

@Krupa said:
    Nice work; to the point and very practical, I might have been tempted to chop that vocal up a bit maybe, use the sequencer or something.

@skiphunt said:
    Noice :)

@Simon said:
    I enjoyed watching your video. Very interesting. Thank you!

Thank you everyone for watching and thanks for taking the time to comment as well.

@krupa That's a great idea I will give it a go. I've certainly cut pieces of vocals before but never properly chopped them up!

@Poppadocrock said:
    One of my favorite things with koala is taking a one shot, pitching it, flipping it, around while copying/pasting/bouncing etc, then ending up with a handful of different pads to play to see what I can conjure up. Never really made a drone like this though. Good idea.

Thanks! Yeah Koala is so good for just experimenting with flipping sounds it's great! Thank you for listening!

• This was really cool. Also thanks for linking to those other videos.

• I like this.

May I ask, to anyone using both Koala and Loopy Pro; is this something you could just as well do in Loopy Pro, or is there something about the Koala resample workflow which makes it more suitable?

I haven't picked up the IAP for these yet. Trying to see if I should just go for LP directly. Although I do like Koala ...

• nice sounds :)

what i ♥ about ipad music (or one of the things) is this ability to "play" entire creations Live ...

when Live play is both the moment, and the creation

where these receipes, these maps for creation, are the new songs to pass along and learn

the ipad is such a beautiful instrument :)

• @sevenape said:

Nicely done!

• @bleep said:
    I like this.

May I ask, to anyone using both Koala and Loopy Pro; is this something you could just as well do in Loopy Pro, or is there something about the Koala resample workflow which makes it more suitable?

I haven't picked up the IAP for these yet. Trying to see if I should just go for LP directly. Although I do like Koala ...

All of that can be done in Loopy Pro. A lot comes down to whether a particular workflow feels more natural inspiring to you. Loopy's primary focus is different from Koala's -- so it might take a little more learning to learn how to put the bits and pieces together -- not a lot, but some.

• edited February 2022

@sevenape Brilliant Stuff. Thanks for sharing this. I'm doing this type of exploration now that I'm more comfortable with manipulating samples...so this video is timely, helpful and inspiring.

I used the same sort of technique on this track I made last week:

Thanks for the glimpse behind the curtain as they say!

Cheers!

• Thank you for listening and taking the time to write @cian @espiegel123 @simonnowis @bleep @echoopera <3 it means a lot to me!

@simonnowis i really agree with you, for me the iPad is at its best when it isn’t trying to be a desktop DAW but when it becomes this awesome expressive modular instrument. It really blows my mind, but, yeah it is a beautiful instrument!

@echoopera thanks for sharing your track I really really really like it! Sounds like you are having a blast with the 404! Look forward to hearing more!!!

• Very nice! 👍 Enjoyed it, good tricks.

• Dude... this is really amazing. YOU are amazing, my friend.
    True musicianship being shared with us. I feel honored.

This is the inspiration I needed :wink: :love:

• Nice workflow. Thanks for sharing 😊

• @tahiche said:
    Very nice! 👍 Enjoyed it, good tricks.

Thanks for taking the time dude!

@senhorlampada said:
    Dude... this is really amazing. YOU are amazing, my friend.
    True musicianship being shared with us. I feel honored.

This is the inspiration I needed :wink: :love:

Wow I'm flattered!!! Thank you for watching!!!!! xxx

@Lorichs said:
    Nice workflow. Thanks for sharing 😊

Thanks very much for listening!

• Damn, Daniel.

Terrific piece, and even that corny vocal became mesmerizing by the end! And absolutely, it's the KLF, and you've nailed the spirit if "Chill Out" entirely. Both impressed and inspired. Thanks so much for that.

And you'd be a good person to ask: Besides the Orb's recent "Chill Out World," is there anything you'd recommend that approximates the journey of "Chill Out"?

• Enjoyed this a lot. Really helpful and ver inspiring. Will no doubt watch it again, very soon :)

• @echoopera said:
    @sevenape Brilliant Stuff. Thanks for sharing this. I'm doing this type of exploration now that I'm more comfortable with manipulating samples...so this video is timely, helpful and inspiring.

I used the same sort of technique on this track I made last week:

Thanks for the glimpse behind the curtain as they say!

Cheers!

Nice track! Following :)

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Damn, Daniel.

Terrific piece, and even that corny vocal became mesmerizing by the end! And absolutely, it's the KLF, and you've nailed the spirit if "Chill Out" entirely. Both impressed and inspired. Thanks so much for that.

And you'd be a good person to ask: Besides the Orb's recent "Chill Out World," is there anything you'd recommend that approximates the journey of "Chill Out"?

Thanks so so much for saying lovely things!!! That’s really kind of you!! Im really glad it could be of use!!!

Now let’s get down to real business, as far as albums that approximate ( and approximate is the key word here you could do worse than these:

1. Jimmy Cauty and Alex Pattersons “space” album:
      Basically sounds exactly like an album that’s half orb half klf. Which it is.

2. Strictly kev (dj food) and mr tricks “sound of mu” project which was a hoax “ lost album” they made in 2005 and the whole concept and thing was fun at the time: https://www.mixcloud.com/strictlykev/the-sound-of-music/

3. This mix by portals is also really good https://www.astrangelyisolatedplace.com/blog/2019/10/24/portals-the-klfs-chill-out-a-new-dimension kind of nails the vibe.

I’d love to hear of more cos that album is kind of like sacrament to me.

On a related note, if you haven’t read J Higgs “klf: chaos, magic, music” it’s totally worth it, I’m not a klf nerd but that book blew my mind, it’s a total trip of a biography that’s as fake as it is true!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16166062-klf

If you want the ebook I can send it to you, it’s so worth it.

• @el_bo said:
    Enjoyed this a lot. Really helpful and ver inspiring. Will no doubt watch it again, very soon :)

Thank you so much 😊 I’m just glad to be of some use!!! Haha!!!

• @sevenape yeah that klf book is great. Bill Drummond is just nuts, in a good way :)

BTW I'm pretty sure that Jimmy Cauty has been involved with the Orb from the very early days, in the early 90s he was working with both bands.

• @richardyot said:
    @sevenape yeah that klf book is great. Bill Drummond is just nuts, in a good way :)

BTW I'm pretty sure that Jimmy Cauty has been involved with the Orb from the very early days, in the early 90s he was working with both bands.

I think you are right! I think some of the tracks on space were supposed to go on adventures beyond the ultraworld or something!?

And yeah high five on that book!!! it was such a nice surprise reading it!!

• edited February 2022

OK, was hoping that the KLF book would be available as an audiobook — I have too many Audible credits to burn. It's not, alas, so I bought and will report back. (Speaking of burning, I hope to learn that the story of the incinerated £1 million was either apocryphal or regretted, lol.)

I do like the "Space" track and really surprised at the invention of the Portals mix.

• Thank you for spending the time demonstrating your techniques. Koala is great for manipulating audio quickly into new layers of sound.