Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

TikTok is Ruining YouTube

It's not the end of the world, it's just a small thing that annoyed me.

Sharing this small thing with a lot of smart people here on this beautiful forum is like a chicken soup for my soul :)

There is a new wave/trend of 30 sec videos, 45 sec videos, 58 sec videos on YouTube with shocking titles:

The best guitar solo of all time
The best sounding synth of all time
The most beautiful melody in the world
The best keyboard player in the world

It's the MO of TikTok if I'm correct (I never used TikTok, but I know what it is).

Ultra short videos + clickbait titles

Back in the days, a short video was a 200 seconds videos, not 20 sec.

«13

Comments

  • I never get this. Isn't it the sort of thing where if you don't watch it you don't get it?

  • All good here...

  • edited February 2022

    Sounds like @Montreal_Music needs a no bones day B)

  • Haha. Every generation has their own version of trash they enjoy.

  • I guess it might have come from TT, but whatever the case, the #shorts tag needs to DIAF.

  • Not sure I get the appeal of Tik Tok - it’s like a head on collision of stupidity and mediocre talent.

  • @michael_m said:
    Not sure I get the appeal of Tik Tok - it’s like a head on collision of stupidity and mediocre talent.

    Yep, but addictive.

  • @michael_m said:
    Not sure I get the appeal of Tik Tok - it’s like a head on collision of stupidity and mediocre talent.

    :D Just the name of the app alone is already a no-no to me. Sounds like an undergrad advertisement major's idea of wanting to be cool and attracting high school kids.

  • @michael_m said:
    Not sure I get the appeal of Tik Tok - it’s like a head on collision of stupidity and mediocre talent.

    TikTok has great content and can be quite addictive.
    That should not be overlooked.

    It also adjusts quite fast to things you currently like to watch, up to the point where you mostly see exactly what you were looking for.

    I had several phases with totally different content (dancing girls, singer, songwriter, crypto currencies, encryption, security, politics and lastly corona).

    Also, I collected many many websites, Twitter and YouTube channels from watching TikTok creators who happen to have much more and longer content at other providers - it's just another channel.

    I stopped watching because it was so addictive - I most too much sleep in the night.

    But yes, those very short videos just don't belong to YouTube 😅

  • edited February 2022

    Imho YouTube was ruined long before shorts came along, intrusive ads and constant nags to try the premium service are the real culprits here, shorts just happen to be the Turd on top of the cake..

    I use media human downloader to scrape the channels I watch now, it can pull entire channel content down in hd, zero ads or annoyance..

  • I pay for premium. It's worth it. Spend more time on Youtube than I do watching tv.

  • My 11 y o watches TikTok, I see it as an age/generation thing.

  • maybe you don't know it, but you can acually follow on Youtube just people who are making content interesting for you .. you can even choose for which accounts you are notified about every new video and which not, or you can easily pick in you stream whoch channels you don't want to be notifiet never again ..

    it works pretty well, it rarelly hapens i have in my stream notification about something which is not content i'm interested in ;)

    same works on twitter, instagram .. on any social media.. with a bit of effort you can pretty much perfectly tune what you see and what you don't see..

    agree with TikTok, it's plague, it's literally spreads infection if dementia .. worst of worst ..

    @supadom
    My 11 y o watches TikTok, I see it as an age/generation thing.

    more like degeneration thing :-D

  • One thing about tiktok, it doesn’t have clickbaity titles, it has no video titles at all ;)

  • edited February 2022

    What really worries me about this development is that I hear from more and more teachers that they find the young generation of students to be less and less able to focus on a longer text, video, lesson etc. ADHS figures sky rocketing. Also my own kids (22 and 15) are frustrated much earlier than I am if they can‘t figure out something. But to go deep into something you need to spend time and deal with a steep learning curve. You cannot master a DAW by watching a 5 min video. Modern pop music became more and more simple. Take any song of The Beatles or ABBA and you have complex chord progressions and key changes. Rick Beato complained about that on YT.

    Are we getting more dumb? The peak of western civilization behind us? Has social media and endless scrolling ruined our ability to go deep into things? That is actually the question. TikTok being just another symptom of that. Look at this forum… mostly old farts like me. Manual readers, LOL. Because we are still used to long reading and writing?

  • edited February 2022

    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but disliking any new type of social media is (in all cases, no exception) first and foremost a case of "I'm getting old". Including my dislikes in this area as well. 🤷

    @krassmann said:
    Are we getting more dumb? The peak of western civilization behind us? Has social media and endless scrolling ruined our ability to go deep into things?

    Every single comment of "things are going in the wrong direction" can be paired up with a similar comment going back to ancient Rome or Greece. And we have achieved a few things since then. So the good news is no, as a species we're not getting dumber. 👌

  • It’s all in the algorithms. You are to be given the content that you are allocated - not the content you want. Your preferences are being shaped.

  • edited February 2022

    TikTok being just another symptom of that. Look at this forum… mostly old farts like me. Manual readers, LOL.

    As an avid tiktok morning pooper I have to say there is great musicianship to be found on tiktok and people very fluid in music production if you just look around a little. Young farts like me ;)

    It’s all in the algorithms. You are to be given the content that you are allocated - not the content you want. Your preferences are being shaped.

    Also i dont have too much trouble finding the content i want because that is the content i interact with and the algorithm loves that. I rather have the problem that youtube is showing me too little content i „don’t want“ so I’m pretty much locked in into my bubble…

    Cant deny though that tiktok quickly sucks the joy out of your life if you overdo it…

  • edited February 2022

    @krassmann said:
    What really worries me about this development is that I hear from more and more teachers that they find the young generation of students to be less and less able to focus on a longer text, video, lesson etc. ADHS figures sky rocketing. Also my own kids (22 and 15) are frustrated much earlier than I am if they can‘t figure out something. But to go deep into something you need to spend time and deal with a steep learning curve. You cannot master a DAW by watching a 5 min video. Modern pop music became more and more simple. Take any song of The Beatles or ABBA and you have complex chord progressions and key changes. Rick Beato complained about that on YT.

    Are we getting more dumb? The peak of western civilization behind us? Has social media and endless scrolling ruined our ability to go deep into things? That is actually the question. TikTok being just another symptom of that. Look at this forum… mostly old farts like me. Manual readers, LOL. Because we are still used to long reading and writing?

    I used to worry that hotshot kids would be swooping in for my job and kick my ass. Thanks Vine, Instagram, Twitter and Tik Tok!

  • @robosardine said:
    It’s all in the algorithms. You are to be given the content that you are allocated - not the content you want. Your preferences are being shaped.

    Kind of like culture.

  • @cyberheater said:
    I pay for premium. It's worth it. Spend more time on Youtube than I do watching tv.

    THIS! There is so much quality content on Youtube. It's worth the measily fee.

  • @Liquidmantis said:

    @cyberheater said:
    I pay for premium. It's worth it. Spend more time on Youtube than I do watching tv.

    THIS! There is so much quality content on Youtube. It's worth the measily fee.

    Yup, to me youtube is a paid service with a free demo. No ads and picture in picture? done!

  • @supadom said:
    My 11 y o watches TikTok, I see it as an age/generation thing.

    My 12 year old watches it too. The only time I see adults watch it is when they look at conspiracy theory content, then spend half their time complaining when they go to re-watch it and it’s been taken down.

  • @ervin said:
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but disliking any new type of social media is (in all cases, no exception) first and foremost a case of "I'm getting old". Including my dislikes in this area as well. 🤷

    @krassmann said:
    Are we getting more dumb? The peak of western civilization behind us? Has social media and endless scrolling ruined our ability to go deep into things?

    Every single comment of "things are going in the wrong direction" can be paired up with a similar comment going back to ancient Rome or Greece. And we have achieved a few things since then. So the good news is no, as a species we're not getting dumber. 👌

    Yeah I don’t disagree with this assessment totally. But also if you bring up Rome or Greece, we straight up don’t build architecture like that anymore. And if you say it’s because it’s too expensive today then I say the people of the past must have been more economically advanced. You don’t see any NEW cathedrals going up. Hey but at least we got cool shit like health insurance, licenses to drive, and Netflix. So we’re not getting dumber just.....moving in a different direction let’s just say.

  • To repeat, beside lots of non-sense, like most media, TikTok also offers very very deep and interesting stuff and often is just used as a way to link to other media too.

    It may take some time till it offers you want you want to see, until then you will see videos about just any topic - what you watch and not skip determines what you get to see more.

    As a format, TikTok is sheer fantastic and can be more addictive than most other media.

    It's a messenger App compared to postal mail 😅🤗

  • @michael_m said:
    Not sure I get the appeal of Tik Tok - it’s like a head on collision of stupidity and mediocre talent.

    Just like YouTube, it has to learn your tastes to recommend content. My tiktok page is lots of cool synth stuff, memes, surreal art, short animations, and horror related stuff. Almost all very high quality.

  • @AudioGus said:

    @Liquidmantis said:

    @cyberheater said:
    I pay for premium. It's worth it. Spend more time on Youtube than I do watching tv.

    THIS! There is so much quality content on Youtube. It's worth the measily fee.

    Yup, to me youtube is a paid service with a free demo. No ads and picture in picture? done!

    Agreed. Pic in pic and background audio are huge for me. And obviously no ads.

  • @AudioGus said:

    @krassmann said:
    What really worries me about this development is that I hear from more and more teachers that they find the young generation of students to be less and less able to focus on a longer text, video, lesson etc. ADHS figures sky rocketing. Also my own kids (22 and 15) are frustrated much earlier than I am if they can‘t figure out something. But to go deep into something you need to spend time and deal with a steep learning curve. You cannot master a DAW by watching a 5 min video. Modern pop music became more and more simple. Take any song of The Beatles or ABBA and you have complex chord progressions and key changes. Rick Beato complained about that on YT.

    Are we getting more dumb? The peak of western civilization behind us? Has social media and endless scrolling ruined our ability to go deep into things? That is actually the question. TikTok being just another symptom of that. Look at this forum… mostly old farts like me. Manual readers, LOL. Because we are still used to long reading and writing?

    I used to worry that hotshot kids would be swooping in for my job and kick my ass. Thanks Vine, Instagram, Twitter and Tik Tok!

    Sorry, but if you think all modern pop is simple garbage, you just haven’t found the right stuff yet. There is some fantastic pop music being made right now.

    That said, I do think the lowering of attention spans is a real thing.

  • edited February 2022

    @ervin said:
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but disliking any new type of social media is (in all cases, no exception) first and foremost a case of "I'm getting old". Including my dislikes in this area as well. 🤷

    Perhaps, but I think there are good reasons to dislike the content of any media channel that aren’t dependent on age. For example, people have always had likes and dislikes of TV channels that transcend target audience age.

    However, there generally is a limited age range for the core audience of various social media channels. I would guess that Tik Tok has an audience younger than many social media channels, but I’ll stand corrected if data shows that to be wrong (not really concerned about the answer too much to research it myself).

  • wimwim
    edited February 2022

    @HotStrange said:
    Sorry, but if you think all modern pop is simple garbage, you just haven’t found the right stuff yet. There is some fantastic pop music being made right now.

    No way. It peaked with the Spice Girls and has been all downhill ever since. :D
    (ignored the rest of your post. tldr; )

Sign In or Register to comment.