Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Demo of GeoShred string mapping and creating a Sustain / Hold Button

@McD suggested the idea of a Sustain / Hold button so here is how to do it in GeoShred + some details of how to map strings in AUM for @CapnWillie.
I will try to do something incorporating ScaleBud 2 in a few days.

The first part of this video shows how to map each string in GeoShred to a different instrument.
The second part shows how to create a button on the GS control surface that will hold (sustain) notes played.

Part 1
a) Already set up are 6 different Roli Noise instruments and a MIDI instance of GS
b) The first 3 instances of Roli Noise have been assigned to GS channels 2, 3 and 4. These equate to strings 1e (the highest string), 2B and 3G.
c) The video shows connecting the remaining three instruments to channels 5, 6 and 7. These equate to strings 4D, 5A and 6E (the lowest string)

Part 2
d) Choose a GS preset of your choice, ideally one you have created for the purpose and have made sure there is room to place a new button.
e) Via The Control Surface menu option, click on a green +, click +, select Performance and scroll down to MIDI Out.
f) Select Switch and change the Label to Hold or whatever you want
g) Click on MIDI, click on Receive MIDI to switch it off, click in the box that will say Controller 22 (or something similar), scroll down to Sustain (64) and select it
h) Click Back and then Close. click Close and remember to Save your changes.

Now if you try this out you will find it does nothing!
This is because the Sustain message is sent on Channel 1 and we haven’t got anything mapped to Channel 1. So…

i) For each instrument you want to be able to Hold, in the demo case, the instruments for strings 5A and 6E on channels 6 and 7 respectively, assign GS Channel 1 via the AUM Channel Filter.

That’s it!

Comments

• Pretty cool. Now show us a jam with that setup!

• Sorry, couldn’t resist it…

• @GeoTony said:
    Sorry, couldn’t resist it…

Very good! I got a genuine deep laugh from this -- still laughing actually. Thank you!

(Also, I'm still pretty blown away with what you can do with GeoShred. I try but I really suck.)

• McDMcD
    edited February 2022

Thank you for disclosing the AUM rig... I'm curious what Role Noise presets are being used. I'm sure I already bought all the ones you used so it shouldn't be hard to find them... still. An AUM project file might hold your GeoShred magic and it would dial up the Noise presets too. Pretty please.

Can you think of a way to apply the sustain to only a one or a few channels within GeoShred?

If multiple HOLD buttons could be displayed and each assigned to a channel that would be best to keep everything within GeoShred. It would also be nice if they were "toggles" to free up that extra hand but that depends on your GeoShred technique if your a one or two handed player.

This might be a job for Mozaic using the PAD User Interface but screen real estate is always critical.

• Hi @McD , I just picked the Noise sounds at random, just to differentiate the strings. I will dig them out.
    The demo provides a way of nominating strings to apply the Hold to, in this case just the bottom two, but these are then fixed for the session.
    I have tried multiple buttons but there are two problems.
    One is that GS only outputs on Channel 1. I fixed that with a simple (my first) StreamByter code to map different CCs on Channel 1 to CC64 on different channels. This works when I examine the output in StreamByter but…
    The second is that it doesn’t appear to work I.e. only the Channel 1 CC 64 does anything. Do you happen to know if that is how it is supposed to work?
    I guess if you think about it each string on GS is like a keyboard and a keyboard can only have hold or not on it.
    I can think of a workaround by which buttons on the GS control surface bring in and take out groups of instruments that you want to hold but it would be a bit clunky.
    The button is a toggle by the way (if we are talking about the same toggle😊)