Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using AudioBus output as input with apps that only support IAA?

edited June 2014 in General App Discussion

Hi All!

I've been lurking around here in the forums for quite some time and enjoy it a lot, but for this I failed to find an answer.
The question is simple and may spark some new feature requests for AudioBus too :)

So...
Is it possible to use AudioBus output as an Input in IAA compatible apps?
(This would be convenient when recording sounds into apps that offer IAA Input but have no AudioBus support).

If yes, then how?

If no, how much work would it take to make an extra output option for AudioBus that makes it act like an 'Input' for IAA compatible apps?

I know most apps already have support for AudioBus and some offer AudioCopy/AudioShare workarounds.

I don't know if this is even possible to do, but I sure do hope so :)

/Samuel

Comments

• Audioshare has great IAA implementation and it has been mentioned here before to use Audioshare inside AB and then load IAA apps into Audioshare which might give you what you are looking for?
    Maybe I don't understand what you're asking?

• @yowza said:

Audioshare has great IAA implementation and it has been mentioned here before to use Audioshare inside AB and then load IAA apps into Audioshare which might give you what you are looking for?
    Maybe I don't understand what you're asking?

I know AudioShare has support for IAA nodes for processing and recording.

But let's imagine we have a 'host' like iMPC that only support IAA and you wanted to sample/record an instrument that only support AudioBus?

I know it's possible in some apps to use AudioCopy/AudioShare as 'temporary' storage to transport the sample, but it would be a lot more flexible to record the AudioBus output straight into the IAA 'Host'(I hope it's clear explanation).

/Samuel

• Samu, at this time, Audiobus does not have an native IAA support, although @Sebastian has said that it is a planned feature.

• @Audiojunkie said:

Samu, at this time, Audiobus does not have an native IAA support, although @Sebastian has said that it is a planned feature.

That's good to hear as it will make things a lot easier in the future.

• I wonder how hard it would be to make a bridge app, takes an audiobus output and sends it as a iaa input? Id pay a few bucks for that

• edited June 2014

@Buska said:

I wonder how hard it would be to make a bridge app, takes an audiobus output and sends it as a iaa input? Id pay a few bucks for that

Should be easy, right? Just make it an Audiobus output with both IAA host and IAA instrument...

• Excellent idea!

• edited June 2014

It's already possible. I set up the following in Audiobus.

• edited June 2014

Then I set up this in Audioshare outside Audiobus, but I reckon any IAA recording app would do...

• Just make sure that Magellan's FX are turned off if you don't wish to use them.

• Just make sure that Magellan's FX are turned off if you don't wish to use them.

I'm sorry but this does not work at all for me (iPad Mini 'Non retina', iOS7.1.1 & AudioBus 2) but thanks for the effort @PaulB

Just for fun i set EpicSynth (with arpeggiator on hold) in Input Slot, Magellan in Effects slot. So far so good, it makes sound as expected...

Now I start iMPC and select Megellan (tried both instrument and generator) and it is as quiet as can be, ie. no sound gets passed thru for recording and also Magellan stops working in AudioBus... There is apparently 'app conflict' of some kind here...

Sampling Magellan outside AudioBus using IAA works just fine.

I also tried nLOG Pro witch is another of my favorite Synths that can be used in the AudioBus FX slot, but it can't be used simultaneously with IAA and AudioBus.

It seems that this 'cross protocol (AudioBus<->IAA) gateway' can be quite tricky to fix.

So it's back to AudioCopy/Paste for now...

(Sidenote, i wish Animoog would get an update too, it uses 'outdated' AudioCopy).

/Samuel

• You skipped one of PaulB's steps. You need to open Audioshare outside of Audiobus, and load Magellan in Audioshare's IAA.

• @CalCutta said:

You skipped one of PaulB's steps. You need to open Audioshare outside of Audiobus, and load Magellan in Audioshare's IAA.

I used iMPC as IAA-Recorder not Audioshare.
    (No need to use IAA in AudioShare since it already supports AudioBus unless the source-app only has IAA)

Also sample editing in AudioShare could use some improvements and new color themes that are easier on the eyes that i hope will coming in future updates(currently i prefer the way AudioCopy works).

Guess this sample sharing and other issues could get some welcome change when iOS8 app-extensions and particularly file-picker extensions are implemented but i doubt that the far from all apps will be updated with the new features...

All i know for sure is that this mess with handling and inter app communication kills my creative flow.

/Samuel

• Yeah that's the point. As has been mentioned elsewhere on the board, iMPC's IAA implementation is buggy. Try Audioshare (no problem with trying to t-shoot)

• Lol. My method worked just fine for me, but I guess you prefer to believe I didn't bother testing it before posting. Best of luck in your endeavors.

• @PaulB said:

Lol. My method worked just fine for me, but I guess you prefer to believe I didn't bother testing it before posting. Best of luck in your endeavors.

@PaulB, I have no doubt that you tested it and really do appreciate the effort, thanks again.