Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Reaper Question: Recording virtual MIDI keyboards from AUv3 / VST ?

I had my first look at Reaper.

And directly ran into something strange.

I created a virtual instrument track with Animoog Z AU.
Then I armed that track, pressed record and played some notes.

But ...
Nothing got recorded in the track.

I tried both MPE and Omni / Channel 1 in Animoog Z and also tried several of the MIDI Input options of the track control.

To no avail.

Otherwise, I find the handling quite intuitive, but what hidden magic is required for this?
Or is this a general problem with AUv3?

To check this, I used the Reaper virtual keyboard and this time, MIDI got recorded ...
But of course, I want to use the Animoog Z keyboard, or that of any other AU / VST.

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• @tja said:

I guess you are on Mac (since you loaded an AU on Reaper) , which device you used for playing notes ? Animoog ? how? using mouse/touchpad ?

• @Korakios said:

@tja said:

I guess you are on Mac (since you loaded an AU on Reaper) , which device you used for playing notes ? Animoog ? how? using mouse/touchpad ?

Yes, Mac Mini M1 and I played the Animoog Z keyboard with the mouse.

• edited February 2022

@tja said:

@Korakios said:

@tja said:

ok, choose (right click on the track's rec button) to record the output (midi)

• tjatja
    edited February 2022

@Korakios said:

@tja said:

@Korakios said:

@tja said:

That gives the menu I already tried.

Enabled are "Monitor input", Record input (MIDI or audio) and "Input: MIDI" and in this I tried both "Virtual MIDI keyboard (All Channels)" and "All MIDI Inputs (All Channels)" ...

EDIT: I also tried "Input: force format (MIDI)" ... did not change nothing

• @tja said:

@Korakios said:

@tja said:

@Korakios said:

@tja said:

Enabled are "Monitor input", Record input (MIDI or audio) and "Input: MIDI" and in this I tried both "Virtual MIDI keyboard (All Channels)" and "All MIDI Inputs (All Channels)" ...

Are you sure Animoog Z on the Mac is transmitting MIDI?

• tjatja
    edited February 2022

@uncledave said:

@tja said:

@Korakios said:

@tja said:

@Korakios said:

@tja said:

Are you sure Animoog Z on the Mac is transmitting MIDI?

Hmm.
    No.

But tried both Omni and Channel 1 and MPE for input and output in the Animoog Z MIDI settings.
    So I would expect it to send MIDI.

But that would explain the situation ...

• On the Mac I don't see any MIDI output from Animoog in either MainStage or Reaper. I'm using MIDI Monitor, https://www.snoize.com/midimonitor/ to spy on the outputs and as a virtual source. When I run Animoog in standalone mode, then I do see the outputs in MIDI Monitor.

I don't know where the issue is since this does work in hosts on iOS.

• @NeonSilicon said:
    On the Mac I don't see any MIDI output from Animoog in either MainStage or Reaper. I'm using MIDI Monitor, https://www.snoize.com/midimonitor/ to spy on the outputs and as a virtual source. When I run Animoog in standalone mode, then I do see the outputs in MIDI Monitor.

I don't know where the issue is since this does work in hosts on iOS.

Many thanks!

I should better not try those i*OS AU Apps on macOS ... many may not have been tested for this at all.

I need to buy a good VST Synth, it seems.
    No idea what :-D

• @tja said:

@Korakios said:

@tja said:

@Korakios said:

@tja said:

Strange , post a screenshot (regardless of how Animoog behaves), input has nothing to do in this concept ,Reaper should give an option of record output

• @Korakios said:

@tja said:

@Korakios said:

@tja said:

@Korakios said:

@tja said:

Strange , post a screenshot (regardless of how Animoog behaves), input has nothing to do in this concept ,Reaper should give an option of record output

Not sure what exactly to screenshot here.

There is an Record option "Record output (MIDI)", but that creates a MIDI file.

And now it always seems to create the MIDI file :-O

• @tja said:

@Korakios said:

@tja said:

@Korakios said:

@tja said:

@Korakios said:

@tja said:

Not sure what exactly to screenshot here.

There is an Record option "Record output (MIDI)", but that creates a MIDI file.

And now it always seems to create the MIDI file :-O

ok, regardless how Animoog behaves ,this is the setting you must use (Record Output 'Midi') , if you want to record the plugin's midi output
    (you mentioned earlier all but no 'output' option ,that's why I though it was Reaper's bug)
    if the midi file is empty ,then it's Animoog bug unfortunately
    Maybe Animoog as AU has a setting to send to specific midi port and try to capture midi from that port (I guess OSX has loopback option for virtual midi port that echos the input to output)

• I think, I tried all possible combinations of Record and Input in the track, together mit OMNI/1 or MPE in Animoog Z :smiley:

• Those menus do not really have good descptions.
    Much room for interpretation and misunderstanding.

• @tja said:
    I think, I tried all possible combinations of Record and Input in the track, together mit OMNI/1 or MPE in Animoog Z :smiley:

the correct setting is in the first picture (output) , I guess Animoog has a bug as @NeonSilicon mentioned

• @Korakios said:

@tja said:
    I think, I tried all possible combinations of Record and Input in the track, together mit OMNI/1 or MPE in Animoog Z :smiley:

the correct setting is in the first picture (output) , I guess Animoog has a bug as @NeonSilicon mentioned

Any VST recommendation? 😅

• I went with Synthmaster One back when it was on sale. Cross-platform with iOS, and the widest range of synthesis methods. I've never bothered with Synthmaster 2.

• @wim said:
    I went with Synthmaster One back when it was on sale. Cross-platform with iOS, and the widest range of synthesis methods. I've never bothered with Synthmaster 2.

Thanks, @wim
    Not sure that I want to dash out $79 already ....
    First I need to decide on the DAW(s).

Meanwhile, I found this:

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/

There are also lots of free Synths.

• @tja said:

@wim said:
    I went with Synthmaster One back when it was on sale. Cross-platform with iOS, and the widest range of synthesis methods. I've never bothered with Synthmaster 2.

Thanks, @wim

Meanwhile, I found this:

Yeh, but I wanted something cross-platform. It was more like $29 on sale. But sure, there are tons of good free VST's available.

• @wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:

Thanks, @wim

Meanwhile, I found this:

Yeh, but I wanted something cross-platform. It was more like $29 on sale. But sure, there are tons of good free VST's available.

Synthmaster player is $5 at plugin boutique right now, that’s cross platform with the iOS version.

As far as recording the midi, if you are playing animoog’s onscreen keyboard there’s no midi to record in reaper most likely. @tja, you mentioned that the virtual keyboard in reaper did record the midi, so you probably need to input midi from a controller. You could use your iPad to do it with one of the controller apps.

• @mrufino1 said:

@wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:

Thanks, @wim

Meanwhile, I found this:

Synthmaster player is $5 at plugin boutique right now, that’s cross platform with the iOS version.

As far as recording the midi, if you are playing animoog’s onscreen keyboard there’s no midi to record in reaper most likely. @tja, you mentioned that the virtual keyboard in reaper did record the midi, so you probably need to input midi from a controller. You could use your iPad to do it with one of the controller apps.

you could even use animoog on the ipad as midi controller

• https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/

Top free synth

@tja said:

Any VST recommendation? 😅